MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SNIP:

I will be using the Anti Perf warranty as my car has rust in multiple places and is only 7.5 months old :frown:
A bit shocking to hear that a brand new car is showing signs of rust already.

It might be good to have a post which collates information about what colour the car is, how old it is, if any rust was found and if so, where?

I'll start the ball rolling:

Dynamic red
18 plate registered in May 2018
No rust found even where the paint has chipped off on some of the exposed panels.

I have Dinitrol (similar to Waxoyl) on the bottom of the car plus they also injected some anti-rust stuff within the doors so I am hoping that this will help protect the underside.

Apple MG performed the anti-perforation check on the 1st annual service and found nothing of concern.

Cheers..

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
My 3 has hundreds of chips on the bonnet from stones. And no signs of rust anywhere on the bonnet at all.

It seems a bit strange given they are both made from the same metal and likely have the same paint process as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
October 2018 White Zs

All 4 jacking areas have rust. Both Diagonal black braces going between the wing and the slam panel and where you have 2 pieces of metal together around the bonnet catch area.

To be honest I only noticed a jacking point in an empty Sainsburys carpark whilst walking from a distance to the car. Being white it gives it away quite a bit. I then checked it over. It's going in tomorrow for a report to be done and use my photos.

Now I can understand may be a little rust somewhere possibly but this suggests to me that may be some anti rust process has been missed at the factory? If this is the case it's never going to be a good car!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
October 2018 White Zs

All 4 jacking areas have rust. Both Diagonal black braces going between the wing and the slam panel and where you have 2 pieces of metal together around the bonnet catch area.

To be honest I only noticed a jacking point in an empty Sainsburys carpark whilst walking from a distance to the car. Being white it gives it away quite a bit. I then checked it over. It's going in tomorrow for a report to be done and use my photos.

Now I can understand may be a little rust somewhere possibly but this suggests to me that may be some anti rust process has been missed at the factory? If this is the case it's never going to be a good car!!
Thanks for the reply, I have heard of GS owners having problems with rust on the strengthening beam behind the front grille so it is not unheard of.

There was even an owner of an MG3 with the Sebring stripe where there was rust showing where the fitter putting the Sebring stripe on the roof above the windscreen had used a Stanley type knife to trim the excess vinyl and also had ended up cutting in to the paintwork.

I think that the paint on the car is very thin in the areas where they haven't put a top coat on, e.g. in the wheel arches hence why I went through the added expense of adding the extra protection on (if it is good enough for Land Rover owners, then it's good enough for me).

A quick check of the areas that you've mentioned seem to be okay for me though the jacking points no longer have full coverage of the Dinitol as by having the car serviced, some of the stuff has worn away from the jacking points.

Hopefully this isn't going to end up in the same situation as the Dacia Dusters which where found to have insufficient thickness of paint/rustproofing if your vehicle was being made in India rather than Romania.

Cheers..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I have heard of GS owners having problems with rust on the strengthening beam behind the front grille so it is not unheard of.

There was even an owner of an MG3 with the Sebring stripe where there was rust showing where the fitter putting the Sebring stripe on the roof above the windscreen had used a Stanley type knife to trim the excess vinyl and also had ended up cutting in to the paintwork.

I think that the paint on the car is very thin in the areas where they haven't put a top coat on, e.g. in the wheel arches hence why I went through the added expense of adding the extra protection on (if it is good enough for Land Rover owners, then it's good enough for me).

A quick check of the areas that you've mentioned seem to be okay for me though the jacking points no longer have full coverage of the Dinitol as by having the car serviced, some of the stuff has worn away from the jacking points.

Hopefully this isn't going to end up in the same situation as the Dacia Dusters which where found to have insufficient thickness of paint/rustproofing if your vehicle was being made in India rather than Romania.

Cheers..
The bars over the headlamp are not behind they are the black bars that go diagonal from the wing to the slam panel above the headlamp, so fully visible with the bonnet open. Must admit the metal is very thin there.

What worries me here is that asking in various places no one else seems to have this issue which is why I am thinking something has not been done possibly at the factory so coating or something.

It goes in tomorrow for the report so once I have some info I will update here so others know what to expect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I now won't be going tomorrow as apparently there links to MG is broken and the car needs to be plugged in for a warranty claim to be submitted.

Not the best start to a warranty process.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
So I now won't be going tomorrow as apparently there links to MG is broken and the car needs to be plugged in for a warranty claim to be submitted.

Not the best start to a warranty process.
Very odd other than I assume they are using a video conference unit or video link of some description to talk to and show their China colleagues the evidence on the car. I don't believe they need to stick the diagnostics on the car though as its a warranty claim against the anti perforation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well it’s been in to the dealer this morning. They took it quite seriously, took all the photos and submitted the claim. To submit a claim they need to have the computer attached to the ecu. Hopefully hear early next week.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So update too the issue

Dealer called to say MG won't do anything as not perforation. What ever way you want to look at it, 7 month old car with rust issues. Was given a number for MG customer relations who quite frankly told me the dealer should be looking at it and blamed seem bleed. Any muppet can see it's rust and it's in loads of places ( could possibly go with seem bleed on the sills but needs to take a closer look).

So the fight starts. I have reported to Vauxhall Finance as clearly they own the vehicle currently and are assigning me a complaints advisor.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So update too the issue

Dealer called to say MG won't do anything as not perforation. What ever way you want to look at it, 7 month old car with rust issues. Was given a number for MG customer relations who quite frankly told me the dealer should be looking at it and blamed seem bleed. Any muppet can see it's rust and it's in loads of places ( could possibly go with seem bleed on the sills but needs to take a closer look).

So the fight starts. I have reported to Vauxhall Finance as clearly they own the vehicle currently and are assigning me a complaints advisor.
Oh dear, do you have any pictures of the rusty areas?

Cheers..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sure have.

Here are some quick photo's and you may need to zoom in as some may have multiple locations of runs in the same photo etc.

Hopefully this works ok as not done photo's on here before

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Glenn, the rust in the pictures look pretty shocking, it is almost as it they forgot to zinc plate the chassis in the factory.

It seems that the outer edge wasn't worked on properly which is why rust is prevalent on the edges.

As a comparison, here are pictures from my car's engine bay.

The paint on the crash beam is a funny colour but it looks relatively thick.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's the Dacia Duster rust problem all over again

Looking at the pictures posted by Glenn, I am reminded of the Dacia Duster rust problem that affected right hand drive vehicles made in Chennai, India.

Production was moved back to Romania and the problem with the rust was sorted out in the newer models.

https://www.carscoops.com/2014/12/widespread-corrosion-issues-makes-uk/

Maybe the white paint is not thick enough or most likely that there has been a problem with the galvanisation process.

Cheers..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Problem is MG don't want to know. I have spoken to Customer Relations at Longbridge he just said it's not a front facing panel.

Basically it's been devalued by the rust and to be honest at the rate it's rusting it may well fail one of it's 1st mot's

I am awaiting on Vauxhall finance and have put in a complain with them. The should have come back to menu within 72 hours (Excluding the weekend) but that's not happened yet.

I think realistically the car needs to be reject not being of satisfactory quality but it's harder when the car is over 6 months. But saying that you can see the rust before it start to appear so guess I gonna have a battle on my hands.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem is MG don't want to know. I have spoken to Customer Relations at Longbridge he just said it's not a front facing panel.

Basically it's been devalued by the rust and to be honest at the rate it's rusting it may well fail one of it's 1st mot's

I am awaiting on Vauxhall finance and have put in a complain with them. The should have come back to menu within 72 hours (Excluding the weekend) but that's not happened yet.

I think realistically the car needs to be reject not being of satisfactory quality but it's harder when the car is over 6 months. But saying that you can see the rust before it start to appear so guess I gonna have a battle on my hands.

If you are rejecting the car then it is advisable to not use it otherwise it could weaken your case:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/34744/rejecting-a-new-or-used-car-top-tips

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any updates from Vauxhall finance?

Has there been any updates regarding the finance company as technically they own the vehicle?

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Plant code from the VIN

Just out of interest, what letter or number does your VIN show for character 11?

This is meant to represent the plant where the vehicle was built so if you one differs from mine then it is likely that one of our vehicles was built in Thailand rather than Shanghai in China.

Mine shows the letter G

The problem with the Dacia Dusters which were built in India was that the humidity had a negative effect on the steel being stored in the factory before being made in the car panels and this caused the panels to rust from the inside out together with a lack of anti rust protection and paint which caused a perfect storm.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi

My 11th code is Z
Thanks, according to Wikipedia only 2 factories make the ZS SUV:

Lingang, Shanghai, China
Laem Chabang, Thailand (CPG)

It is likely that your model was made in Thailand which is why you've not found anyone else with the same rust problem.

Have you tried asking on the ZS SUV owners Facebook page as they might be able to help out?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/317778835245715/

Good luck!

Cheers..

·
Registered
mg_zs
4 Posts
I think I will need to keep an eye on this as I have a code Z as well. My car is 3 months old, also in red, and I have done 4000 miles so far. Will take a look tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts