MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Bonnet release cable snapped

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  deepfat 
#1 ·
Good morning,
Please can you help! I left my lights on and foolishly drained the battery, but when I went to release my MGF bonnet from the lever in the boot, but the cable has snapped,

The RAC managed to jump start it using cables into the engine, but sadly the battery will now not hold a charge so needs changing.

I have been told there is a way to do it from the grill, but I have no idea what I'm looking for! I can see the release block inferno too the radiator, but have no idea what to ho next

My MGF is 21 years old 'T' reg.

#2 ·
Its a request often asked but never fully answered on here-Its not answered because of the risk of theft.
I have read that access is possible but its not easy through the front grille or by releasing what fixings from the bumper you can get to. Thereafter, it's advisable to make emergency measures if you wish to keep the car. I'll leave that to your own imagination.

#4 ·
Some techniques here - does it help...

#5 ·
Moods see my posts regarding this. No quick solution, the security plate fitted is just that, a security plate to prevent unauthorised access. It can be done thro the front grill but with considerable difficulty. It is a diy task, as it must be with labour rates of at least £40/hour

#8 ·
No GNU, MG tf owner for quite a few years, retired for many more, realistic,practical and importantly, have actually carried out the repair as described by myself. Also rebuilt the engine, fitted a new clutch, uprated the suspension etc, but that’s another story.
However always willing to learn, how did others negotiate the security plate, not with a long stick certainly as it wouldn’t be much of an anti theft security plate if that was possible.
So not a trader and never have been.

#9 ·
There is a very easy solution to open the bonnet and takes about 4 minutes preparing a tool and 10 seconds to open it. message me with the registration details and I will forward the info. Be aware that I am in Australia and my not get to your message due to the time difference. The cable probably hasn't broken, it has just fallen out of the lock. What we should all be doing is check the cable to the latch is secure. I have zip ties on my cable near the latch release to stop that happening again.

#10 ·
However always willing to learn, how did others negotiate the security plate, not with a long stick certainly as it wouldn’t be much of an anti theft security plate if that was possible.
So not a trader and never have been.
[/QUOTE]
PM me Mike, make a tool in 5 minutes and open the bonnet in about 5 seconds. That is on an MGF. Must go down to the garage and see if I can do it with the MGTF.

#12 ·
This has happenned to me once in 22 years of owning my MGF.

I took the bumper off by using a very narrow socket set to get to the bolts attaching the bumper.to the car via the panel gap. A small socket set from Halfords should do it (assuming they do mail order) - I have a Sealeys small socket/bit set that I used (you can buy via mail order). You tease the socket from one side vi the gap to each bolt and then attach the socket drive to the socket to turn. Reattaching the bumper to the car is easy as the bonnet is open.

I replaced the broken cable with new PLUS attached a second cable to the front and left hanging in the boot the back end of the second cable if and until the existing cable breaks as insurance.

#14 ·
I recently had this problem. The cable had stretched giving enough slack that it slipped off the mechanism.
My car doesn't have a security plate so it was a simple matter of using a hook tool to pull on the mechanism through the grille.
I then shortened the cable and put a new ring fitting on the end.
If you can see the return spring and operating lever through the grille you can get at the lever to open it as above.

#17 ·
I have suggested in the past about cutting into the cable in the cabin but am not aware of anyone trying this yet and I'm dying to know if it would work.
Sadly I think it may not work in this case, the OP's original post says snapped as opposed to jammed which suggests to me the boot end is floppy which further suggests it has become detached at the lock end. The OP could try pulling it thru from the boot, if he can pull it thru that would confirm it has snapped. This would also indicate where it has snapped and whether there is any remaining inner cable in the cabin area.

#21 ·
The security plate is easy to remove just undo the 2 bolts marked "latch protection" of course it will drop down and probably wear a hole in your rad so its best to do it right with the bumper off. One of the captive nuts on mine was seized and twisted the plate, I thought that's not much security, but then again I wasn't trying at a distance with a long piece of metal to bend it away from the lock.
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.