MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a 2000 mk2 mgf and the fuse for the rear brake lights blew (fuse 16) I replaced the fuse with one of the same rating (15amp) but went out for a drive and the cab filled with smoke and the smell of burning , quickly turned of the engine and let everything cool down, the replaced fuse had been melted not blown but the plastic around it had been melted away, pulled the fuse and drove home without brake lights without any problem, pulled the fuses around, fuse 17 (radio) and 15 (air con) both 10 amp and tied again, same as before the outer casing of fuse 16 melted.
Does anyone have any idea what the hell is happening and an idea to fix it hopefully without replacing the fuse box?? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
12,271 Posts
First of all fuse should not have melted plastic around as that means fuse did not blow when it should. I suggest to use better vendor of fuses as the ones you used certanly are not good.

Second point to look is in the boot area as there you have possibility of wires which can become bare and touching car body or other bare wires. That would be my first thing to look.

·
In the Garage
mg_tf
32,804 Posts
Adding to Rovrlike’s reply, have you or someone else replaced the radio as it’s quite easy to trap wires between the radio and sharp edges behind the dashboard.

·
Registered
mgf
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adding to Rovrlike’s reply, have you or someone else replaced the radio as it’s quite easy to trap wires between the radio and sharp edges behind the dashboard.
The radio is the one that came with the car, it's not the original MGF but has been in the car for a good number of years and looks like it was professionally fitted as it is a "dab" stereo with an aerial on the window

·
Registered
mgf
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all fuse should not have melted plastic around as that means fuse did not blow when it should. I suggest to use better vendor of fuses as the ones you used certanly are not good.

Second point to look is in the boot area as there you have possibility of wires which can become bare and touching car body or other bare wires. That would be my first thing to look.
Will look out today for better fuses and let you know, would the boot wiring still affect the break lights even though the car doesn't have a brake light on the boot ? no 3rd brake light, this all happened the other day, my partner had taken the car and when she got back from work asked me to check the lights and fuse 16 had blown, we have had this car for nearly a year and not had any fuse problems before this, i recently replaced the starter motor and clutch master and slave cylinder could this have something to do with it? the bulbs in the brake lights have not blown as far as i can see,
thank you for your thoughts

·
Super Moderator
12,271 Posts
Hmmm, without third light boot wires might or might not be a problem. Worth to check wiring to tail lights. Do you have covers for tail lights in the boot, or you can see wires? If you can see wires, maybe something caught them.

Regarding taken work on your car, since working in the engine area, these wires do pass through engine space, so something might caught on them there as well, but this is guessing game...

·
Registered
mg_tf
195 Posts
Would be worth checking the wiring harness within the flexible section between the body and the boot lid. This can be an area of problems due to the opening and closing of the boot leading to wires breaking and touching one another or earth.

·
Registered
mgf
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Managed to get to Halfords and got better fuses, so now they blow rather than burn :rolleyes:, checked the wiring on the boot hinge and it looks like there was problems before as all the wires are soldered together but no break or rubbing, all the bulbs in the rear clusters work, partner climbed under the steering wheel (she's slimmer than me lol) to check the brake switch and thinks she found the problem, what do you think and how do i look at repairing it?

·
Super Moderator
12,271 Posts
What I see in the pictures are melted wires and plastic wrap around wires. That happened at time when you used fuses which did not blow but melted.
I do not think that wires are the original problem. Your original problem might be in the brake pedal switch. Wires damage came later.
My suggestion would be to change brake peadl switch, and separately isolate each wire that has melted isolation around. The best course of action would be to replace melted part of wire, but that depends how good are you with wires.
My warning is that with wires in that situation, you cannot be sure where wires melted further along the line, so best would be to completely replace wires from brake switch to the fusebox.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts