MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
We were waved into a layby last weekend by the police. They were pulling cars at random and asking if you'd had any alcohol in the last 24hrs. Fortunately, I could say "no" as I don't drink much anyway. They were handing out leaflets about the effects of drinking and driving.
I'll see if I've still got it.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,892 Posts
Also if you state you've had a drink they will automatically breath test you. Which is fine, but whilst they are doing this every passer by gives you the dirtiest look ever!

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
An "aquaintance" of mine got stopped a while back. We'd gone to the pub at 8pm, and by 10:30pm he'd had 4 pints of Stella.

At 11pm he passed a breath test.:yikes:

Anyway, personally, I have "Shandy" when driving, and always make sure they are over 50% lemonade. 3 pints of shandy, made with 3.6% bitter, is fine to drive.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,892 Posts
cosb6 said:
An "aquaintance" of mine got stopped a while back. We'd gone to the pub at 8pm, and by 10:30pm he'd had 4 pints of Stella.

At 11pm he passed a breath test.:yikes:

Anyway, personally, I have "Shandy" when driving, and always make sure they are over 50% lemonade. 3 pints of shandy, made with 3.6% bitter, is fine to drive.
hope he know he was very lucky. Sorry if he a friend but 4 pints is fucky stupid!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
You should tell the police you've had a drink within 20 minutes and request another test, they take you to the station and use the tester there (if they've got one), then say you don't trust it (only if it was borderline), and request a blood test, you then have to wait half an hour for the doctor to turn up (unless there's one in the station - :doh: ). By then you'll be better off.

By the way - this isn't personal experience. :p

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The law is based on blood alcohol so its not safe to say 1 unit/hour since different people have different tolerances to alcohol, metabolise it at different rates, and this all varies on a daily basis. So the only way to be safe is to test your self or not drink.

A mate sent me this a while ago, its not perfect but can give you a clue as to when your over the limit.

Attachments

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
wiledw said:
hope he know he was very lucky. Sorry if he a friend but 4 pints is fucky stupid!
I called him an "aquaintance" deliberatly...

Taking a risk on your licence would be ok... but your licence isn't a life at risk... that's belongs to somone else....

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The question should not be " Can I get away with it after drinking (X) amount"

It should be " Could I live with myself if I could have avoided that accident by not drinking that 1 pint"

My point is that even after 1 pint your reactions are slower than normal.

You may still be legal, you may still be quicker reacting than "old man joe".
But if you could have avoided knocking down a five year old child by being just a little quicker....how bad would you feel about drinking that pint....or driving whilst tired???

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,892 Posts
Have to say i agree with ben on this one i hate the idea of people drink up to the maximum allowed by law and then assuming that they are being safe.

Also don't agree with those self breath test kits. If you need to check you should NOT be driving.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Try playing on racing games when you've had a few, it becomes clear why you shouldn't be on the road quite quickly.

Did anyone see the episode of 5th Gear where they tested a stoned driver. He hit the cones before he had a spliff and didn't when he had. (Not that I'm endorsing the use of weed or any thing :bandit: )

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,892 Posts
Would consider drug driving as the bigger problem now, due to the massive club culture that existsin the UK. You only have to observe the people leaving a night club to know some are not 100% clean.

Also their is no reliable test yet so police are powerless unless they find drugs or the person is oviously 'high'.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
wiledw said:
Would consider drug driving as the bigger problem now. Due to the club culture that exists. You only have to observe the people leaving a night club to know some are not 100% clean.
Problem is that there's no conclusive evidence on the effects of drugs other than alcohol and a few prescription/over-the-counter medicines. Whats needed are extensive tests in simulators, any volunteers?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
cosb6 said:
It doesn't matter if there's an effect though.. it's either legal, or illegal!
Sadly thats true (at least legislatively), until the government accepts that drug use is not going to go away, the illegality of drugs is compounding the 'problem'. Makes it hard for studies to be carried out.

If I took a pill on saturday night am I safe to drive as soon as it wears off, sunday morning, sunday afternoon when?

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,892 Posts
And of course you never no exactly what it is your buying or how powerful it might be. This would make legislation complete impossible.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts