MG-Rover.org Forums banner

221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Nice collection. Well that’s my French homework for the evening. Lots about the security systems in the brochure! Does your’s have the ABS option?
You may help yourself with the same brochure in English in front of you if any! :D
No thanks to God my nippy cabby hasn't the ABS option: the advantage with an older car is that you cannot be harassed by all those modern failures!
Neither she's got the airbag...

Now I just need that special leaflet about the 214 limited edition - which is mine - Rover did sell in the past once a year to boost the sales in 1994 for sure and 1995 as well I assume, with the same high finish level as the upper range 216 (among them: electric hood, electric front windows, full cream leather interior and alloys, minus the mirrors which weren't electric like in the 216).
I've seen a 1995 recto verso leaflet - 2 pages! - in English on the fleabay at an appallingly pricey offer:
Rover 200-Series Cabriolet 1.4 1995 UK Market Single Sheet Sales Brochure

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Soon on my cabby at last a beige hood cover which will easily help me forgetting that bad looking grey-ish one I was given last September. It looks in pretty fair condition and hardly used. I've just received this picture from my French seller : at 25€ (£22) plus shipping it's nearly a steal don't you think so?

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #223 (Edited)
We've just been part of a rally in the Montagne Noire (Black Mountain) in the South of the Tarn departement with the 214 cabby far much at ease in those twisty & winding country roads than the stately V6.

I'm very impressed - say stunned even amazed - by her responsiveness and oomph uphill and in corners and both together provided you may keep her above 2.5k revs just going down into gears when required as usual. 3k revs looks enough to drive a very vivid & self-willing engine. I pushed her to the limits followed throughout a fair distance by a few brisk big motorbikes: whereafter their owners told me they were rather impressed by the cabby... and my drive BTW... :p I bet the engine runs better now than when she got out of the plant mainly thanks to ethanol (105 octane grade) and a few mods in the air box (K&N panel & some more holes in the low box to help the engine breathe a little better). Given the positive remarks I received I assume it's not a placebo effect...

When I went to the pump at the end of the day here was the result with a heavy foot all along the journey: 8.07L / 100km that makes 35 mpg with full E85 or with unleaded RON 95 20% more i.e. around 42 mpg. Not that bad...
BTW we won two prizes: one for the most distant equipage (no merit at all TBH) and another because we got the highest score in the quiz we were given with the road book... Don't ask me how we achieved that... :unsure:
Well here is the heroine with her new beige hood cover which suits her far better than that dull grey-ish one...

2020-06-14 20.40.38.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Thank you @gnu .
On another matter - tyres - so far I'd been faithful to Goodyear (75) and Dunlop (25) but regarding the specific size of the cabby (and 25 as well, they are exactly the same) i.e. 185 x 55 x 15 82 V, I've just found out another very good reference which looks as good as Dunlop but far cheaper:
NEXEN N'Blue HD Plus - economy: C but handling: A and noise: 67db - same performances but 50€ (£45.50) instead of 78€ (£71) (Dunlop). The rubber looks a little softer hence lasting a bit less but a little more comfortable on the other hand which could be a good point for a cabby frequently shaken on uneven roads...
I'm thinking of fitting them on the cabby when needed but not before next year at earliest.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
As I'm a bit fed up lugging around from one garage to the other my good 5 years old Noco Genius charger, I've decided to dig in my pockets up to the princely sum of 25.99€ (£23.33) (free shipping - bargain!) for that new digital one from Amazon France:

Automatic Smart Battery Charger/Maintainer 12V/8A 24V/4A Pulse Repair Charger with LCD Display

Hence the Noco will remain in the smaller garage with the cab (and the 25 outside under the shelter) when the new one will be kept to feed the 75 in the larger garage - or the other way round - when they are not gone out.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Every little helps as one says... (have a look on the Last Admiral - 75 - thread as well).

In my cabby a more recent radio than the genuine Rover one had been fitted by a previous owner: a good Alpine CDE-180 series but without any Bluetooth transmission.
So here is the winner I've just found on the flea bay:

Just the right size because on my Alpine radio it doesn't prevent the introduction of the USB stick which is located just above the AUX connection.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #228 (Edited)
I've just got on Ebay a rather decent red emergency roof and bag. Not too dear: £45 + shipping.
First idea: protecting the hood from the dust in the garage.
BTW I don't know exactly how it was intended to be useful but would anybody tell me more, I'd be very grateful. Thanks. :giggle:
I think now it would have been nice to have it when I bought the cabby, because of the seriously distressed hood - full of holes - and the rain that was dripping inside. :eek: ;)
I'd hear of it long since but I thought it was a definite non obtainium...
Always happy to get some genuine goodies or accessories for my Rovers. 🤗
I feel it could give my cabby a slight old smell of authenticity like in the good old days. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
In that world of brutes & amidst all those ghastly tidings, at last some good news:
Xmas arrived early this year!

Thanks to a generous donator - very well known here whose name begins with the name of our favourite brand and ends with a deliberate way of choice - who send it freely to me , I've got the Holy Grail to put into the cabby: an armrest to match with my sandstone leather interior and mainly with the colour of the dash.

Before, my light paint (on a genuine grey-ish armrest) was matching fine with the leather - even being a tad too pale - but not at all with the dash:

Now the armrest is nicely matching the plastic trim, so no longer any discrepancy on the join. Don't be put off by the olive-greenish shade (better to look at the armrest side), my garage isn't too brightly lit (understatement!):

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Thank you old chum! You'll ever be very welcome at home when the times are better...

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Very generous of him - I’ll work out who later.

Looks good fitted. (y)

Interestingly my iPad mistook pic 3 for something rude and filtered it out...

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Very generous of him - I’ll work out who later.

Looks good fitted. (y)

Interestingly my iPad mistook pic 3 for something rude and filtered it out...
I bet you know him very well ! He is in an upper position within the forum. Think about my clues...
Regarding your second remark I'm to say that my own browser played the same silly game : I guess a picture analyzer was mistaken by the red bits of the belt locker...

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I bet you know him very well ! He is in an upper position within the forum. Think about my clues...
Regarding your second remark I'm to say that my own browser played the same silly game : I guess a picture analyzer was mistaken by the red bits of the belt locker...
Yeah, got it. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #233

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
A lovely trip today at a vineyard - once more... :giggle: - some 50km (33 mls) far from home.
But that special vineyard has got some loose & wacky connection with our favourite motors! ;):D
Have a look on these two examples below:

As you can see, those are "K" wines! :LOL:
But the owner loves making puns and the name of the former which reads 'K-pot' may be read 'capot' which in French means... bonnet!!! Actually the pun wasn't done to have any connection with our cars, it means 'pot' that is to say 'jar' as in the song 'whisky in the jar' (I'm a great lover of British country music & barn dances)!!! :ROFLMAO:
The latter is doing another pun 'K-or' meaning 'K-gold' but 'Cahors' as well (same spelling), because those wines are Cahors wines which are great ones, probably hardly known in the British isles! But they're worth to be tasted... and not to be sniffed at IMHO... :p

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
BTW she has done 35.6 mpg (7.9 L/100 km) with full E85 in 10 fuel ups, that gives the equivalent in standard petrol here (95E10) of around 42.8 mpg (6.6 L/100 km) which isn't to be sniffed at, especially that it smells far better than petrol (not to speak about diesel...!). :LOL:
That is 4.70 € for 100 km (£6.80 for 100 mls) which is money-saving and rather eco-friendly.

221 - 236 of 236 Posts