MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I think my front offside brake is sticking on my 420.

It seems to get considerably hotter and you can smell it even after braking lightly. When we changed the discs and pads about 2 weeks ago the offside pad was pretty much non existent while the nearside still had at least half the pad left.

I wanna catch this now before I have to change all the pads and discs again. :(

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Take the caliper off, and clean up the slider pins and their holes. give them a nice this smear of grease (NOT copper grease) and re-assemble. Also check that the piston is free to move nicely and the boot is in good condition.

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right ok. I may just book it into the garage as I have no idea how to do any of it nor do I have any tools to do so. :(

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
It's dead easy mate, if I can do it you can. :p

You got a Haynes manual? That details how to do all the daft little jobs like this, all you need to do to clean it up is:

- Whip the wheel off
- Remove 2 bolts holding brake caliper to the slider assembly
- Check everything is free and moving correctly
- Grease slider pins if needed

Dead simple, don't chuck money away. :)

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Hey all, I think my front offside brake is sticking on my 420.

It seems to get considerably hotter and you can smell it even after braking lightly. When we changed the discs and pads about 2 weeks ago the offside pad was pretty much non existent while the nearside still had at least half the pad left.

I wanna catch this now before I have to change all the pads and discs again. :(
Told ya so

On a serious point though, yep as I said in your other thread as soon as I read about the pads being thin/non existant one side and not the other - it ran alarm bells for a sticking caliper striaght away.

New caliper, free slide pins and all will be well.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Told ya so

On a serious point though, yep as I said in your other thread as soon as I read about the pads being thin/non existant one side and not the other - it ran alarm bells for a sticking caliper striaght away.

New caliper, free slide pins and all will be well.
+1 , Have to say i thought the same as i had the problem on my zs, I managed to sort it myself and found it a reasonably easy job to be fair, just like everyone else has said....

·
Registered
mg_zs
57 Posts
Also check that the piston is free to move nicely and the boot is in good condition.
+1 on this. Mine was sticking and it turned out to be the piston. I got a rebuild kit and rebuilt the caliper and it's been fine since.

Give the boot a good check as any rips will let grit in and may seize the caliper. Not a difficult job but if you aren't confident then take it to a garage, don't take chances with brakes.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
13 Posts
Take the caliper off, and clean up the slider pins and their holes. give them a nice this smear of grease (NOT copper grease) and re-assemble. Also check that the piston is free to move nicely and the boot is in good condition.
Excuse me forstarting up this old thread again. But I´m just about to fix a front brake that is sticking and I'd like to know. Why is cooper grease bad. That´s what's been used on my car before. Is it wrong?

·
Registered
14 Posts
IIRC its petroleum based so it could soften/damage the rubber boots... as to how long that'd take i don't know.

You really want to use silicone grease though.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Excuse me forstarting up this old thread again. But I´m just about to fix a front brake that is sticking and I'd like to know. Why is cooper grease bad. That´s what's been used on my car before. Is it wrong?
Copper grease is ok in small quantities for the mating surfaces where the pads touch the callipers. It is not good for the slide pins, under the rubber boots, which need a HT grease. Copper grease on slider pins tends to go hard and seize them.

You may be better off just changing the callipers if they persist to stick wear pads unevenly.

Heres a couple of jobs I did on my ZS some years back:

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,762 Posts
I bought a small tin of red grease off ebay about 5 years ago, services about 6 sets of brakes with it so far and its hardly used, I think its only a 50g tin too, only cost aout £2.50 posted, well worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts