MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there got one. I've been looking at one as an add on to my std HD TV. I have a Sony Blu-ray that gives me smart functions but is the Chromecast better than that.
Will the Chromecast access the net like a browser or does it just use apps to access sites. I use Daily Motion quite a bit but the Sony can't see that any more any other suggestions?

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I believe that the Chromecast is used purely to stream from a chromecast enabled device such as an Android Smartphone, but dont quote me on that.

At this point it might be cheaper to get an old Xbox 360 purely for the entertainment apps? (4OD/BBC iPlayer/Channel 5:OD, Youtube & Dailymotion)

·
Registered
349 Posts
chromecast cost £30 rrp (£20 of ebay), must be a pretty cheap (ie broke) 360 to beat that.

Install the google cast extension in google chrome and you can send anything that plays in the browser (Which is pretty much everything with the right extensions added) to your TV

It's limited to 720p, but should be golden for your dailymotion vids etc.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
chromecast cost £30 rrp (£20 of ebay), must be a pretty cheap (ie broke) 360 to beat that.

Install the google cast extension in google chrome and you can send anything that plays in the browser (Which is pretty much everything with the right extensions added) to your TV

It's limited to 720p, but should be golden for your dailymotion vids etc.
Ah my bad. I was factoring in the cost of an Android device cable of Casting. :lol:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Got one myself. I love it.

Worth getting if you can't access things like Netflix and iPlayer on your TV. More and more apps are supporting it, so I'd say it's a worthy investment for £30.

iOS and Android devices support is as well as the Chrome browser on any PC with the Chromecast extension.

There's an app available on Android that lets you stream anything as well, so if you have any movie files on your device, they can be streamed over, too.

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at Amazon they offer an Android TV box too which works like a tablet running Android 4.2 but best I can tell it's not an authorised box and is very tricky to get to work.

For £30 I can't see how you go wrong with a Chromecast so I've ordered mine and will give it a go. I notice there's no instructions as such is there anywhere I can buy it download these if anyone's got one

Thanks muchly

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Are you wanting to steam from the internet? or do you have aload of files on a USB drive/NAS?

If its the latter I would recommend a RaspberryPi with RaspBMC, bit more than £30 but it is the most competent media player I have owned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts