MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Yes most of us knew and wouldn't comment before and during the trial due to legal issues.

Terrible for all involved, nothing else to say really.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Not really a surprise he was caught bang to rights. Sadly he was a talented driver who has most likely ruined his career forever for one stupid foolish act.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Even so, if he was on the phone he was driving without due care. Once he killed someone, it is death by dangerous driving. Bang to rights.
We will never know what really happened or who's fault it was because Wrathall pleaded guilty to careless driving and so the judge/jury did not have to make a judgement.

What we do know is that you should never use a phone while driving and that doing so can have serious consequences.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
We will never know what really happened or who's fault it was because Wrathall pleaded guilty to careless driving and so the judge/jury did not have to make a judgement.

What we do know is that you should never use a phone while driving and that doing so can have serious consequences.
Ploughed into someone at a roundabout. That's pretty much an open and shut case

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
when you say 'ploughed into someone at a roundabout'

you make it seem like he was racing and out of control.

i think it was a simple mistake

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
when you say 'ploughed into someone at a roundabout'

you make it seem like he was racing and out of control.

i think it was a simple mistake
Apparently a "careless" mistake, had he simply ploughed into someone he would have been done for dangerous driving or worse. As I understand it, the bike went into the side of Wrathall's vehicle/trailer, had the bike been following the normal rules of the road then there probably wouldn't have been an issue, had Wrathall not been on the phone then he might have paid more attention to what the bike was doing and avoided the accident, so I think both were at fault.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Apparently a "careless" mistake, had he simply ploughed into someone he would have been done for dangerous driving or worse. As I understand it, the bike went into the side of Wrathall's vehicle/trailer, had the bike been following the normal rules of the road then there probably wouldn't have been an issue, had Wrathall not been on the phone then he might have paid more attention to what the bike was doing and avoided the accident, so I think both were at fault.
this.............

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
OK a slightly better source than the Express, which used that sensationalist term. However if this is factual and the reporting seems so, it is 100% Wrathall's fault..

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/race-driver-jailed-for-killing-cyclist-1-6427431

Lancashire Evening Post said:
Wrathall, who was driving a Citroen van and towing his racing car, failed to spot Mr Fingleton and cut across him at the roundabout – knocking the chartered accountant off his bicycle and leaving him with severe injuries to his head and spine.
My guess is that the cyclist was riding across Mr Wrathall's exit (as they are entitled to do - section 187 of the highway code mentions that drivers should look out for this). So I stand by what I said before, open and shut case.

And the CPS are well known for going for a lesser charge on a guilty plea to save money. It's far cheaper than going to trial. Sad but true!

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
My guess is that the cyclist was riding across Mr Wrathall's exit (as they are entitled to do - section 187 of the highway code mentions that drivers should look out for this)...
Rule 187 does say that the cyclist needs to indicate that they are going to cross an exit, it also says that they should "watch out for and give plenty of room to long vehicles (including those towing trailers).".

Have you seen the video? The cyclist did not cross in front of Mr Wrathall but collided with the side of his vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts