MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please can anyone help I can't get into bonnet. The cable has snapped and the battery is flat. Is there a simple way. Thank you Poppy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
  • Please can anyone help I can't get into bonnet. The cable has snapped and the battery is flat. Is there a simple way. Thank you Poppy.

·
Registered
mg_tf
35 Posts
Is the cable definitely snapped? I couldn't get in to mine but after a good dose of penetrating/lubricating fluid under the bonnet, it finally worked and I could pop the bonnet

·
Registered
mg_tf
35 Posts
Is it definitely snapped? I thought mine was but after giving the front where the lock is under the bonnet and good dose of penetrating/lubricating fluid it finally worked and could pop the bonnet

·
Registered
234 Posts
Erm, this is the front of my TF and Fs are similar. I don't think you'll be able to get at the screws just above the MG badge but if you can wrangle the others you might be able to free up enough room to get your hand in there and pop it somehow.
I haven't tried this myself but I think I'd be starting underneath the front like this. Once you've opened it up I think (off the top of my head) the cable runs in a sheath down one side of the engine bay but I'd need to check.
I expect others on the forum will pile in with better info but I hope this gives you confidence to 'wade in' and get started. I find it helps to see it in bits before swinging spanners around...
Loadsa luck :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Btw in case your're not sure where it is, the latch is situated at that little black rectangle just centre-rightish along the top of the rad on my pic.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,488 Posts
The trouble is, those who know how to open the bonnet with a broken release cable usually wouldn't say on an open forum, and asked whoever it was to PM them, but no one so far here seems to know a foolproof method! If it isn't just a stretched cable or similar (where you might be able to pull on the inner wire of the release cable from the boot, with pliers) or poor lubrication, then the only clue I heard about a method that works seemed to involve a long (15'') screwdriver, trying to deflect the catch from below. Possibly with someone pressing down on the bonnet at the catch point to release pressure on the catch. Trouble is, I know there is a sort of oblong steel security box below the bonnet release receptacle (at least, on my 04 TF) so it isn't obvious how having a long screwdriver will allow access to the bonnet release catch itself. It comes in from the left of the bonnet release hole (if you're standing in front of the bonnet looking in) so that would be where to look, but like I say, not sure how to get past the security box.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,488 Posts
PS: It should be possible to charge up the battery from the boot (via a trickle charger - do not useanything like jump leads or boost battery which might melt a cable), just to get you going. Any circuit that uses 12V and is accessible should also be able to take charge to the battery, if it is switched on. Earth is accessible easily via any exposed metalwork of course. It would be better to try and backfeed (and charge) the battery from a point which can ordinarily handle a few amps.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
684 Posts
Nocturneblue's has essentially described how to do the procedure and the issue being the security plate that you have to bend a tab on first before you can see the latch and the catch you have to move with the long screwdriver. If your car has A/C its going to be even more difficult to do because of the A/C's condenser in front of the radiator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts