MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,
Please can you help! I left my lights on and foolishly drained the battery, but when I went to release my MGF bonnet from the lever in the boot, but the cable has snapped,

The RAC managed to jump start it using cables into the engine, but sadly the battery will now not hold a charge so needs changing.

I have been told there is a way to do it from the grill, but I have no idea what I'm looking for! I can see the release block inferno too the radiator, but have no idea what to ho next

My MGF is 21 years old 'T' reg.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Its a request often asked but never fully answered on here-Its not answered because of the risk of theft.
I have read that access is possible but its not easy through the front grille or by releasing what fixings from the bumper you can get to. Thereafter, it's advisable to make emergency measures if you wish to keep the car. I'll leave that to your own imagination.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pat
Yes indeed that makes sense, sadly my MG is on its last legs and not worth going to the garage! So I guess I'll just have to call out the RAC again! Unless someone can DM me on this forum?

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Some techniques here - does it help...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Moods see my posts regarding this. No quick solution, the security plate fitted is just that, a security plate to prevent unauthorised access. It can be done thro the front grill but with considerable difficulty. It is a diy task, as it must be with labour rates of at least £40/hour

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,851 Posts
Are you sure that the cable is snapped? Sometimes it is possible to reengage the bonnet latch with someone pushing down on the bonnet whilst another person operating the bonnet release.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No GNU, MG tf owner for quite a few years, retired for many more, realistic,practical and importantly, have actually carried out the repair as described by myself. Also rebuilt the engine, fitted a new clutch, uprated the suspension etc, but that’s another story.
However always willing to learn, how did others negotiate the security plate, not with a long stick certainly as it wouldn’t be much of an anti theft security plate if that was possible.
So not a trader and never have been.

·
Premium Member
mgf
162 Posts
Good morning,
Please can you help! I left my lights on and foolishly drained the battery, but when I went to release my MGF bonnet from the lever in the boot, but the cable has snapped,

The RAC managed to jump start it using cables into the engine, but sadly the battery will now not hold a charge so needs changing.

I have been told there is a way to do it from the grill, but I have no idea what I'm looking for! I can see the release block inferno too the radiator, but have no idea what to ho next

My MGF is 21 years old 'T' reg.
There is a very easy solution to open the bonnet and takes about 4 minutes preparing a tool and 10 seconds to open it. message me with the registration details and I will forward the info. Be aware that I am in Australia and my not get to your message due to the time difference. The cable probably hasn't broken, it has just fallen out of the lock. What we should all be doing is check the cable to the latch is secure. I have zip ties on my cable near the latch release to stop that happening again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts