MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've read bout the rotory midget, but as the K is more supported I chose to go down that route. I've got a pdf file on it if anyone's interested I could upload it to my site. I've also got a pdf magazine article on the k-series in a midget I could upload.

With the VVC thing, if you want big power AFAIK, you ditch the VVC mechs and go to solid cams. Piper do a conversion kit for it. Then you can use TBs teamed up with an aftermarket ECU to get nice power figures. One of the members of the midget BBS mentionel here earlier is running 210bhp in a midget and has been through 5 or 6 diffs and broke loads of driveshafts running that amount of power :D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
With the VVC thing, if you want big power AFAIK, you ditch the VVC mechs and go to solid cams. Piper do a conversion kit for it. Then you can use TBs teamed up with an aftermarket ECU to get nice power figures. One of the members of the midget BBS mentionel here earlier is running 210bhp in a midget and has been through 5 or 6 diffs and broke loads of driveshafts running that amount of power :D

Yes def interested in fitting solid cams, can this be done with ease and are we talking big money for the kit. Im sure you have heard it before but the VVC stands for Very Very Complicated. Would solid cams make the engine less complicated?

With regard to standard 1.8i VVC you dont get the power until around 5000rpm, the 1.8i is a bit throatier at the lower end of the rev band

·
Administrator
54,941 Posts
No need to ditch the VVC mechs anymore.

Far more power can be generated with than without thanks to the likes of DTA and Emerald ECU's that can control the VVC mechs.

Very old hat to even consider ditching them these days.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Didnt realise that! I knew an Emerald could control a VVC mech but just assumed it was wise to ditch it. Cheers for the info, I'll be keeping mine.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
This is all very interesting. I like it when people get classic cars and put modern engines in. How about the 1.8K Turbo?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The turbo was tempting and could be a possible swap once the K is already in place. I'm not sure on the clearances though although I know somebody in New Zealand will be attempting the conversion soon, after he got 3 brand new turbo engines when the dealers closed in NZ.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Also if anyones interested there is an article about the 4 wheel drive V8 midget in this months (march) MG Enthusiast. A 6 page spead IIRC. Definately worth a read.

·
In the Garage
mg_tf
32,807 Posts
Also if anyones interested there is an article about the 4 wheel drive V8 midget in this months (march) MG Enthusiast. A 6 page spead IIRC. Definately worth a read.
Had a good look at it last Sunday, looks even better in the metal then in the pictures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is all very interesting. I like it when people get classic cars and put modern engines in. How about the 1.8K Turbo?
I am busy putting a K in my classic mini...

regards turbo.. there is a guy here who has converted a 1.4 K to turbo all home made and got on RR 196bhp!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looks like a nice conversion, shame he's having a few probs with the turbos. I bet that thing pulls and pulls. Can you only fit a K into the clubmans? I take it its a tall order to fit into the standard mini?

·
Registered
18 Posts
No it fits in a round nose! you have to mod exhaust manifold and move alternator..

My frame is made to fit a round nose.. i am using a clubby so i can have a full size rad as i am going to race the ass of it!

this is not mine.. but an example of on in STD length round nose

21 - 33 of 33 Posts