MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. So I am looking to buy a MG Mgf on a 98 plate, 45,000 miles. New hood and well looked after. What sort of money should I be looking to pay and any tips on what to look out for. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
When you buy any car that is 20 years old or more you will need a piece of string. Don't ask me how long it is - but do find out; the condition, history, number of owners etc. These imho are more important than the price. (work done, different driving styles). There are posts about buying mgf's and what you have to look for. I would hunt these out first. Go in with your eyes open so to speak. How much are you willing to spend after purchasing a car is a question you must ask yourself? The biggies - £5-600 clutch, £700 Head gasket.
I start at the bottom of a car and work up. If you are unsure take someone along who is experienced. Not a mate who says he is.
As an example my MG is well looked after but it is not perfect and still needs work doing. It had a leaky wheel bearing. That sort of thing would be tricky to find. It is about finding out what it needs before you can ascertain a price.
Go see it twice. Make a list then price up the work. Have a contingency fund.
If you are not going to keep it long term and it needs work. Will you recoup your outlay when you come to sell?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good morning all. So I am looking to buy a MG Mgf on a 98 plate, 45,000 miles. New hood and well looked after. What sort of money should I be looking to pay and any tips on what to look out for. Any advice would be appreciated.
When you buy any car that is 20 years old or more you will need a piece of string. Don't ask me how long it is - but do find out; the condition, history, number of owners etc. These imho are more important than the price. (work done, different driving styles). There are posts about buying mgf's and what you have to look for. I would hunt these out first. Go in with your eyes open so to speak. How much are you willing to spend after purchasing a car is a question you must ask yourself? The biggies - £5-600 clutch, £700 Head gasket.
I start at the bottom of a car and work up. If you are unsure take someone along who is experienced. Not a mate who says he is.
As an example my MG is well looked after but it is not perfect and still needs work doing. It had a leaky wheel bearing. That sort of thing would be tricky to find. It is about finding out what it needs before you can ascertain a price.
Go see it twice. Make a list then price up the work. Have a contingency fund.
If you are not going to keep it long term and it needs work. Will you recoup your outlay when you come to sell?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the honest reply. I'm an engineer by trade so have a idea of what to look for but first MG.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
If you are unsure take someone along who is experienced. Not a mate who says he is.

The above is such a good bit of advice- You say youre and engineer, so am I- we think we know it all, but how often have you brought a car and found defects you didnt see when you first drove it away?

TBH- I wouldnt buy an expensive one as a first MG- We've had 2 in this house- My son brought an 'expensive' Trophy Special- it looked a treat but had been mucked around with and whether my son liked it or not- I took it back to before all the silly-bits had been fitted/added and it ran better- but it was the hard end of £4k. (Oh, he added an expensive exhaust which it duly failed the MOT on due to noise- and guess who fitted it...)

He got married, moved out and sold the car after about 3 years as hes not mechanically minded and grew to not trust the car- that was its death.

I fancied a project to go with the endless bikes (as if Ive not got enough) and brought my 02 T160- I paid £1.5k. Ive had it 4 1/12 years and its always run better than his. Just normal maintenace, undersealing, brake callipers, discs, Its been a good car. Most things that have gone wrong have been solved by resech on here (lots of good intensioned advice) and my own common-sence (s/c lamda was the most trying as it was so intermittent) Its so easy to throw money at a problem but Im not of that ilk.

A T has some bits that you either cannot get or are buggers to recondition/remanufacture- Id sugest you buy something almost disposable before you spend on a mint T

You would be so well advised to take someone whos got an MGT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts