MG-Rover.org Forums banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's my understanding that Sonic Blue first became available in 2004 and only on the Spark. It then became an option on all models in 2005 (possibly late 2004). I'm also led to believe that the last one off the production line at Longbridge was Sonic Blue.

I've never (knowingly) seen Celestial Blue so can't comment on it but I do love Sonic Blue. It's quite an unusual colour and mine always attracts favourable comments at meets because of the colour. i would be quite interested to see a Sonic and a Celestial side by side though - just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
It's my understanding that Sonic Blue first became available in 2004 and only on the Spark. It then became an option on all models in 2005 (possibly late 2004). I'm also led to believe that the last one off the production line at Longbridge was Sonic Blue.

I've never (knowingly) seen Celestial Blue so can't comment on it but I do love Sonic Blue. It's quite an unusual colour and mine always attracts favourable comments at meets because of the colour. i would be quite interested to see a Sonic and a Celestial side by side though - just out of curiosity.
I've seena photo somewhere on the net but can't find it again would be interesting to get a line of all the blues together at a meeting

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
sonic was a normal production colour so had skimped project drive paint finish with celestial you had to pay through the nose as it was painted off main production as a special order and they put lacquer everywhere that they really should have done on all TFs but didn't it's what MGR called a 'supertallic' so nothing fancy but it does have a certain something about it it really suits the TF and has the advantage of being in theory easy to match unlike the more fancy paints they did

celestial
http://color.dupontrefinish.info/scripts/colorweb.dll/stockcode?p=1&s=4&mfname=ROVER&mfcode=IAI&clname=MONOGRAM+CELESTIAL+BLUE+EFFECT&stcode=X0002
sonic

http://color.dupontrefinish.info/scripts/colorweb.dll/stockcode?p=0&s=4&mfname=ROVER&mfcode=JHG&clname=SONIC+(NEON)+BLUE+EFFECT&stcode=X1247

whatever that all means! maybe someone can enlighten me as to what the different formulas are all about?
Finally somebody who knows what they are talking about :lol:
As for easier to match,it's only slightly easier than the flips because of the make up of the colour,many factors will affect how it looks,application,primer colour etc etc.They are about as special effect as you can go using basic metallics.

As for enlightenment,I would be delighted to help you ;) Its been a while since I used dupont.
The first link for celestial,first thing I would say is the naming is misleading,MONOGRAM CELESTIAL BLUE EFFECT probably MGR's doing,as we have already covered ;)
The 4 product codes are for the different systems dupont supply.
All show white pearl as a very small part of the colour,white pearl is just used to adjust the colour in this system,as I said before the colour in the main used trade systems needs none to obtain the same effect suggesting it isnt a vital component of the colour.(obviously the reason you posted it ;) )
The value shade is the colour used underneath to ensure a better chance of matching,as its a pretty see through colour,due to the "watered down" effect.
The vehicle signs on the right suggest to paint any part of the car would require the whole thing doing,this is a get out for them because as i said application etc will factor highly.I suppose if you want to be picky you could loosly term it as pearlescent (only just! using dupont) although it wont affect the colour in a big way (white pearl is more dirty white),it'd be interesting to know what paint rover used at the factory at the time.

Sonic however even in dupont can't claim to be a pearl and is less likely to match in any of their systems.

I have nothing more to say on the subject now! Paints my thing,I dont mind explaining/helping.

Monogram is to personalise your car really.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts