MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just bought a MG TF 1.8 2006. It's second hand and only has 51,000 miles on it, one previous owner who pottered around in it.
I have been driving a Lexus for the last 5 years, so it's all new to me, and I've never owned petrol before.
I accelerated to 70 mph but it was pushing 3000 revs, to get to 80 it was doing 3,400 revs. Now in my Lexus (deisl) over 3000 revs was not a good idea, but the feeds on here seem to say its quite OK to drive at those revs and it won't do any damage to the engine. Is this the case?
If it is, how far can I drive at that level. I'm hoping after a few drives up the A38, 40 miles each way to work will actually blow it through and settle it down. I don't think it's ever been driven on the dual carriageway for a long time...

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I potter around in mine- a 2002 version of your one, vvc. I then once a quarter, drive it to Southampton and back which is about 240 miles return and mostly motorway. I’ve slid got an RRS and a Merc cabriolet- all 3 very different cars and like you in your Lexus, a different experience. No reason not to have fun and yes, the k series will rev at 3500 all day long. Just make sure it’s serviced and keep an eye on water temp- should be just under half way and oil temp which again will be over half way. Neither gauge is a miracle of science but the temp one is the one to watch. I’ve had mine 4 1/2 years and it had 49k on it - now it’s got 70k. They just need maintenance. If it’s not had then it should have the cambelt and water pump replaced at your mileage.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,842 Posts
Providing the oil is up to temperature you can happily rev the engine up to the red line, any higher and limiter will kick in to protect the engine.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,488 Posts
Peak torque occurs at different RPM in diesel and petrol engines. They are geared differently accordingly. The average diesel likes pootling along with lots of torques available at 1800-2000rpm-ish, the average petrol at 2800-3000 rpm-ish. I had the same readjustment to do but in the opposite way, when I bought my first diesel. Initially I was driving it along and attempting to keep the revs around 2800-3000 rpm most of the time, like my previous petrol cars, which of course was just way too high!

·
Registered
classic_mg
16 Posts
Try pushing it up until the limiter cuts in - about 7000 RPM.

Its good for it - it's called an Italian Tune-up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts