MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some help needed please, went to my local halfords today to ask them if they could mix some paint if I gave them the code, COF flame red, they said it wasn't on there computer so couldn't help,I then looked on the shelf and saw some rover flame red is it the same, it looks very close. Thanks

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Rover (in its various incarnations) used the same names and even same codes for different shades over the years. Even if the code is correct, you'd struggle to get a good match as your car's paint will have faded over the years, and colours can vary ever so slightly between batches when new anyway.

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,131 Posts
The reason Halfords staff often say they can't find the colour code is because they try to look it up under 'Rover', and of course it isn't there because all the Leyland, Austin Morris, Rover, Austin Rover, Rover Group and MG Rover colour codes are listed on most paint systems under British Leyland Vehicle Coatings (BLVC).

As to the Flame Red on the shelf; it should have a code on the cap which should confirm whether it is the correct variant, but there was a Flame Red in use in the early 1970s as well as the Flame Red used in the 1990s (and there are two colour codes for the 1990s Flame Red, just to add to potential confusion).

You will struggle to get a good match, partly because some operators don't seem very good at getting the mix right, and partly because some aftermarket paint manufacturers haven't got the formula quite right (I had some Lechler Goodwood Green recently that was way out), but mostly (as leRich has said) because your paint will have faded a bit (and solid reds are the worst colours of all for fade).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts