MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the engine management light come on code reader states P0170 going to make a smoke tester to check for any leaks tried looking with soapy water with no luck so I am left thinking pre cat sensor maybe the culprit does anyone have any advice,comments.

·
In the Garage
mg_tf
32,805 Posts
P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1), I would reset the code and see if it comes back, it maybe one of those that just goes away. If it does comes back I would try a throttle body reset (I can't remember the procedure of the top of my head)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
There used to be a number of postings some years ago entitled 'How to reset the stepper motor' or some such.
I have done a quick search and cannot find it. Perhaps someone will have better luck than I.
It goes something like this - Switch on ignition, depress accelerator 5 times within 'x' seconds and switch off ignition. Start engine and Bob's your uncle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi All
Don't all jump on me in one go my engine management light came on showing P0170 so today I've carried out a smoke test as shown on some YouTube.
No smoke found unfortunately so now I am stuck I am no expert willing to try though so next ..wait for it where is either the map,mass,mag ? Sensor as I am told it may need cleaning I've no idea like I said no expert pictures would be great help.
If its not this looks like a trip to the garage and an unwanted bill.

Cheers In Advance

·
Registered
558 Posts
Try the simple stuff first, replace the spark plugs and see if that helps :)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I did forget I had posted last week and yes slight amount of coolant loss with the dreaded residue on the expansion cap with a strong smell of petrol when running which if I've read the info back on the OB2 reader running lean

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Happens more than I want to admit. Usually when I over rev the engine to reverse it up the steep drive.
It can go out all on its own. Or reset it.
All our mgf tf's have only one bank. It would be fun if we had two.

The pic shows 2 banks of 3 cylinders. Our mg's have one bank of four cylinders.
Codes
p0170 generic
p0171 lean
p0172 rich

Use your obd2 scan tool to reset the MIL. If it comes on again then look at how you are driving when you set off. If it comes on at other times then investigate. Let your car warm up. Don't go over 3k rpm until water and oil are at temp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts