MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
33,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I have been in and out of the engine bay sooooo many times in the last 6 months that I was thinking of fastening it on with velcro. If it wasn't for it being a fire safety issue and keeping the fumes out, that is.

One thing that really got my goat was to have to manhandle the worlds biggest, heaviest moth eaten piece of sound proofing that MG could find. Everytime I took it out a new bit fell off. By the end it was more like a jigsaw puzzle.

So, I finally made the decision to do something about it.

I bought some Dynamat Extreme off ebay, from the good ol' US of A. 34 sq ft of it. Should come in handy.

Once the cover was off I washed it down with washing up liquid and then gave it a once over with IPA (Industrial alcohol)

You then remove the backing paper (just a bit at a time) and apply to the cover.

Use a roller to apply over smooth areas

And use a suitable tool to force it into contours. I used the handle of the roller.

And the finished cover. Very blingy.

Next it was onto the parcel shelf.

A quick wipe over with IPA again.

And started applying the Dynamat. Starting at one end and working toward the other.

In complicated or intricate locations I cut smaller pieces rather than going for the One sheet look.

And the finished article. I don't think I will be head hunted by Dynamat, but I do think it looks good. It was almost a shame to put the shabby, loose fitting carpet bit back in. It is even more loose fitting now.

On initial tests the sound level seems to be on a par with the standard soundproofing. You can hear things that you couldn't hear before, but not on a louder level. I like the sound, it is almost as if you can hear the engine doing it's job, but not on an obtrusive level. Difficult to explain really. Just suffice to say I am pleased, and I don't do loud.

Now, next time I need to get to the engine, I don't need to move any soundproofing. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
mgf
483 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, mine is dropping to bits. Its also stuck onto the carpet that sits on top due to a leaky back screen a few months back. Just out of interest are you using a standard air filter or do you have a crafty K+N hidden in that box?

·
Registered
371 Posts
great idea, well done. definitely something i would like to do as i have to remove my hoops just to remove the sound proofing before i even get to the hatch so anything to make it easier is a god send.:broon:

·
Registered
33,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know exactly what you mean, mine is dropping to bits. Its also stuck onto the carpet that sits on top due to a leaky back screen a few months back. Just out of interest are you using a standard air filter or do you have a crafty K+N hidden in that box?
Sorry, didn't see your question before. I have the standard airbox with an ITG panel filter. Direct replacement for the MG one. I did want a K&N, as I use them on my bikes, but they didn't do one for the TF160 when I last checked.

·
Registered
33,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They do, I have one :) bought it from Rally Equip in Bury. they had to order it in specially for me
At the time, about a year ago, I actually e-mailed K&N and they assured me that they did not have one, or a compatible one.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
At the time, about a year ago, I actually e-mailed K&N and they assured me that they did not have one, or a compatible one.
well i got mine pretty soon after i got the car almost 2 years ago. It was a special order from K&N themselves. And i do remember it saying TF160 on it too cos i was concerned i might get the wrong one.....i dont' have part numbers or anything though or a reciept but i know it was definately TF160

·
Registered
33,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i got mine pretty soon after i got the car almost 2 years ago. It was a special order from K&N themselves. And i do remember it saying TF160 on it too cos i was concerned i might get the wrong one.....i dont' have part numbers or anything though or a reciept but i know it was definately TF160
Dohhhhh. Oh well. I am sure the ITG one is just as good. :s2h:

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Dohhhhh. Oh well. I am sure the ITG one is just as good. :s2h:
i'm sure it is :) my K&Ni kit came with all the piping etc for all the cold air feed etc although i did replace this with a bigger one. and the K&Ni was a perfect fit and certainly does it's job :)

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Great CJJ.

I ahve my cover off more than I care to count. My soundproof has recently started to fall apart.

·
Registered
33,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm sure it is :) my K&Ni kit came with all the piping etc for all the cold air feed etc although i did replace this with a bigger one. and the K&Ni was a perfect fit and certainly does it's job :)
Aha. You have a K&N kit. I was just talking about a panel filter as a direct replacement for the TF filter panel.

·
Registered
33,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great CJJ.

I ahve my cover off more than I care to count. My soundproof has recently started to fall apart.
My next mod to the cover will be to replace the 3 front bolts, that sit under the speaker cowling, with slightly hooked "fingers", so that you just locate them in the holes and as you lower the back end into place the fingers will hold it at the front (if you know what I mean). This will mean that I can take the cover off without removing the T-bar cover, wind stop and speaker bar.

Imagine that :bgrin2:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
good job matey looks the business!

i still would like a perspex cover to show off the engine bay (which would of course be dressed up to look pretty!) but sound levels would increase with that i would imagine...would have to do something quite clever to make it really the part tho

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Smart Job CJJ...every time I look at a thread by yourself I see something else I want to have a go at this summer....did you notice much of an inprovement in cutting down noise?

cheers

mikie

·
Registered
33,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would say it's an improvement. It is no louder, but the noise that comes through is nicer. You can hear induction etc, when you floor it.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,162 Posts
My next mod to the cover will be to replace the 3 front bolts, that sit under the speaker cowling, with slightly hooked "fingers", so that you just locate them in the holes and as you lower the back end into place the fingers will hold it at the front (if you know what I mean). This will mean that I can take the cover off without removing the T-bar cover, wind stop and speaker bar.

Imagine that :bgrin2:
That sounds a great idea and would finish off what is a superb time saving and neatly finished upgrade, are the sound levels the same or more/less than the original damping material? Does the carpet really rattle around?

i still would like a perspex cover to show off the engine bay (which would of course be dressed up to look pretty!) but sound levels would increase with that i would imagine...
I would imagine that perspex has much better sound damping properties than the OEM metal engine cover has.

To achieve this would not be too difficult. I would double sided tape the OEM cover to a piece of say 10mm perspex and use it as a template on a spindle moulder fitted with a straight bearing guided cutter, to make it easier you could cut the original shape roughly with a jigsaw fitted with a plastic cutting blade before finishing it on the spindle moulder.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts