MG-Rover.org Forums banner

181 - 200 of 236 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
What a relief to jump on such an opportunity: as we are allowed to, we took the cabby and went at a farm to collect fruits & vegetables - better, tastier & cheaper than going to the supermarket (which is closer!). And the afternoon was so mild & shiny that I put up the hood on the way back!
A very bliss in so dark a period... :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
A nice picture in that dark world: the cabby waiting outside the main postal warehouse while I'm in to get my mudflaps! It took a good time to come from Lancashire but they're now home & hosed, and fitted at once in the afternoon (pictures of the job done will follow soon).

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Very much so.
The front ones are using the 3 bolts already in place: you've just to take off the narrow black plastic bit and replace it by the mudflap.
At the rear another bolt is already in place which is located in the low back of the wheel arch when you face it.
Regarding the 2 others, you need both bolts and a bent metal piece which Chris was lovely to provide me with. I don't know its name but It's a U shaped threaded item you may find to adjust the 75 protecting plaque to the front bumper. You have to stick it in the right location on the edge of the bumper then drill both holes to finally screw your mudflap definitely. Easy job but for my poor backbone which doesn't appreciate very much my postures!
BTW I took off the security bolts on every wheel. I keep them and the key for the story in the spare wheel pit inside a small bubble plastic bag to avoid any noise, but it will be definitely easier to take off the wheel in case of a deflated tyre during a journey. I don't imagine anybody robbing my alloys now given especially as I very seldom accept to park my cab & V6 on the public roads.
I hope my explanation without any pic will not look too confuse... ;)
Now all my 3 Rovers are fitted with mudflaps. Not the taste of everybody I know but mine which is good enough! :LOL:
And I assume that the 200 mk1 & 2 front ones are not the easiest part to find out because of their unique profile.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Well as I assume we shall still be trapped under lockdown for a while, I'm speeding... slowly, as the old Romans used to say: 'festina lente'...
But as your wish is my command... here they are:

Reactions: gnu

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Thank you for that.
And bonus...

I bought that badge a few years ago. But never ever I'd heard of that Rover Owners Association... :unsure:
Result: now I need another one to balance it! ;)

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #189 (Edited)
As everybody knows lots of us have plenty of spare time these days, I've decided to fit an armrest in my cabby.
Well the one I've got at the moment isn't exactly the one I was aiming for: black box & light grey leather lid when I need a lightstone beige one to match with my whole cabin.
That doesn't matter & will keep me busy.
First I had two niggles to fix:
  • the lid locking bit was missing as it appears on the pics below
  • one of the 4 ground fixing holes was damaged.

I've just had a bit of rummage among all my bits & bobs and hey presto I've got all was needed.
Hence I've done a very careful & precise repair and I assume that the new locking bit is even better than the genuine one!
Tested it works a treat. It was easy to know what to aim for because I've got another similar armrest in the daily 25.

Same logic with the ground fixing bit. Here is the repair:

And for kill-joys it's not intended to be admired - even not to be seen! - but the purpose was it will be strong & convenient and that's it!
I've even painted in black both brass items.

Now I'm dyeing the leather lid.
And the next step will be to spray the black box with a very close colour intended to match with the interior, seats & dash.
Here is what I've found:
TRG Super Color Spray Cuir, Vinyle et Toile Teinture (#354 Beige clair/25-150 ml
I've ordered 4 cans because I intend to dye the hood cover as well, that beige colour looking as non obtainium...
I'll a try before on another bit of vinyl to be sure.
If the carrier arrives in time I'll receive it in the beginning of next week.
I'll keep you posted as usual.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Before:

Then I treated the lid:
  • 2 cleansing with Gliptone GT12 intensive cleaner
  • 3 layers of sandstone beige dye
  • 2 coatings of satin leather lacquer
  • 1 polish with Gliptone GT11 leather conditioner

BTW both pictures look showing a similar colour: it's very deceptive because the original one was 'dirt' grey (!) and the final one is actually sandstone beige which doesn't look very obvious...

Now the box: first of all 2 layers of primer to take off all that black and make easier to apply the light beige layers to come. I'd already a brand new primer spray on a shelf just in case. The whole can was used.

Reactions: gnu

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
I think I've found out - at last - a beige hood cover on a French FB group. :D
But the seller hasn't got it up his sleeve and cannot collect it as long as the lock down is effective.
Nevertheless as they say don't count your chickens before they're hatched... ;)
Hence I hope the spray's I'm to receive tomorrow will be only used to paint the armrest.
I'd ordered indeed 4 cans in the thought I would have enough to paint the armrest and the hood cover as well but given I've emptied the 400ml primer can for 2 layers on the armrest only and my 4 light beige cans make only 600ml (150 ml x 4), I think I'd been very optimistic!
I don't like to remain idle for so long a time but in the case I could get a genuine light beige armrest I was very generously offered as a holy grail ;), I might have a nice - hope so - DIY beige armrest to offer to somebody else in need. I'm not anxious since beige armrests look as rare as hens teeth! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
@gnu here is an overview of the mudflaps. View taken today in the afternoon coming back from our vegetables & fruits producers.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #193 (Edited)
Armrest: job done.
I know what you're going to say: there's a visible discrepancy between the dash & the armrest colour.
TBH it's only obvious when you have a close look on the edge between the armrest itself & the lower dash.
Located between both seats it's nearly marching their shade.
The leather lid looks comparatively just a tad less light but very close to the seats colour as well.
Not at all perfect but I can live content with that... at the moment.

Hinges are looking to need a slight touching up.

It's something that now can be called 'cabby chic'... (sorry, pun intended!) :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #195 (Edited)
Thank you for that.
By the by the armrest fixing wasn't so plain sailing, because instead of two bolts at the back allowing to stick the box to the floor, on my cabby there was only one central bolt holding in place a kind of U shaped bridge piece (sorry to look clumsy but I'm not used to all the technical words). And taking off the bolt is nearly of no use because that bridge is welded with the device maintaining the hand brake cables. Hence the trick is to slightly ease the bolt, maintain the box on the floor then slide it forward to engage the rear and the front toward the dash at the same time.
Besides the armrest being far higher than the original lower 'base', I was mainly focused on the brake lever passing through which wasn't that easy because I was trying as well not to damage my new light beige paint, fearing to let appear the black colour at the slightest scratch... :eek:

But I discovered the trick a bit too late, stubbornly wanting to do the job at the rear exactly as I've done it in the 25 a few years ago. Hence I tried and succeeded to cut the U shaped bridge piece from the main part, then unbolting and bolting back entirely the rear part, which was a very pita job because the now freed piece was continuously trying to escape from its position when I was turning the bolt with the spanner and my big paw, being unable to see at the same time what I was doing so tight is the place! It was a very relief when I saw the end of it! Phew! :)

I guess my armrest might have been taken from a 200 mk3 (or even a 25 mk1) hence the difference in design. But I didn't know the origin and the difference before I was confronted at once to the problem, taking off the genuine lower 'base'.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,641 Posts
None of Rover 200 mk3 or 25 ever had armrest. Only armrest that existed are from Cabby, Coupe and some of 200/400 series of high specification. That U shaped part is something onto this armrest bolts, and should be transfered from any R8 to 200 mk3 or 25 if you want to bolt it properly. The U shape that exist for handbrake cables on 200 mk3 and 25 needs to be replaced with larger U shaped part from R8. Also if you put armrest onto 200 mk3 or 25, you need to trim front part as it is too long to be able to comeujnder existing plastic where window switches are. If armrest was trimmed before, the you do not need to do it again.

This is the U part I am talking about:

20200424_181851.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Thank you for your explanations @Roverlike. (y)

When I bought my armrest for my 2002 25 in 2015 a few months after my purchase , I was told it was coming from a 1994 Coupé.
What puzzles me is that I do not remember having any problem fitting the armrest which suited perfectly the 25 (bolts included). So I assume following your explanation that it might have been trimmed beforehand.

My present U shaped part in the cabby is very similar to the one on your picture but the hole for the bolt which is bang in the middle of the U without any hole at the extremities, and as I said it was welded to a bigger piece.
However the armrest in the cabby is now tightly bolted front & back I ensure you: not a jot of move!

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Today I've updated the so tired 26 years old genuine boot struts that when I took off the first one the lid began to fall down at once! :eek:
Swapped for brand new Magneti Marelli GS 1038 coming from Riga, Latvia (!):

Like in the 75 that makes a massive difference! :)

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Lockdown being what it is, on Thursday my cabby chic was very keen to get a good under bonnet aesthetic improvement.
Hence I did it thanks to my bottle of Turtle Wax black in a flash on every black bit - large or tiny: head cover, air box, fuse box & the like, including every reachable hose or cable.

Unbeatable & noticeable: it looks now like an uprated engine bay! :cool:
Picture may follow provided I can take the car out of the garage...
N.B. I did the same in my 75 engine bay and very soon in the 25.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
181 - 200 of 236 Posts