MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When taking the front suspension apart is there a need to remove the pinch bolt completely or can I just loosen it off a few turns?

·
Registered
rover_600
128 Posts
Hi if it is the pinch bolt on the bracket at the bottom of the strut, it just needs backed off a few turns.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is a dri-lock bolt so you need to take it out so that you can fit a new one, or add a bit of Loctite if you are using the old one.

·
Registered
rover_600
128 Posts
It is a dri-lock bolt so you need to take it out so that you can fit a new one, or add a bit of Loctite if you are using the old one.
Ciggie is spot on right the bolts on all cars if you slacken them off should have thread lock applied when tightening them back up, if the nut is of the nylock type it should be replaced. A nylock nut is only a single use nut, and should always be replaced if undone. Any bolt that does not have nylock nut on it should always assembled with the correct thread seal.
There are a wide range of thread seal liquids. For our cars you will get away with blue, red and green. I can’t remember the locktight numbers old age I used to carry around 100+ type and application conditions in my head back in my aero days. I remember writing an article for the Team McLearn magazine back in the early nineties. Detailing the 76 different types of Locktight thread seal used on a F1 car and where and why the specific seal was used. I could not attempt to do that now. Old age is great. Goodness in the eighties I had over 100 phone numbers in my head. Today I have a mobile phone that will store everybody on planet earths phone number along with their personal details.
Got a letter from Virgin mobile re my car phone offering me more data and stuff for five pounds a month. I had to ring them and point out that my Nokia 6310 did not use data and my free texts and free use to land lines and other virgin mobiles was more than enough.
Just remember to apply thread seal to any nut you are fitting whither new or an old one reused. And where possible use a torque wrench.

·
Registered
R75 Diesel.
5,776 Posts
Ciggie is spot on right the bolts on all cars if you slacken them off should have thread lock applied when tightening them back up, if the nut is of the nylock type it should be replaced. A nylock nut is only a single use nut, and should always be replaced if undone. Any bolt that does not have nylock nut on it should always assembled with the correct thread seal.
There are a wide range of thread seal liquids. For our cars you will get away with blue, red and green. I can’t remember the locktight numbers old age I used to carry around 100+ type and application conditions in my head back in my aero days. I remember writing an article for the Team McLearn magazine back in the early nineties. Detailing the 76 different types of Locktight thread seal used on a F1 car and where and why the specific seal was used. I could not attempt to do that now. Old age is great. Goodness in the eighties I had over 100 phone numbers in my head. Today I have a mobile phone that will store everybody on planet earths phone number along with their personal details.
Got a letter from Virgin mobile re my car phone offering me more data and stuff for five pounds a month. I had to ring them and point out that my Nokia 6310 did not use data and my free texts and free use to land lines and other virgin mobiles was more than enough.
Just remember to apply thread seal to any nut you are fitting whither new or an old one reused. And where possible use a torque wrench.

RE:--The phone numbers.--You can lose your phone but you can't lose your head.---But if you do you won't need those numbers anyway.---Lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts