MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breaks over.

Neate may or may not turn up as usual.

James Cole leaves Tony Gilham Racing with Robb Holland returning to take his seat at least for this event.

James Kaye back in a Honda as AmD dumps the Golf for the time being.

Warren Scott to drive the second NGTC Passat.

I'm staying well away from Wrathall's legal issues.

Live qualifying on http://www.itv.com/btcc/live/ from around 15:20 onwards Saturday 3rd August.

Live race day coverage on ITV4/ITV4 HD and itv.com Sunday 4th August, 11:15 - 18:00.

Provisional BTCC race times:

Race 1 - 12:02
Race 2 - 14:35
Race 3 - 17:02

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
I understand Neate has finally made it into the free practice sessions today although he was 20th on the board when I looked at the results. Bit of a mega late start to the season IMHO and may as well have put all the effort into starting afresh next year.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Hadn't heard about Frank tbh, but I just am shocked, the least he could do out of respect for the family is not to continue in the BTCC at least until the trial is over. I can't imagine any fans being behind him.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Tordoff on pole and Plato P2 with Sheddon P3, really hope Sam can get his first BTCC win. Neal is a way down the grid as well.

Neate is 23rd after qualifying, no real surprise there IMHO.

The MG's do seem to so far be dominating at Snetterton.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,895 Posts
Bookies have Tordoff @ 15-8 with Plato favourite @ 5-4 for the first race. Be nice to see an MG 1-2.

I think I'll have a few quid on Plato and a bit of each way ( @ 20-1 ) Turkington. That'll stop 'em ... ;)

Race 1 off just after noon. Race 2 around 2.35 and final race about 5 pm.

Over six hours continuous coverage on ITV's Freeview Channel 24.

Dry at Snetterton, rain at Gloucester.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Excellent 1,2 for KX brilliant win for Sam. Just shows the difference Sam has brought to the team. Neate in 23rd again what a surprise lol Sam has done more in the MG6 than Neate did last year by a long long shot.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Sadly a complete disaster for Plato and Tordoff in race 2. Tordoff managed to finish at least even though it was 18th place. Plato retired due to unconfirmed engine problems. Really seems bad luck does hit MG just when the cars are going really well. Possible braking problems for Sam caused him to drop back after a good start to the race. Not to mention all the rest of the action in race 2.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
What a flipping weekend for MG, going into it so strong then to have such bad luck, Plato going out in R3 is not good as he doesn't score any points again, quite a spectacular crash admittedly. Sam did well and a very good drive from him again to make up some good places and do some nice passes.

Think Sheddon's move on Turkington's eBay car was a bit nasty to be fair, he'd be the first to moan when he gets punted from behind. And really fed up with both Honda drivers moaning about not having enough boost, none of the other teams whinge about it like Neal and Sheddon.

This weekend could have been so promising for MG but luck decided otherwise.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,895 Posts
Think Sheddon's move on Turkington's eBay car was a bit nasty to be fair, he'd be the first to moan when he gets punted from behind.
Agreed. Time and again those "PIT" moves taking out leading drivers spoils things for me. Neal has been pulling that same stroke for many years and I cannot remember him ever being punished.

It is clearly not a racing incident. The Honda drivers, particularly Neal, have been getting away unpunished for years doing that. Spoils it all for me.

Even ten years ago when MG-R entered MG ZS cars, the MG Drivers (including Turkington ) get 'nerfed' out with a "PIT" nudge on a rear quarter and nothing done. Whilst if they committed a lesser move, were penalised time and again. Since then I have not taken the BTCC seriously because of that unfair inconsistency ...

PIT moves :~ Precision Intercept Technique.

... Used extensively by Police in the USA to take out miscreants' fleeing cars who fail to stop when chased by Police patrols. Very effective and makes spectacular viewing.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
I think there is a good chance he will get a penalty for that one, nearly all the non-Honda drivers have been careful not to do that most of the year and it wasn't just a case of slowing Turkington down, he was actually off the track. With the Honda drivers doing it every race it is clearly unfair. May only be a 10 second penalty though...

That MG is well built, was half expecting Plato to drive on!

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Well it took a while to decide but Shedden has kept his win but paid for it in penalty points, not sure what his penalty points total is now and if he may be loosing some grid positions?

Only Honda drivers got penalties and Shedden with the most:

Penalties:
Andrew Jordan received two penalty points for an incident relating to driving standards in race two

Gordon Shedden received three penalty points and a £500 fine for an incident relating to driving standards in race three

·
Registered
470 Posts
It seems to me that daddy's boy Neal gets away with most things and as long as Shedden is still his team mate he will too!

Jordan was getting more out of his car so why is whining Neal going on about boost?

It winds me up BTCC sometimes. Hats off to Tordorff, good first win and good showing in R3 with a good position at the end despite his grid position

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Keeps the win for five hundred quid ...Bargain!
Indeed and I bet the team pays!

Had to look up the rules, hadn't realised that verbal warnings could result in lost grid places, think they need to loose more championship points than this though:

2.2.1. Should a driver be attributed a total of eight or more penalty points by the BTCC Clerk and/or the BTCC Stewards during the current Championship, the BTCC Clerk may deduct up to a maximum of 8 Championship points from the total score of that driver even if this results in a minus score. In addition, the BTCC Clerk will refer the matter to the Administrator who may impose any of the additional Championship penalties set out in 4.4.

Should a driver subsequently be attributed a total of 12 or more penalty points by the BTCC Clerk and/or the BTCC Stewards during the current Championship, the BTCC Clerk may deduct up to a maximum of 23 Championship points from the total score of that driver even if this results in a minus score. In addition, the BTCC Clerk will refer the matter to the Administrator who may impose any of the additional Championship penalties set out in 4.4.

The deduction of Championship points in this way will only apply to the Drivers’ Championship, the Independents Trophy for Drivers Championship and will not apply to the Manufacturers/Constructors or Teams Championship or Independents Teams Championship.

4.4.5 Any driver who has received three reprimands (including verbal and/or written warnings and/or any such penalty as may relate to driving standards) will, on receiving the third reprimand, be given the additional penalty of adding six grid places to that driver’s start position for the next available Race where the full penalty can be taken. This same penalty will continue to apply to a driver’s every third reprimand, relating to driving standards, thereafter.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,895 Posts
Yes, those are the rules but ... Human nature being what it is. ...

Bit like when a player merits a second yellow card more so than the first one but the Referee bottles out the second time.

Very annoying and it will ensure the foul practice continues as the penalties are almost meaningless and ineffective.

£500 ... bargain!

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Apparently Jordan will have a six place grid penalty and 36Kg of ballast for Knockhill - wont make it easy to win.

His penalties yesterday where for hitting Shedden!

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some good some bad yesterday.

Nice to see Tordoff get his first win.

Driving standards was something else as some of you have noted.

By contrast over in the WTCC yesterday, Muller punted Monteiro out of 2nd place for which Muller was awarded a drive-through penalty.

Why should anyone be allowed to keep their place and the points for wrecking someone else's race unintentionally or otherwise?

Also nice to see 888 built a strong car, got a nice look at the NGTC subframes and floor from an angle I wasn't expecting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Driving standards was something else as some of you have noted.

By contrast over in the WTCC yesterday, Muller punted Monteiro out of 2nd place for which Muller was awarded a drive-through penalty.

Why should anyone be allowed to keep their place and the points for wrecking someone else's race unintentionally or otherwise?
One reason BTCC is more fun to watch for me is being a high-contact series (thanks to low driving standards). WTCC (along with most racing series) is boring.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One reason BTCC is more fun to watch for me is being a high-contact series (thanks to low driving standards). WTCC (along with most racing series) is boring.
If I wanted to watch banger racing I'd watch banger racing.

There is no real skill involved punting someone off apart from not going off with your victim.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts