MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
rover_sd1
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good day all, I still j]have a problem with my 2.0 diesel after top overhaul.
The engine on cold start takes 10 or sec to start but runs lumpy then dies after 10 seconds.

The second start is less lumpy holding the 1000 rpm level however the engine takes 30 or so seconds to rev., during which plumes of white smoke are seen if the engine is lightly revved at say 1500 - 2000 rpm. The lumpy run stops once the smoke clears.

Little smoke is seen once the engine when operating temp is reached.

When warm on start I have to sit for about a 30 seconds to minute for the engine to sort itself out before driving off. In this the engine again does not rev however starts instantly with little smoke.

I checked the wiring to the TPS and that of the no1 injector. Plus disconnected the EGR.

The MIL has been on for some months but the ECU shows no errors using the Bosch engine diagnostics.

It may help to know that after a run the engine exhaust emission smells of diesel but no black smoke when driving or light revving.

I had thought that it was valve guides as I did not change these. But then I should see the same amount of smoke when I restart after say an hour after standing.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Sounds like coolant might be entering the combustion chambers to me.

·
Registered
rover_sd1
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like coolant might be entering the combustion chambers to me.

Thanks Ian but I already checked for that, zero water loss for now. This is real oil smoke as if there is a blown Turbo seal. It hangs in the air whereas steam does not and it smells of oil.

·
Registered
rover_sd1
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought to give a heads up / update.
Although the problem of a non start from cold, then when it does, one cannot rev for a minute or two has remained. This occurs when Hot too. Cleaning of the EGR help to a degree in eliminating the start up and first run smoke But only after that following below.
I have solved the smoking when reving a warm engine.
I think the entire exhaust system including the fiber Glass resonance absorber encapsulated in the silencer was diesel soaked.
The later being due to the starting / cranking problem first encountered prior to doing a blow by and compression test, where it was discovered that the rings had worn out of limits. Over a few long drives the smoke disappeared to near nothing.
BUT after the EGR cleaning the smoke disappeared completely.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi,
From your initial post I thought it could of been a similar problem to I had last week after a long period of not been started. Mine wouldn't rev and smoked badly. I followed the Haynes manual advice on bleed in the fuel system and mine started and ran fine after that.
I have also had a top end overhaul after a snapped timing belt and getting the timing correct can be tricky. Again I followed the Haynes manual except I think there might be a mistake in the later 45 manual but basically I used a torque wrench to apply a set torque to the pump pulley then tensioner. I'm sure some of the Gurus on this forum have a guide some where to help you but if you need any more info from the Haynes manual just let me know.
Have you checked the turbo oil feed and return seals as to the source of the smoke although that won't affect the running.
Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts