MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd start a thread based on the worst BTCC driver in history. I used to watch it religiously throughout the 90's as a teenager, but to be honest when the new regulations came in back in 2001 I did lose a bit of interest, mainly due to the cars being littered with stupid boy racer rear wings and bodykits, looking like they'd driven straight through the modifying section of Halfords.

Over the past few years I grew a bit more interest in the series, and albeit a bit behind the times, I have now managed to aquire Sky+ HD so now record every round on ITV4 much to the other halfs delight, not.

Anyway, back in the day so to speak, I would have said the worst driver was Patrick Watts, that was until Andy Neate was handed a set of keys....

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Complete waste of a second car!
Plenty of off-road data via Neate's... adventures this season
may help if they decide to go into rallying :shake:

Hope the testing before next season really gives MG a better chance
Plato can work a pig but Neate sure can't

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Chris James is without doubt the worst driver in BTCC history.
Horrible little man, with a big chip on his shoulder. The VXR is a top 8 car, but James barely gets in the top 20.
To make matters worse he claims all the glory when his superior teammate gets all the the trophies!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kind of agree with the comment on Chris James, not the strongest one in the field by far but can't comment on his attitude as I don't know him personally and never seen him interviewed! Still think Andy Neate pips him though!

Does Chris James own the team ???

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
He does and from the way he brags you would think he owned the Ferrari F1 team!
Put it this way, at the last race at Rockingham, he drove around without his lights on in thundery wet conditions. When he was black flagged, he stormed over to the officials to try and stamp his authority, only to be laughed away. Little man syndrome springs to mind....

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Kind of agree with the comment on Chris James, not the strongest one in the field by far but can't comment on his attitude as I don't know him personally and never seen him interviewed! Still think Andy Neate pips him though!

Does Chris James own the team ???
Andy Neate was joint 15th not bad for an up and coming driver, if he was the worst driver surely he would have come last?

Last year he was 18th Overall so a 3 place improvement well done Andy !

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Sorry but he isn't a up and coming driver.
He's raced in lesser championships for some time, had a full season with WSR BMW in a championship winning car, a full season with a Arena Focus and yet still can't break the top 10. Hes had his chance and i'm afraid should move on, even if its down to a satelite factory MG team.
Someone like Newsham, Turkington or O'Neill should be in that seat.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Sorry but he isn't a up and coming driver.
He's raced in lesser championships for some time, had a full season with WSR BMW in a championship winning car, a full season with a Arena Focus and yet still can't break the top 10. Hes had his chance and i'm afraid should move on, even if its down to a satelite factory MG team.
Someone like Newsham, Turkington or O'Neill should be in that seat.
Fair comment but would they be prepared to pay the dosh? Neate has stumped up a great deal of money to get into that car, if he chooses to drive and learn i'm not going to put up an argument. He should start to get some results next year though!
I don't know if Neate's car has been developed at the same pace as Plato's car either, he could be a month behind in development for all i know. He has had a full year at it but he doesn't have the experience of Plato really but then i guess no one except Neal does......

·
Registered
14,111 Posts
Andy Neate was joint 15th not bad for an up and coming driver, if he was the worst driver surely he would have come last?

Last year he was 18th Overall so a 3 place improvement well done Andy !
Stop talking narrow minded **** ffs.

He was in one of only 4 manufactuere cars. The other three manufacturer car drivers finished 1, 2, and 3. His highest finish was 6th. He showed no improvement during the season, and I've seen him driving dangerously multiple times.

The guy is 38, obviously has money and has bought himself a drive so he can play at race driver. Quite frankly he should sponser some young talented kid to take his seat and retire.

If MG want to challenge for the Manufacturers title next year (Something I feel they have a real shot at winning) they need to can this turd and get someone who can match Plato.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

He was in one of only 4 manufactuere cars. The other three manufacturer car drivers finished 1, 2, and 3. His highest finish was 6th. He showed no improvement during the season, and I've seen him driving dangerously multiple times.

The guy is 38, obviously has money and has bought himself a drive so he can play at race driver. Quite frankly he should sponser some young talented kid to take his seat and retire.

If MG want to challenge for the Manufacturers title next year (Something I feel they have a real shot at winning) they need to can this turd and get someone who can match Plato.
If MG want to challenge for the title firstly the car needs more development work! If Plato had not had the breakdowns he had this year he may have won, which begs the question at what stage of developement is Neate's car? Is it as well developed as Plato's car? Does it have the same upgrades?
Yes it is a manufacture backed car, that does not mean they have unlimited funds. Honda have a big budget, and pay two drivers. MG obviously didn't want to or couldn't do that.
Who else can compete with Plato really? Neal, Collard, Shedden and Jackson? They were all tied into contracts and i think the only one who can compete equally with Plato is Neal. Can you imagine those two in the same team? Very interesting that would be.
Sure there are other drivers but Dave Newsham is is a brilliant car now, the Vectra is a great race car, it's fully developed and how long has Newsham had to get the car to suit him?
Andrew Jordan? No Chance! Watch him when he does get into a new team, if he ever does!
Frank Wrathall? He needs at least another year to learn his craft!
How many times do you see individual people giving money (not companies or businesses sponsoring) to youngsters to compete in a race car? these days at this level? I don't know i'm asking, does it happen?
I don't think Neate is a good driver, i just think we don't know all of the facts but as he is paying and someone else is taking the cash it's a fair deal.

·
Registered
319 Posts

So if you had the money would sponsor rather drive yourself? Cos I would do the same as Neate if I could! Yes he is not a great drive but not the worst on the grid and remember he would of finished second to Plato at Croft had it not been for Neal's PITT on him. Hopefully with a better developed car both of the MG drivers can do better! Plato is the master at getting the best out of the car, so if they can make it better to handle and control then we'll be better place to judge on how good/bad Neate really is!

·
Registered
319 Posts
If MG want to challenge for the title firstly the car needs more development work! If Plato had not had the breakdowns he had this year he may have won, which begs the question at what stage of developement is Neate's car? Is it as well developed as Plato's car? Does it have the same upgrades?
Yes it is a manufacture backed car, that does not mean they have unlimited funds. Honda have a big budget, and pay two drivers. MG obviously didn't want to or couldn't do that.
Who else can compete with Plato really? Neal, Collard, Shedden and Jackson? They were all tied into contracts and i think the only one who can compete equally with Plato is Neal. Can you imagine those two in the same team? Very interesting that would be.
Sure there are other drivers but Dave Newsham is is a brilliant car now, the Vectra is a great race car, it's fully developed and how long has Newsham had to get the car to suit him?
Andrew Jordan? No Chance! Watch him when he does get into a new team, if he ever does!
Frank Wrathall? He needs at least another year to learn his craft!
How many times do you see individual people giving money (not companies or businesses sponsoring) to youngsters to compete in a race car? these days at this level? I don't know i'm asking, does it happen?
I don't thimk Neate is a good driver, i just think we don't know all of the facts but as he is paying and someone else is taking the cash it's a fair deal.
Hopefully with 2 brand new developed cars the guys will be able to take the fight to the 4 works Hondas! (Pirtek is more or less a works team) Also lets hope TOCA gets the control parts to a more reliable standard for next year

·
Registered
3,132 Posts

Only as narrow minded as this and the other threads that have just been aimed at having a dig at Andy Neate at every opportunity !

Give the guy a break, it is always easy to make comments from your arm chair.

I have been disappointed by the results but don't think he is the worst driver I have ever seen

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I don't think people have anything against Neate as a person, its just frustrating to see the second MG so far behind and not able to compete for the big titles. Honda won everything this season, yet with a big name in the other MG, it would have been the other way around.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I don't think people have anything against Neate as a person, its just frustrating to see the second MG so far behind and not able to compete for the big titles. Honda won everything this season, yet with a big name in the other MG, it would have been the other way around.
We are frustrated but think how frustrated Andy Neate has been.

Lets hope next year he does better.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't have anything against any driver and if it's frustration you want try F1 maybe? I guess we could ask *any* ferrari fan over the last 3 decades or so, their second driver is usually pretty average.
I have to agree that if the second MG was reliable and as sorted as JP's then the title could have gone to MG!
Good point about the four works Honda's Dave!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I was under the impression that MG were running a one and a bit car team with Neate being a development driver who did testing in races!

Considering this was their first season and the car was near enough finished on the grid during the first race they have done very well. Also if only one car was going to do anything why stifle the confidence of a young driver in the second car?

As for the answer to this thread - give me a BTCC drive and there would be no doubt as to the worst BTCC driver ever.

Should we also have a tread for the best driver - I would vote for Andy Rouse.

As for next year - isn't Michael Schumacher looking for a drive?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts