MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening,

Just noted a bit of fluid on drive after a run out,looks to be clutch fluid,this is backed up by the level being down in the reservoir.

Had a look and slave feed pipe (I think) where it turns vertical after running to back of car had a lot of fluid on union which I cleaned up and seems dry at minute.

I will take a look either one evening or at weekend,will have to get engine cover off,any ideas of the likely culprit in this area,slave cylinder seal?Thinking it's running down onto the union from somewhere higher up.

Thanks

·
Registered
mg_tf
25 Posts
Only things you have is the flexible pipe connecting to a solid pipe which then connects to the slave cylinder. It's possible I suppose that the flexible could be failing but I think you are right, slave cylinder seals. Easiest way is to buy a new slave cylinder assembly. Mine was a bit of a pain when it came to bleeding the air out but got there eventually.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Last weekend I bled my clutch after 22 years of non-bleeding! I used a kit called Gunsons eezibleed. 10 minutes to bleed but 1 hr to take the engine hatch off and put back on...............

As you will be replacing the slave, the bleed may take a bit longer than it took me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Evening all ,just thought I,d update,thanks for the replies,the slave cylinder is confirmed as the culprit,new seal kit on order.

Not too bad to get to,will update how replacement goes.

·
Registered
mg_tf
135 Posts
A good modification is to replace the complete hydraulic line from the clutch master cylinder to the slave with a braided stainless line. Gets rid of the joint that sits under the vehicle that inevitably corrodes.

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
My slave seal failed a few years back, replaced the seals. This year it gave up again so a new slave cylinder was fitted. Guess I should have done that before. It's a bit of a faff getting to it . I used a vacuum pump to bleed the system and it worked very well.

·
Registered
mg_tf
312 Posts
I too would be tempted to steer clear of just replacing the seals, and replacing the complete cylinder. Zero guarantee with just replacing the seals, so short term economy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts