MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IPL again makes way for the BTCC. :)

Lets see who can make their tyres last, not sure if the softs will be available.

Live qualifying on http://www.itv.com/btcc/live/ from around 15:25 onwards Saturday 4th May.

Live race day coverage on ITV4/ITV4 HD and itv.com Sunday 5th May, 10:45 - 18:00.

Provisional BTCC race times:

Race 1 - 12:02
Race 2 - 14:32
Race 3 - 17:17

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Lets see who can make their tyres last, not sure if the softs will be available.
They have always said no softs for Thruxton.

The 3 Hondas have qualified ahead of the two MGs - when are the Hondas going to have their turbo boost reduced? I thought it was going to be this race but it doesn't look like it!

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know anywhere this can be streamed live to the US?

Alan...
Not legally which cannot be discussed here, however you can try Unblock-Us or Overplay for workarounds, these are pay services.

They have always said no softs for Thruxton.

The 3 Hondas have qualified ahead of the two MGs - when are the Hondas going to have their turbo boost reduced? I thought it was going to be this race but it doesn't look like it!
As said in the Donington thread the Honda's are quicker in the corners but lack the straight line speed as proven again today.

If anything the TOCA engined NGTC cars need to be pegged back abit.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
The boost adjust is calculated on lap times though and the Hondas have the fastest lap times, at least I think it is, it's hard to find any info on it.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The boost adjust is calculated on lap times though and the Hondas have the fastest lap times, at least I think it is, it's hard to find any info on it.
They are the fastest overall again from being quicker in the corners, all publicly available timings and data are available from TSL-Timing as you know.

Don't forget Plato is carrying max ballast into the event being the championship leader.

Best sector times from qualifying, the MG is not that far off really considering.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Don't forget Plato is carrying max ballast into the event being the championship leader.
Yes, I assume that if he can stay the championship leader for a few more races then the max ballast penalty will be effectively wiped out by being given less of a boost penalty and he will become even faster down the straights! Being championship leader for the first few races could be a big advantage over the season. Maybe why he has been careful not to get involved in accidents and then have to charge through from the back this year?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I assume that if he can stay the championship leader for a few more races then the max ballast penalty will be effectively wiped out by being given less of a boost penalty and he will become even faster down the straights! Being championship leader for the first few races could be a big advantage over the season. Maybe why he has been careful not to get involved in accidents and then have to charge through from the back this year?
Pretty much and Tordoff also seemed to confirm it, link: http://mg.co.uk/news/2013/05/03/sam-tordoff-knowing-your-ballast-from-your-boost-restriction/

I don't think the way they calculate boost has changed so it will be the average of the past 2 meetings.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If that link is right then Jordan is hurting Neil and Shedden by giving them extra boost penalty! I thought it was going to be calculated on individuals this year but I guess Tordoff is correct.
Yep pretty much but again nothing new as I'm sure I remember Matt Neal moaning about Jordan last season. The thing is will Tordoff hurt Plato this season as he is probably quicker than Neate.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Isn't the MG6 bodyshell naturally heavy anyway?
Base weight for all NGTC cars is set at 1280KG, I don't know if they are running over or not.

Anyway the race 1 shunt with Plato and Shedden was more down to Sheds moving over to take his line rather than trademark Plato punt.

That was some bad luck for Andy Jordan at the end with the puncture.

Race 2 was a bit more interesting, Shedden must of found Matt Neal's hidden bag of Plato hate in the truck, nice drive from the back though.

Jordan's slide was nicely caught, in-car footage:

Shame about the last round today.
Yeah bad luck JP, at least he wasn't mugged by the Honda train.

The start of race 3 well Jack Goff was getting pushed off at every available opportunity. Jeff Smith's spin towards the end was also abit of bad luck.

Nicely done TOC and Team Hard, never did I think the Passat CC would up there so soon.

Oh well at least Plato loses his 45KG max ballast going into Oulton Park in 4/5 weeks time with 27KG instead.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
The TV coverage fails to show Shedden fighting Plato after his trip to the pits in race1! He came back out of the pits just ahead of Plato, slowed Plato up, dropped behind and despite being a lap down attacked Plato at every corner for nearly half the race until Tom OC caught up at which point Plato deliberately went wide and slammed his brakes on at the entry to the complex forcing Shedden to pass and allowing Plato to defend against TOC. For some reason Shedden then went forward and unlapped himself :confused: I think there should be a penalty for doing that but I don't think there is a rule as any decent driver wouldn't have done it. The TV was showing the midfield all that time, but Plato's comments in the interview were very justified!

The TV also missed some of the BMW spinning tops, the drivers must get dizzy doing that! The longer wheelbase rear wheel drive cars didn't have the same problem but where just a bit slow.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Either those Civic bumpers are not very strong or Plato hit Shedden rather harder than it looked:

Might explain why he was annoyed although I still think it was his own fault.

(Found the picture in my camera.)

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice pic, I think Plato hit him several times before he ran across Plato. Any he's apologised over twitter. You should always be allowed to unlap yourself after all there are points all the way down to 15th these days.

After seeing what happened to Tarquini in the WTCC race he was pretty lucky to have slowed the car down as it could of been much worse.

Didn't know you went, hope you had a nice day. :)

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Nice pic, I think Plato hit him several times before he ran across Plato. Any he's apologised over twitter. You should always be allowed to unlap yourself after all there are points all the way down to 15th these days.

After seeing what happened to Tarquini in the WTCC race he was pretty lucky to have slowed the car down as it could of been much worse.

Didn't know you went, hope you had a nice day. :)
The damage wasn't there 2 meters earlier, I have another pic, no pic of the crash though, there is a limit to what a pocket camera can do! And from my viewpoint there was just a big cloud of dust anyway. Maybe Plato got him in just the wrong place and the Civic isn't armoured just there.

Good to see that apology, guess he watched the TV coverage and thought the same as the rest of us!

Yes it was a nice day, best weather at Thruxton for years, although last years was interesting.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's cool, BTW did you do the pitlane walkabout? Just curious to know if you had a closer look at the Pirtek Civic's as they appeared to be running with different intakes and a intercooler/brake duct cooling mesh shield that the TD Civic's were not using.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
No, I was enjoying the support races instead, although those Porches were pretty boring, just seemed to follow each other round with 50m between each other! And the Clios were disappointing too, got through the Complex on the first lap without even touching each other instead of the normal carnage as they all pile into the same point.

If all the Civics count for the same boost adjustment then it seems a bit unfair to have different intakes and intercoolers! I'll be hoping Andy keeps his advantage :)

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, I was enjoying the support races instead, although those Porches were pretty boring, just seemed to follow each other round with 50m between each other! And the Clios were disappointing too, got through the Complex on the first lap without even touching each other instead of the normal carnage as they all pile into the same point.

If all the Civics count for the same boost adjustment then it seems a bit unfair to have different intakes and intercoolers! I'll be hoping Andy keeps his advantage :)
So you got bored with clean racing then? :lol:

It looked like they were but I think it was just the mesh shield over the intercooler and brake duct vent.

I believe the 3 Toyota teams run different aero packages from each other and Wrathall is the only one I know running a Toyota based engine, so would this mean boost calculations for Speedworks and Morgan's team are truly fair, isn't this what Homologation should be for?

I'm sure I heard every car apart from the Honda's had a boost increase for this event, so it's upto everyone else to catch up now in setup tweaks rather than moaning.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts