MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my 2002 Connoisseur Auto CDT suddenly lost traction yesterday and EP, which I understand is Emergency Programme, appeared where N/D, and so on, usually appear on the dash.

As I understand it (which I might not) this is gearbox-related, but could it be as 'simple' as the ECU or as complicated and costly as the box itself? Any ideas?

Oh, by the way, after it had done this, I tried again later, it started fine and drove as normal for a way before reverting to little traction and EP on the dash.

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried it again this morning and it didn't revert to EP, but did jump as, I presume, it changed gear. May be a silly question, but could this be as simple as needs oil?

·
Registered
729 Posts
It could have been a glitch or you need to charge the battery due to lack of use from lock down?

Have you got an OBD engine diagnostic reader to check for any fault codes and clear them?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been used regularly, if only for short journeys. No, unfortunately. I don't think many garages now have that testing equipment, do they?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just booked it in for a diagnostic test next week, any thoughts on driving very carefully for very short distances until then? Took it out just down the road this morning, varied between driving perfectly, going into EP mode (lost traction) and driving with normal D on dash rather than EP, but 'jumped' changing gear.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you are only using the car for short trips definitely charge the battery as it could be an electrical issue.

I just bought one of these to maintain the battery, my family only use their cars occasionally for short trips:

The diagnostic check should tell you what's wrong, if they only clear the fault it will keep returning until you get to the bottom of it.

Contact the Rover 75 owners club to see if they can give you advice or price estimates for autobox issues:

Searching online I found the following you could check before it goes to the garage:

• Check all the plugs connecting gearbox to engine, most "EP" related probs are electrical.
  • First off check fuse 34......might be the problem.
  • Second, are your plenums dry ?
  • Third, is your battery well charged ?
  • If you have the car's radio code and if this is simply a systems glitch you could try disconnecting the battery for about 30-40 minutes, then re-connect.
  • EP is usually a poor connection somewhere between the cars ECU and the gearbox ECU
Some other advice re the auto box copied from the 75 and ZT Owners Club:

It doesn't have to be specifically a T4 to scan the Autobox or Engine.
There are other scanners out there which do the job but some will only scan the engine.
I use a Snap-On Solus Pro & have repaired several of these boxes.

The auto fluid should be changed at 60,000 miles or every four years. It is vital to use the correct fluid and note that you can only drain about 4 litres even though the box contains eight litres. There is a correct procedure to follow (search on here for info) so give the job to an expert or, if you are doing it yourself, THE LEVEL PLUG IS ON THE BOTTOM. Do not be tempted to undo any bolts on the sides of the box as this will probably result in loss of reverse gear and require a rebuild. Since your engine oil seems to have been neglected it is highly likely that the auto box has never been touched.
'Sluggish'? If it only from a standstill up to around 2000 revs then you need to unplug the MAF to see if it comes alive.(Again, info on this site).
There is also a known fault in the multi connectors near the battery which someone more knowledgeable will tell you about.

Also some videos for you to check which could be related:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've just looked at the battery charger. I'm presuming the one you mention, the 7402, is the one, but I see there's 7401, 7404... How does it work? Leave it connected under the bonnet overnight? Thanks again...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, have just looked at the video, so understand how it works now.

If I drive, say, a couple of miles a day while it's in EP mode (or jumping) before it's fixed is that likely to cause an damage, would you know?

·
Registered
729 Posts
The trickle charger may take a few days to charge at 0.5A. I bought the charger from Opie Oils in Cornwall and they do give advice if you want to check which is right for your needs.

You could consult the car handbook to see what it advises with EP mode. I found this which explains EP mode a bit more and also mentions the battery again, on another forum:

The gearbox will go into Emergency Program when it detects any one of many faults and according to manufacturer, specification, software etc will basically override any settings etc and only allow something like 3rd to be automatically selected (locked) so at least you can get home etc albeit a bit slowly and uneconomically. Be careful not to jump to conclusions as I would agree that from your description it was a bit of a one off with your starting the engine or another to bear in mind this can be sometimes a first indication of the battery being a bit old and low on charge. Many of the control units have an undervoltage detection on them and through the use of programming etc nowadays we can think of the cars being intelligent enough that to allow you to keep moving, when it becomes necessary many things can be shut down to keep any remaining power available for the engine control unit to run and you to keep moving.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, have been using it very carefully for very short journeys, has been behaving then going to EP, usually.

This morning, when it's due to go in for diagnosis, it's completely dead. I thought battery, but lights, radio and so on all okay, and EP showing on dash.

I've ordered one of the chargers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So this morning there wasn't a sign of life, as I say, so I called the RAC.

The problem this morning was unrelated to the gearbox, apparently. He said something like there's a duff brush inside the starter motor and it apparently landed in the wrong place when last used. Something like that! So I need a new (to me) starter motor, apparently, which is not too drastic. It was starting when he left, so looks like I was just unlucky this morning (and may be again).

He did the diagnosis I was due to have at a local garage this morning and has sent me the results. It all looks quite frightening to me, but may make some sense to someone who understands what they're looking at! Should I attach it here?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Glad you were able to get it going again and learn a bit more about the problem.

Yes attach it here or you could try the 75 owners club if you don't get a response.

I think once you've charged the battery you can at least rule it out.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Here is a list of fault codes if this is helpful to you:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MY apologies for absence. Well now, finally got the starter motor fixed, no subsequent EP problems, but still took it into auto gearbox centre as booked. They couldn't find anything wrong and it has driven without problem since, so must have been related to starter motor somehow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts