41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
MG Rover sonic blue as made in lesonal waterbase

02 460.6 23 476.9 86 547.7 41 896.3 193M 1011.4
02 is clear binder, 23 is black,86 is a burgundy, 41 is blue, 193M is metallic

pearlescent tinters end in P,

laugh as much as you like... you show me the pearlescent content?

I can show you in many more types of paint,but the result will be the same :)

The formula is one litre and weights rise in grams per addition,you do the maths for % of each tint.

I must add (in case I upset someone) "Run of the mill" in the way I meant it,was just a standard metallic basecoat,not a slur on the colour :)

I'm off to Wales,catch me on the M4 later ;)

It seems I do know more than a brochure after all ... seems MGR might have told porkies ...and MGR or Rover as they were known when I did my apprenticeship at a main dealer did kind of employ me :) long ago

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
sonic was a normal production colour so had skimped project drive paint finish with celestial you had to pay through the nose as it was painted off main production as a special order and they put lacquer everywhere that they really should have done on all TFs but didn't it's what MGR called a 'supertallic' so nothing fancy but it does have a certain something about it it really suits the TF and has the advantage of being in theory easy to match unlike the more fancy paints they did

celestial
http://color.dupontrefinish.info/scripts/colorweb.dll/stockcode?p=1&s=4&mfname=ROVER&mfcode=IAI&clname=MONOGRAM+CELESTIAL+BLUE+EFFECT&stcode=X0002
sonic

http://color.dupontrefinish.info/scripts/colorweb.dll/stockcode?p=0&s=4&mfname=ROVER&mfcode=JHG&clname=SONIC+(NEON)+BLUE+EFFECT&stcode=X1247

whatever that all means! maybe someone can enlighten me as to what the different formulas are all about?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
sonic was a normal production colour so had skimped prroject drive paint finish with celestial you had to pay through the nose as it was painted off main production as a special order and they put lacquer everywhere that they really should have done on all TFs but didn't it's what MGR called a 'supertallic' so nothing fancy but it does have a certain something about it it really suits the TF and has the advantge of being easy to match unlike the more fancy paints they did
By the way buddy saw your TF today when I was in grimsby with the F :)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Sonic blue is one of the best colours for an MG TF :)
Charcoal Grey is one of the best colours for an MGF :)
If I had to have a TF I would have it in either Sonic blue (maybe a similar shade) or Black
When it came to getting my F it had to be either Charcoal Grey or Tatiha Blue :)
But I chose Charcoal Grey, it appealed to me more :broon:
celestial is better than sonic! not that I'm selling it.... and I'm biased!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
you trust a sales brochure and yes i would stake my life on it,20 years painting and sikkens computer says i'm right :)
of course the brochures are right you'd ALWAYS trust a salesman wouldn't you....not
it's the art of justifying charging extra for something that costs next to nowt more to produce thereby making a nice little profitable add on pity that MGR weren't better at it they might not have gone bust

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
of course the brochures are right you'd ALWAYS trust a salesman wouldn't you....not
it's the art of justifying charging extra for something that costs next to nowt more to produce thereby making a nice little profitable add on pity that MGR weren't better at it they might not have gone bust
No, it was actually parked up on what I would assume, to be your drive :)
About a street down from the college?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Naah it has to be sonic! celestial is for girls :lol:
you drive around in a car that attracts hairy blokes I'll stick with one that attracts the women then!!!

actually in isolation I can barely tell the difference between them except one has a spark badge on the back and one doesn't

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I'll try to remember that if I'm in grimsby and see your TF with a women driving, to rapidly make a u-turn and speed off :rofl:
You would hear our F coming :)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
with your noisy exhaust she'll probablly think you're a chav approaching and attempt to cut you up even worse! just be warned she's Russian they have no road sense at all I've only just managed to tame her driving a bit.....

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
with your noisy exhaust she'll probablly think you're a chav approaching and attempt to cut you up even worse! just be warned she's Russian they have no road sense at all I've only just managed to tame her driving a bit.....
I'd be able to out run her, my F is a VVC after all :)
Its that or I avoid Grimsby like the plague :lol:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
:lol: look forward to it :)
You will have to come do one of the runs soon :)
will try can't decide whether to put the hardtop on the TF or not but if I might be going on a run better not as it's not the done thing amongst hardened MG-philes so I hear, if you are planning a meet in 5 years time I'll try to bring the Beta Volumex....really should get on with that much more fun than a TF....(I'd better take shelter now....)

·
Registered
101 Posts
you drive around in a car that attracts hairy blokes I'll stick with one that attracts the women then!!!

actually in isolation I can barely tell the difference between them except one has a spark badge on the back and one doesn't
I dont need my car to attract women ( and if i did i would be attracting the wrong kind ), It's all down to my natural charm :lol:

To be fair yes, they are very similar only sonic is a little darker.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
will try can't decide whether to put the hardtop on the TF or not but if I might be going on a run better not as it's not the done thing amongst hardened MG-philes so I hear, if you are planning a meet in 5 years time I'll try to bring the Beta Volumex....really should get on with that much more fun than a TF....(I'd better take shelter now....)
After my new bits are fitted, I may be putting my HT on because of the bad weather :)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
I dont need my car to attract women ( and if i did i would be attracting the wrong kind ), It's all down to my natural charm :lol:

actually I have to admit my wife is the best so I'm not bothered either although I did buy the TF partly to make her happy ...and then ended up stuck on this forum every day!

41 - 60 of 65 Posts