MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question......

You always hear about the amount of units of alchohol that you can have before you're over the limit to drive. I was just wondering what the limit is in real terms e.g. one pint of lager etc.

I only have one pint at the most if I go to the pub and I'm driving. I went to the pub at lunch time and had two pints (I wasnt driving) will I still be over the limit (about four hours later)?

Cheers guys :beer: :beer2: :beer: :beer2: :beer: :beer2:

·
Registered
rover_25
3,065 Posts
a far as i know its 1 pint and it takes 2 hours to get a pint out of your system but everyones different

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Yeah you are allowed 1 pint (2 units) assuming that the alcohol content is not more than 4.0%, therefore you are not allowed Stella, Bud, Export etc.

A bottle of Bud is ok because this is only 1/2 pint and 1.5 units.

It can take between 2 and 12 hours for the body to get rid of just 2 units of alcohol, although the average is 4.5 hours.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
I think its only a matter of time before the law is changed from 2 units to 0 units.

The problem arises for morning after drivers, bearing in mind that it can take up to 12 hours for the body to get rid of just 2 units for some people !

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I drink JD and coke usually, I'll normally have one cos (I'm gonna get flamed for this) it doesn't affect you as much as beer. Doesn't make you blurry/tired as much. Yes, I know it still affects your reactions.

I do sometimes have 2 if I've been there for a long time, like more than a few hours.

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
Didn't studies into this indicate that anything under 2 units didn't actually effect the hand eye foot co-ordination as far as driving was concerned?

If i go out and know i'll be driving back, its a pint of bitter and coke or water for the rest of the evening. I would never risk it. Especially with passengers in the car.
Ste

·
Registered
160 Posts
Alcohol effects different people differently, as already mentioned, and it even effects the same person differently from one time to the next. We've all experienced it out on the lash. One week, it'll be 7 pints and seemingly no effect, next week it could be 4 pints and under the table time.

Also, as someone pointed out to me recently, what if you did have an accident, no matter how minor? How could you be entirely sure that if you hadn't had 'just the one' that your reactions might have been a thousandth of a second quicker, or you might have spotted that car/person slightly earlier. As that's what you'd have to live with.

I refuse to even sip any form of alcohol if driving, simply from the point of view that it's the only way to be 100% sure.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
I dont drink hardly, but never do when driving, not even putting the car in the garage off the drive!!!

My dad always used to say 3 half pints was the limit...but with todays alchohol....some are quite strong arent they, so dont supose this aplys any more.

I thought it was 3 units not 2??
lucky i dont drink then if i thought this!?

Quite a few bottles say on how many units they are, such as the breezers are 1.5 units, same with buds, and smirnoff (bottles)

Also i know what people mean about the morning after drivers..
cus if they dont get in till say 2 o clock still wasted, and get up for work at 8 and drive to work at 9, then they are over the limit easily in most cases.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm 100% of the "dont touch a drop if I'm going anywhere near the car" opinion. Simply aint worth the risk to myself, other road users et al. Wouldn't get in the car of anyone who had a drink either, strikes me as common sense.

·
Window Licker
22,048 Posts
I always find that having no alcohol at all is the order of the day (although I admit that once in a while I'll have 1 pint)....better to be safe than sorry....:)

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
i work at a gray hound track and it worrys me how many pepole are drinking, coz u only ever see a few pepole on the buses or in taxis out of the useual 2000 customers.

tonight we went through 3 barrels of larger and were only 1 of 6 main bars.

i find it amazing how diferent drinks have diferent afects as its all alcohol but some just hit youre system so fast.
largers mine can be 2 pints and then i feel it but spirits can be quite a lot.

it just aint worth it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There's no such thing as the "how many pints can I have before I get caught" rule. As mentioned alcohol effects every person in a different way. Everyone is unique in that sense. If you have a drink at all you are taking a chance. Some people can drink to excess and still be under the legal limit. Trust me, the type of person who thinks enough isn't quite enough is the person I take back to the intoximeter and then they realise their life is going down the pan. It just isn't worth it. Also in Scotland you cannot be breathalised if you have consumed alcohol within the previous 20 minutes due to mouth alcohol effecting the result of the breath kit. So bear that in mind if you ever get stopped. Any police man/woman can breathalise you if you have committed a moving traffic offence/road accident/or as part of a routine stop. You have been warned.:beer: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
390 Posts
It is affected by lots of different factors, such as your metabolism, whether you have eaten recently before drinking, if you want to be safe, do without the beer.

I, like Ste have been a bar manager for going on 3 years, and drink 1 pint then its onto soft drinks, some people however think driving 5-8 pints is ok, as they still 'feel' alright.

Wasnt there some law over christmas were you got £500 if you grassed someone up for drink driving, i think that was a very good idea.

Andy:beer2:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Yeah, if you saw someone drinking that then left the pub and got in a car, you could call the police and give them their number plate, and they'd be waiting at home for them! :lol:

There are ways around breath tests, obviously not drinking is the best answer.
I still have one if I'm in a pub for any length of time though.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
yeh that 500 quid grass up a mate ran only in a few places didnt it...
dont know if it still does, apparently it was a big sucess as well.

anyway, just remebered once at work(resturant), someone came into the kitchen and said how there was a guy having a few pints with his dinner, with his wife and two kids.
Everyone knew he was driving home, cus the people knew who he was..
and he did drive home also..

i just think thats unfair and stupid...and pointless.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I seem to remember that there was a guide to how many drinks you could have. It was '3' - 3 halfs of beer, 3 shorts or 1/3 of a bottle of wine. They stopped it when they realised how stupid it is. Some people would be quite seriously affected by that much.

My personal rule is none when I'm driving. As mentioned above it's the thought of causing an accident and then wondering if it could have been avoided if you hadn't had a drink.

I'd like to see a zero level brought in. The present limit is impossible for anyone to judge. If it was zero everyone would know they shouldn't even have one when they're going to be driving.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Don't think that would help, people tend to assume for some reason that your body removes about a unit an hour, so if someone was in the pub for 2 hours they'd still have a couple of pints and drive.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
When I got banned (2 years ago) the limit was five units, and as far as I am aware there have been no changes. This is equivalent to abount 2.5pints of 'normal' beer, although 2 pints of Stella will see you over the limit.

When I was banned I attended a drink driver rehabilitation course, and now know enough about how much and how long alcohol affects you that I could go on for hours. I won't but I will say DON'T take any risks. Just one point over the limit and you WILL lose your licence for 12 months. My insurance premiums are nearly double what they could be, and the ban (DR10) has to be declared for 11 years.

I have only ever driven whilst over the limit once, and I was caught (routine check). I can't make any excuses, what I did was incredibly stupid, but it just goes to show how easy it is to get stopped.

As for a zero limit, I don't think this will work. I believe they tried it somewhere in Scandinavia, and athletes kept getting caught out as their body was making it's own alcohol in small quantities due to their high sugar(energy) diets.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,892 Posts
As a younger driver is best to stick to no units if your driving. Sounds much better when the cops stop you for a 'routine' check.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts