MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2002 MGTF 160 . The engine light is on (orange). I have had it to the mechanic and has carried out a diagnosed a P1522 variable valve control A cam position actuator signal is low also P0420 Catalytic converter . The vehicle runs great with no loss of performance . Has any one had this problem ? Cheers Bruce Buchan

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have to concur, The management light on my 25 comes on every now and then and the car runs fine. Generally once cleared it doesn't come back. Every time the light comes on its usually something different. If i remember rightly it was something about fuel trim last time, and before that it was something to do with the ignition system.

The problem i've found with the MEMS management system on my 25 and my old MG ZR is once an error occurs the light stays on whether the symptom persists or not. I should imagine its the same on the MGTF.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to concur, The management light on my 25 comes on every now and then and the car runs fine. Generally once cleared it doesn't come back. Every time the light comes on its usually something different. If i remember rightly it was something about fuel trim last time, and before that it was something to do with the ignition system.

The problem i've found with the MEMS management system on my 25 and my old MG ZR is once an error occurs the light stays on whether the symptom persists or not. I should imagine its the same on the MGTF.
I have had it cleared three times but it comes back on after you drive for about 60 klms

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
My bet is the cam position sensor. these things are often to blame for a number of readouts and are easy enough to replace.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My bet is the cam position sensor. these things are often to blame for a number of readouts and are easy enough to replace.
Have a look for damaged wiring from the cam sensor, especially if its close to the engine block or manifolds. See if the sensor connector plug is ok, maybe disconnect the sensor and try cleaning out the plug with electronic cleaner spray, it may just be a dodgy pin on the plug. Intermittent faults generally are faults in wiring or connectors, if the sensor is kaput, chances are it would be a permanent fault.

Sundance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts