MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago I finally decided enough was enough spending £350 - £400 in fuel a month in my ZS 180 I thought I would make a change and get a Rover 216 coupe (tomcat) in pearlescent amaranth. Which should be good for 39mpg combined better than the 26 - 27 mpg Ive been getting.

The ZS will be truly missed it had 110% mint body work and sports cat wit powerflow back box. It was 110% reliable never missed a beat and also ran 16 seconds down Santa Pod and Ive never drag raced before. So the basic 1.6 Tomcat has a lot to live up to but considering Ive always wanted one that shouldn't be an issue.

So the project is to keep the Tomcat as standard clean looking as possible but at the same time improve engine efficiency & performance. But also to reduce weight without it being noticed to be improve performance. If I could get the 0 - 60 to under 9 seconds and achieve 40mpg combined in a car that looks standard and very clean then its a success. So onwards to the start of this project.

Here is the ZS 180

Here is the Tomcat when i picked it up:

As you can see the paint work isn't great has a lot of fade in it.

Took the spoiler off the boot lid to put some elbow grease in and look at the result:

After a good clean and plenty of wax she looks gleaming would never know she is 18 years old just look at it.

So onto the engine next off with the ancient dizzy cap to see what kind of condition its in.

Im sure there is some connections in there somewhere??

A bit of cocacola treatment brings the connections up in a nice gold shine. God knows what cocacola does to your insides.
The same treatment to the rota arm.

A quick check of the fuel filter which seems like new.

Run out of time for today but the car has had the engine stripped and work done the fluids look super clean almost like its just drove out the factory so it should be a good engine. Its also had a new gear box from a 1.4 which is super smooth to change. Probably change/clean up the rest of the electrical system tomorrow so will post more then.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So its been a busy few weeks at work leaving me with not much time to work on the Tomcat. However I have managed a few things firstly some weight reduction, spare wheel and some of the boot lining removed as well as the sound proofing on the bonnet removed. Totaling almost 20kg.

Then found a misfire on cylinder 2 so treated her to some new HT leads, a bottle of Redex and good blast down the motorway.

This seems to have cleared the misfire completely starts a lot better and no more juddering when I come off the accelerator.

Gave her another bath and just look at how good she looks 18 years old and still looking this nice :

Going to swap out the head unit and clean up the interior over the next few days.

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
looking good then,

I can recomend a usb/aux connectivity on the radio/hifi unit as for CD it jumps real bad, even with a 3 second filter on the media flow.....

*not really heard a Tomcat with its sound deading out, how noisy is it??

NB also I guess a can of mouse then, may be a good answer to solving a flat tyre lol...

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, have the can of mouse ready in the boot

Still haven't had much time lately but none the less managed to change the head unit - which I will be doing again ... as the one i put in is absolute s*** lol. I brought it as i wanted one that was fitting with the cars interior as the one it came with was some half working chavy head unit.

Here is the old chavy head unit :

And here is the new one :

Looks much better i think for now at least.

Next on to spark plugs

Got me some nice brand new Denso racing irridiums

The worrying this is the state of the others and also the fact that there not all the same.

Next Ive got me a new ash tray as one of the previous owners of this car used the ashtray heavily

... So where I'm at. Car has really clean oil, really clean coolant, new spark plugs, new leads, cleaned up dizzy cap and rota arm, new head unit, new ashtray. Its got 20kgs of weight removed..

You can definitely feel the difference more pull, smoother acceleration.

Next I have an exhaust manifold heat shield to be fitted, and a new sports down pipe to be fitted, & will be looking for more places to save weight - possibly rear windscreen wiper, sun visors, lighter air filter etc.

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
erm yes an interesting mix of plugs lol....

NB still it will be all the better for a plug change....

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So back to the car after christmas...

Going to get some haters for this but put a cheap cone filter on for the time being till I get something a bit better. Also got a exhaust manifold heat shield, which looks great.

Next Ive got myself a new clutch and fitted it.

So the Amaranth coupe is getting ever closer to where i want it.
The real news is came across a red T16 NASP coupe the other day. Hadn't been on the road for 2 years and looked in a real sorry state. I managed to snap her up for £150, without actually having a good look at it first.

So here she is when i picked her up

And after a real good clean.

So her story is 2 owners but both from the same family - it hasn't been on the road for 2 years but does have FSH and only 89k miles. The engine is in great nick and runs lovely however the same cant be said for the body work there are spots of rust on the arches and a crack in the front bumper.

Oh and also the previous owners unfinished body filler.

Now I want this car to last a long time so any rust has to go.

So with the arch sanded back to bare metal where there was rust, and also the inside done too.

Treated with rust treatment and then first coat of anti-rust primer.

That's where I am for now...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
So the idea was to get rid of the ZS to save money . . . . . . and you now have a collection of coupes :)

Amaranth is a great colour (the red one's scrubbed up well too!).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Watch the tin worm on the rear arches. Spreads very rapidly to the inner arch, which is structural and can quickly leave you needing lots of welding.

Would also get the spats off and check the sills. The car's are of an age where rust on outer sills may well be progressing to the inner sill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts