MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! Something horrible happened to the car the other day. On pressing the clutch pedal, it suddenly fell to the floor and I basically lost all gear change. Rest of it is you know, car had to be towed, etc. First thought was one of the cylinders had packed in. Upon inspection I noticed the rod that pushes the clutch arm was lost. Only the end bit that attaches to the arm itself was left, so apparently it had broken. Assuming this was the reason for the miserable failure I put a different cylinder only to find out that the rod cannot be attached to the arm as there was a serious misalignment. Then I was in shock to find out that the arm had actually cracked and significantly bent out of place, thus breaking the rod on the slave cylinder. I tried moving the arm with a pry bar with no luck and thought there was probably something broken inside that had jammed, leading to arm being cracked and bent in the end. Today, the garage that are doing the job said the bearing, pressure plate and clutch are absolutely fine, so why couldn't I move the arm I do not know. It definitely wasn't seized inside the box as there was some free movement until it hit something. Now I am puzzled, what is the reason for this cracking and bending? Is it just metal fatigue or is it something else? I simply couldn't bear the thought of this ever happening again to the new second hand clutch arm. Any thoughts, please?

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
It is a reasonably common problem. I'll bet your 600 doesn't have its undertray on does it?
The arm seizes in the box through lack of lubricant and water ingress and then the clutch slave either packs up or as the 600 slave is stronger than the 400 one, the arm can bend or break. They usually go at the weld in the middle but you can bend the arm in some cases. You can usually just re-bend and re-weld the arm to repair it. The problem is that to remove the arm the gearbox has to come off which isnt a small job.
ALWAYS when the clutch is changed remove the arm and lube it thoroughly with anti-seize grease (copper grease) or similar to prevent it happening. It more commonly happens on the 200/25/400/45 but the 600 isn't immune particularly if the undertray is missing or indeed not there from day (petrol turbos).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers! Well, the thing is the arm wasn't seized and never has, so it was really, really strange this happening. About 6 months ago I put a different gearbox from a 200 (since then enjoying a great fifth gear) and paid special attention to that arm, knowing this is a weak spot on most Rovers. Cleaned it thoroughly and lubed it with copper grease, hoping to last for some time. Six months on and it breaks. How sad!

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
I assume you swapped your existing arm onto the 200 box (as they are different - I also have a 200 box in mine).
Perhaps the arm was already cracked? I've got one in the garage somewhere in a similar state (not from my car).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts