1,896 Posts
I'm ennoyed with that pop-up too! :angry:
Where is the tech team? :dunno:
Bump! :wavecry:
Thank you @Roverlike. :URGOD:

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Not had any issues (as yet) using Firefox ver 61.0.1 (64-bit)

Exactly the same as mine (but for Linux Ubuntu Canonical 1.0), nevertheless that doesn't do... :err:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Chrome is doing the same
However tappytalk is pop-up thingy free

So to not get the thing I have to view the site on a 5.5" screen not the massive desktop screen

Nice job whoever came up with it.
It's just going to alienate more members.

To whom it may concern.
The captain goes down with a sinking ship.

Sent from my Plus E using Tapatalk

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,491 Posts
Seems that cache clearing resolves this problem. I tried as owners admins suggested, and it works for me. Just logout and login again, and no more problem.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
The truth is effectively I had the problem only once this morning when connecting for the first time. Afterwards it worked fine. Let's see what will happen tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Seems that cache clearing resolves this problem. I tried as owners admins suggested, and it works for me. Just logout and login again, and no more problem.

worked on both chrome and firefox.

Qurious as to what caused it,
Most people use the "remember me"

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,491 Posts
worked on both chrome and firefox.

Qurious as to what caused it,
Most people use the "remember me"

Me too. Something must be changed as we could not see it all at same time ...

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,204 Posts
They are almost certainly the Canadian owners response to GDPR, but in common with an unacceptably high proportion of websites (particularly the various forms of social media), it is pretty clear that the IT departments of these organisations haven't read the GDPR and don't have a clue what it actually says and what is actually required.

They should start by getting hold of a copy of GDPR, read it and understand it before inflicting unnecessarily intrusive and clumsy scripts into their webpages in a forlorn attempt to circumvent the regulations - in the fullness of time they WILL find themselves with a big fine and possibly being denied any access to the EU area (and the UK. seeing as the UK Government has already made clear that GDPR will stay even with the UK no longer an EU member).

Unfortunately for us, the VerticalScope IT techies have already demonstrated their lack of IT skills to members of mg-rover.org more than once before...

·
Administrator
cityrover
1,060 Posts
They are almost certainly the Canadian owners response to GDPR, but in common with an unacceptably high proportion of websites (particularly the various forms of social media), it is pretty clear that the IT departments of these organisations haven't read the GDPR and don't have a clue what it actually says and what is actually required.

They should start by getting hold of a copy of GDPR, read it and understand it before inflicting unnecessarily intrusive and clumsy scripts into their webpages in a forlorn attempt to circumvent the regulations - in the fullness of time they WILL find themselves with a big fine and possibly being denied any access to the EU area (and the UK. seeing as the UK Government has already made clear that GDPR will stay even with the UK no longer an EU member).

Unfortunately for us, the VerticalScope IT techies have already demonstrated their lack of IT skills to members of mg-rover.org more than once before...
The consent wall was set and then corrected due to issues it was having with script blockers people use. Specifically that if you had said yes or no and had certain blockers on it would crash and lock the site. As such it was altered to not fire from an ad call and as such conflicted with browser caches from the old version hence why clearing cache or logging out and back in fix it. As to what it says and does, its functional needs and verbiage were not designed by the tech team, they were built by the techs following the instructions of our legal team in concert with a European lawfirm that we've been working with since the end of last year in preparation for GDPR's launch. It was that firm that told us what we needed to implement for compliance, what verbiage was appropriate and what changes we needed to make and made to our Privacy Policy.

Thanks

Kyle

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
The consent wall was set and then corrected due to issues it was having with script blockers people use. Specifically that if you had said yes or no and had certain blockers on it would crash and lock the site. As such it was altered to not fire from an ad call and as such conflicted with browser caches from the old version hence why clearing cache or logging out and back in fix it. As to what it says and does, its functional needs and verbiage were not designed by the tech team, they were built by the techs following the instructions of our legal team in concert with a European lawfirm that we've been working with since the end of last year in preparation for GDPR's launch. It was that firm that told us what we needed to implement for compliance, what verbiage was appropriate and what changes we needed to make and made to our Privacy Policy.

Thanks

Kyle

A bit of a warning would have saved members a lot of grief,thinking the problem was at their end.
I've messed about with settings in both chrome and firefox to try to sort it at my end :frown:

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
A sorry would have been nice too!

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Let's be honest : it's not the end of the world either...:wink:

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sincere thanks to Roverlike - I logged out, then in again and it has stopped the pop ups.

Many thanks matey!

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Gremlin's back today!

Nope!
On this very morning the boring pop-up is back once more!
I was true when I told you in a post above: 'Let's see what will happen tomorrow!'

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,204 Posts
they were built by the techs following the instructions of our legal team in concert with a European lawfirm that we've been working with since the end of last year in preparation for GDPR's launch. It was that firm that told us what we needed to implement for compliance....
The idea of GDPR is that data that is related to an individual is not harvested and/or stored or passed to third parties in the first place, not that people should have to give specific permission for their personal data to be abused in the way that it has been hitherto.

Compliance is acheived very simply and easily by NOT collecting any personal data or tracking users beyond that which is necessary for the functionality and provision of the service being (and no special permission is required for collecting information for that purpose).

Such pop-up boxes asking for permission for personal data to be harvested for passing to third parties, or for targetted advertising purposes should not be necessary. You should grasp the feelings of internet users towards targetted/personalised intrusive advertising from the number of people who routinely use ad blockers and script blockers, and the number who have many of the common advertising urls permanently blocked ;)

Whilst we all appreciate the need for web forum owners to generate sufficient money to make the sites they run viable, and advertising is an effective wy of doing so, there are ways of doing this without disrupting the usage of the site to the extent of driving users away, and none of it requires that users personal data and web tracks be collected and effectively sold on to third parties.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Still not had any issues with the site, not cleared cashe not logged out and back in, not actually done anything for months apart from update firefox

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
If this isn't sorted out quickly, I wont bother using this site anymore.

It just isn't worth the aggro for something that seems like it should be so easy to turn off.

Sad, but I cant be bothered to keep turning these messages off on literally every page of the forum I visit.

SORT IT OUT!!!!!!!
Same here. It's incredibly irritating and will nothing to preserve the footfall on the forum which is reducing anyway.

Edit: Having seen subsequent I have cleared my cache and loggedout/in and it's sorted the issue. About time!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts