MG-Rover.org Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
36,410 Posts
Yeah 1955diesel did pass away back in 2011. He was on here every day, back when it was still a popular forum

interloper would be 87 now. But maybe he simply sold his 75 and moved on?
So sorry to hear that. We had some outstandingly knowledgeable and helpful members like interloper and 1955diesel. Remember perspective? He was only here for a few years and didn't post very much.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
So sorry to hear that. We had some outstandingly knowledgeable and helpful members like interloper and 1955diesel. Remember perspective? He was only here for a few years and didn't post very much.
Yes I do remember. Was a busy forum back then with members including Flyer and Jimbo. I do think Jimbo comes on here from time to time, but I guess Social media has taken over from forums these days

·
Registered
36,410 Posts

Yes I do remember. Was a busy forum back then with members including Flyer and Jimbo. I do think Jimbo comes on here from time to time, but I guess Social media has taken over from forums these days
I met flyer at Carl's wedding - if you think about the fuss flyer had, the best time to be here was before his time. I had no-one on my ignore list until about 2010, but now I have 30+ names on it. Things used to be so relaxed, friendly and fun.

·
Registered
619 Posts
when I do a search some of the threads might be a few years old, if I see usernames I’ve not seen for some time I take a look at their profile, a few might be still be loging on here but many haven’t logged on for years, I often wonder if the user has just moved on, maybe sold their MG/Rove car and has no need of this forum

or maybe (sadly) past away without us ever knowing this

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
6,960 Posts
It certainly seems very much quieter now. However I think many forums are going this way with groups being set up on FB. I use it a bit but don't really get on with the format.
It was November last year when I briefly popped back here.
I also remember 1955diesel but I think I was still a regular poster on here then. I can't remember when exactly my 25 went but it would have been 2011 I think and I would therefore not have been on as much.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I’m also on one of the MGF/TF Facebook pages, but frustratingly its hard to follow one topic easily, and if the topic was a few weeks back it could take some time to scroll down to find it, it sure is quieter now than two or three years back, in those days, if you started a thread in the morning, by the afternoon it would be at the bottom of the first page if not the second page and by the evening it was for sure in the second or third page, now a thread started on Monday might still be on the first page by Thursday if not Friday

·
Registered
1 Posts
My family worked at the plant... Graham Benson was there for a short time, John Spud Boyd moved with the plant to Solihull but was a machine setter at the Cardiff plant, Ann Benson worked on the line, Charles Benson also worked there as did my Grandfather Charlie Benson (I'm led to believe he was the convener there for a time). His wife, my grandmother Nancy Benson worked in the Parts Department.

·
Registered
cityrover
1 Posts
Just found this thread as i was trying to find out some information about my Nan. What a great read!
I knew the factory was in Tremorfa but didn't know it was where Tesco is now. One of my youngest memories is asking my Nan where she was going? and she would reply "i'm going over the Rover" of course i had no idea what she was talking about back then. It's crazy how reading a thread about a car can bring back great memories of my Nan who is sadly passed. Thank yo people :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a query about the Rover plant that used to be round my way. I've realised that there's very little info out there about the Rover factory in Cardiff (other than that there's a road named after it - Rover Way - you'd be hard pressed to know that it ever existed). So, does anyone have any info - AFAIK it made gearboxes, and closed mid 80's, but that's about as much as I can dig out.

Can anyone help - I'm just intrigued really......

Oh, and can you guess what's on the site now - a Tesco's and executive housing......

Alastair
I have posted this earlier but not sure is the forum thread for this would have been picked up
Hi all a little bit of information about this for you my mother (worked there 1966-1983) who is still living and is at this moment talking to me as I am writing. The factory was actually built on Cardiff Airport ( not to be confused with Cardiff International airport in Rhoose ) Where St Albans Club is it was actually the living quarters for the servicemen during the war. What is now known as Tremofa Park was all part of the airport as well.
The factory production was back axles and gearboxes. Around the 80’s it went to gearboxes only. There was a spare department also. It closed after 1983 as my brother was an apprentice and served his time and was still working there at after the time my mother finished on voluntary redundancy in 83.
my personal experience of the factory was they had a canteen where on a Thursday night there was a disco for all staff kids we could take in one friend in with us, it then was open for special membership if you had one of these only you could enter.
It is right that there is a housing estate built on it and Tesco.

·
Registered
36,410 Posts
Good old interloper! His last post ten years ago now.
I still thought the same thing on looking at this thread which has bounced back now at least three times...

41 - 53 of 53 Posts