MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a long awaited i finally got around to recording my rover while someone else was standing next to me of which they agree it sounds loud and knocky. In the video you will hear a whirring noise to the left rear, the steering belt is cracked and it was taken off to have a look at to see what the noise was. It was still the same. It was suggested that something sounds out of time but neither of us being professionals, we don't know. Anyone would be able to help us in the direction of what it sounds like, and what it could be,

Many thanks Alex

Link is here: 20200101_162636_27398352912708.mp4

·
Registered
rover_25
31 Posts
sounds like a normal k16, have you checked the oil, maybe try changing the oil and filter for some good 10w40 semi synthetic oil

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, so am i understanding that the cracked belt can cause the alternator to strain like it has been described on the alternator topic, and make it look like an alternator failing?

·
Registered
81 Posts
That sounds like mine when its cold 🤣

The whirring noise could only be one of four things. Alternator, Power Steering pump, water pump or the bearing on the cam tensioner.

Have you tried taking off the belts that run the alternator and power steering and then running the engine? If the whirring noise is still there it could be time for a new cam belt and water pump.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh good, kind of good to hear its not the engine block that's not the issue it has been getting louder (idle and 30mph especially 40mph+). In the video, what you hear(whirring) I think is with the power steering belt half off as somehow the manual adjustment bolt for the alternator tensioner is ever slightly bent (we think from when the hg was done cause it machine bent) and cause its so long it will do nothing but cross-thread. This is what threw the belt half off.I have been told it probably is the alternator or the voltage regulator (on other discussion) though i get no signs the alternator is failing except charging at 13.3v after 5miles journey as i am told that i would be struggling to start the car with a failing alternator. The water pump, and timing belt( is this the cam belt?) were changed 4months ago when i had the head gasket done (about 2000,miles ago)

Will check and take them off tomorrow. though i do know the steering belt is cracked and this is the area the vibration and noise has been coming from

·
Registered
81 Posts
My engine in the 25 has sounded like that when its cold for as long as i can remember. It still starts every time, doesn't burn oil and always completely quietens down once its been running for a few minutes. Before i fitted the engine in my 25 it was originally in my old MG ZR which was scrapped about 5 years ago and its always sounded like that when its cold for as long as i can remember.

The K series has never been the most refined engine out there, but its still a great engine which ever way you look at it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Been a while but i think i am making progress. I had both belts removed, started the engine and it is oh so much quieter, there is still a grinding noise ever so often which my two neighbours who maintain their own car (not rover's) say it sounds like the cambelt tensioner. There is a weird smell that i never notice before which you could smell 5secs after the engine started (nothing like i smelt before so i have no reference of what it could be). Now the car has not been driven for about 3 weeks (saving brake mileage mostly so i can do suspension at the same time) or so it could be residual stuff from me cleaning, unseizing the alternator screws with penetrating liquid etc. It gets turned on twice a week. I was told the way to check for sure was to run the engine for 5mins and when off check the cambelt tensioner and if its hot then the tensiorion is going. We took the timing cover off from the top and look at the belt. Its a new belt 3 months old from the head gasket and i could see the left side of the belt was fraying along the edges for as much of the belt as we could see which was the right cam pulley and about a quarter of the way down. We could not see further as the engine mount was in the way.

So just a couple of questions, does this sound like a cambelt tensioner going? is the cambelt tensioner not changed during timing belt and head gasket changes? is there anything else i should inspect to see why the belt is fray along the edges? Can bad timing cause this? Can a cambelt tensioners or any off the cam shaft which keep the belt in time cause this if not tensioned correctly?

I spoke to my mechanic (not the one who did the head gasket) he is not convinced it is cambelt tensioner but he has not seen, the belt,car or smell so obviously cant say for sure. Also if it is the tensioner it will mean the timing belt will need to be done again which i think it pretty good going, a new record in sight of 3 cambelts in 4-5 months. First one i got change due to mileage and no record of it being done, second was for the head gasket and now maybe for the cambelt tensioner, lol

In the circumstances would you say to change the water pump/pulleys as i now they come with the cambelt kits even if its only 2 months (less then 2000 miles old).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,
so a bit of an interesting one i think, I have changed the alternator belt, power steering belt, cleaned the map sensor ( on top of the engine), new ground cables for the starter and the battery ground, new screws/bolts for the bumper and ground screw. The engine is still quiet like when i took the belts off I pulled the timing cover off the top and there is a goldish lines running on the backside of the belt some of them are longer then the camshaft pulley teeth (see picture), harder to photograph was the tiny chunks take out of the teeth on the outside and the inside of the v shape teeth on the outside of the belt but can be seen with the eyes. Would anyone be worried about this gold markings? Starting today after 6 weeks of not driving the first 15 miles it ran much quieter, sometimes barely hearing it. The was no throttle hesitations and brakes were good once they got rid of the drops of mud residue on them. Even the fans had dirt in the motors once blown with cold air they stop whinning. When I got back home, it sounded louder but nowhere near as loud as it did before at 40mph where i could hear the rotations louder then the wheels rotation. Even the right rear suspension was quiet and not bouncing like it did before i stopped it (no suspension was done). It sounded great at 50 mph only slightly louder than the radio at volume 12 and most of that was tyre rotation.

Feeling good, I went to load up the live data on the obd scan tool and found there was a permermant code of "P0340- Camshaft sensor position, circuit failure, bank 1"- I check the codes quite regularly when driving so I know this was not in the car before 23 dec (the last time it was driven more than 10ft). So I can only assume this is a recent one, accumulated on engine start ups or when driving today. The strange thing was it never triggered the MIL on but it was stored in permanent and the car has never ran better (engine noise wise).

So my question would be it is a must do, asap kind of job or as its running quiet, to leave it and see what happens? Is this kind of code meant to trigger the check engine light?

I understand sometimes they need cleaning but could someone point me in the direction of where it is, I know its on top and connected to one of the cylinder but i cannot for the life see it. Is it near the ignition coil leads or timing belt side of the engine?

Many Thanks

Alex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts