MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has starting problems in the morning which i now believe to be a weak fuel pump.

(Takes several cranks and runs roughly for a few seconds once started...plus, all the other usual causes have been checked)

I have read another topic and understand the tank needs to be lowered down in order to replace the pump but, realistically how hard a job is this?

i.e. is it something i can do on my own and within a few hours?

Or is it one of "those" jobs which will likely turn into a nightmare and best left to garage?

·
Registered
rover_25
124 Posts
Its not hard, drain as much fuel out as you can, check your fuel straps as they may need replacing, its a few bolts and drop it down, spray everything with wd40

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Assuming the tank is reasonably empty how heavy will it be when it lowers - its a jack job or will i be able to support it by hand?

Don't want to be turned into a pancake!

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
94 Posts
What I do when the pump still works, not a suggestion, unplug the fuel line from the filter, the bottom one, connect a pipe that can go in and stay tight, behind your ecu take out the black box with the relays, coonect the possitive pole of the battery and drain it in a can specially for fuel where you can keep it tight! I think it's the white purple colored one, Can't check Rave as my main disk are disconnected...

Take out the left back wheel don't use just the jack to keep the vehicle, take out the plastic cover, wear plastic glasses, too much dust will fall on your eyes, Keep in mind that the tank is not completely empty and fuel might still be in the hoses, if you need help with the hoses, post with a picture of your problem in a circle, use the jack to lower the tank gently, just let the bolts that hold the tank but not completely, they are hold on the base of the car and you can take them out if you push in and to the tank...

you need a 10 key for the bolts, be careful as you open the pump, don't brake the plastic that holds it, there are 3, use something thin but strong like a filler, again post if you have an issue!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts