MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 150 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,373 Posts
Actualy it belongs into R8 section. You can start there and it is easy to relocate it to another section if proven to be misplaced and not seen ... I will relocate it.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Reluctant bolt problem kindly sorted by my seller who borrowed the magic key from his local garage. Well done him.
He sent me 2 messages at the end of the morning.
Good man!

Now crossing fingers & the like that the new key, security bolt (the one that was stuck in being to be swopped just in case) & the 4 standard one arrive tomorrow by mail.

Now prevention being better than cure, just in case one or more of the 3 hood patches give up too quickly with the speed and because - as done for purpose - the weather forecast is rather gloomy & rain predicted when going up to North - I asked my better half to add 2 terry towels in the suitcase... I'm not that keen to travel in a tub! :haha:
D-1!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Best of luck for your collection journey, tomorrow ?

I haven't seen a "cabbie" on UK roads for a very long time; the last one I saw was ~6 yrs ago...

... in a scrap yard :frown:

Interior & exterior, incl hood, looked in good condition (considering the location); guess it must've had rust or a blown engine to be scrapped.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Best of luck for your collection journey, tomorrow ?

I haven't seen a "cabbie" on UK roads for a very long time; the last one I saw was ~6 yrs ago...
... in a scrap yard :frown:

Interior & exterior, incl hood, looked in good condition (considering the location); guess it must've had rust or a blown engine to be scrapped.

Thank you @Pinkie15.
Yes a lovely journey back with the cab apart the expected rain which was not that nice given the hood condition!
But as you may guess I'm very busy now.
I'll report a bit later.
Suspense...

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Our journey back was like a dream.

The engine looked astonishingly responsive.
I've got a 25 (103 bhp) with the same 1.4 K engine. I'd had a 214Gsi (90 bhp only for it was a 1991 mk1 model) during 17 years, but this 214i drives better than my 25 before the remap.
She swallowed even easily the sensible uphills on the motorway.
Just a very soft touch on the pedal and up she goes.

I should say now she drove better because she doesn't want to start now, even yesterday after a while when the engine was still warm nor today when colder.
The starter is doing the job but it looks that the petrol doesn't reach the plugs.
I swapped the fuel filter: it was scheduled on the planning.
But to no avail.
There was fuel inside the old filter but obviously no need to depressurize for there was very little pression or none.
Despite my attempts no much fuel smell under the bonnet.

Moreover when I put the key on the 2nd position just before trying to start, there was a kind of endless high pitch noise instead of the usual short one of the pump.
I put my bet on the fuel pump: maybe its hard work yesterday (after a test exam finally I drove at a brisky pace!) gave it a kind of 'heart failure' after one year and a half of quiet rest (or nearly) in a garage. Maybe it was as old as the car...

Some days are good days...
Finally we were lucky to be back after 3 stops: 2 to fuel up and one at a kind of Irish pub in the middle of nowhere in the region Limousin. Tasty meal and... unsurprisingly a great Irish coffee!

Hence I'm now to ask the help of my good mechanic to get me out of my misery on Monday if he finds enough time, and if not later in the week.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Bad luck mate in finding a problem so quickly. Hopefully it’s easily resolved next week so you can get on with doing the hood etc.
I smell that cabby may become a money pit... but I love it! :mg_chic:

In my misery I think I was lucky. Why?

Looking for the petrol pump, I saw at Rimmers that the item WFX100271P was unavailable up to the 5th of November next. All the same 128,93€ plus postage...
Then looking at one of my French providers I saw an entirely compatible device (Austin WFX10027*) Airtex E10244 (pressure 4.3 bars) at 75.62€ plus postage.
In the end looking on the fly bay I saw the same Airtex E10244 at a well famed seller's (100% happy!) located in France not so far from home at 31.63€ free postage if sent at a relay shop 4 km far from home! And it was his last one!
I can say the search wasn't a waste of time!

BTW I had the idea of changing the plugs for Bosch 4 electrodes.
But I noticed that the leads (probably 25 years old!) were in very poor condition (it works or worked but plastic broken here and there so much so I can't take off the 4th one! I can't grasp it at the moment), hence I ordered a new (old) set as well NGC000261EVA from France (rather close as well) for 39€. Last one as well!
And for the plugs I shall be committed to buy a new key because it's deeper than in my 25.

In the end it looks that more jobbies are to be done & lots of stuff need a replacement...
The money pit... I'll be to dig deep in my pocket as well...! :wink:
But never mind: 'Gaby the cabby' will become a beauty! I swear it! :grin:
'Gaby' = 'GB', got it? And BTW the affectionate nickname of my grandma DAVIS whose name was Gabrielle... Lovely memory...

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Finding extra jobs is normal when you get a new (old) car. Sounds like it’s progressing and you’re happy with it.
I quite agree. Never ever I'd bought a new used car without getting all clear & at least doing services I've no information about.

Progressing... maybe but in the weeks, months even year to come.
I think at the moment I can't be more distant from a rewarding result.
I can't do anything about several impending & blocking problems but ordering bits and pieces needed, thinking and waiting.

But let's be brave & positive: things being so bad they can't do anything else than improve! :rofl:
Thus my - relative - happiness... dreaming of a brighter future... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
All done by spring 2020?
It needs to be indeed!
Don't want to be frustrated next spring with my cabby in pieces or still stuck in the garage.

Initially a majority of gremlins should have been nearly cleared in a month, provided the fuel pump was still working. It would have been a performance! But all my hopes were ruined by that silly pump...

On the to do list:

Engine: lots of services but oil & filter done by the seller, i.e. belts & water pump, coolant, brake fluid, spark plugs & leads (I hope I will be able to do that jobby in the beginning of the week, provided I can get rid of that 4th lead - I'll receive the leads next Tuesday or Wednesday), pollen filter (I'll try to swap it myself), air filter (already done by my goodself), fuel filter (already done by my goodself)

Body: the rear right aisle put right & repainted. Maybe the lower part of the driver's door & rear bumper. I have already swapped a chrome rod on the left part of the front bumper and replaced a missing Rover cap on the rear left alloy wheel. But the passenger door trim needs to be stripped off to reconnect the locking rod: the locking motor works (I hear it) but the door doesn't lock or unlock with the fob (only by hand).

Hood: swapped for the mohair one. That's a big job and I hope the saddler will be happy enough with the nearly new hood and the new interliner bought from BAS International by my seller. I've got an appointment for the 17th of October but I fear it will be postponed given the circumstances.

I'm ready to get it right as quick as possible, because I'm pretty sure several hidden problems will keep me busy along winter as with my 75.

But unfortunately it doesn't depend on me only.
I'm waiting for the fuel pump at the end of the week, friday or before if I'm lucky.

But it's a dream to drive, brisk & smooth, all the interior is neat & clean with its original Rover stamped rubber mats, and I've got nearly all the history of the car since new, with lots of bills, service leaflets & owner's book in the genuine plastic holster with both genuine working keys & fobs, with reference number. It has all the authenticity.
Only the radio is not stock and replaced by a very good Alpine CDE181RR, with CD reader, digital display, RDS & usb plug on the front.
And I've got the genuine hood cover as well in very decent condition.

It will be a fantastic cabriolet... later on - fingers crossed! :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Good man!

A light in the dark!

My good mechanic has just made a call to answer to my Saturday sms.
He has immediately understood the situation and is keen to come home as soon as I get the new pump to get it sorted and allow the car to start up.
He had suspected the immobilizer in the first place but it can't be: lights on the dash & starter are working fine. If it were the immobilizer (I'd the trick because the seller had omitted to synchronize the fobs after connecting back the battery), I should have neither lights nor working starter.
I spoke about the leads as well: he told me they need to be replaced from time to time (I don't remember how many km he gave me.
I'm glad at least to have ordered & done all that was needed.
My mechanic is hoping he may gain access to the pump from the rear seat but I fear taking off the tank (and emptying it!) will be needed... :(

Now I'm hoping my pump & leads sellers will quickly send the stuff. I've sent each of them a kind message asking them to do their best.

Good man! :URGOD:
Mind you that with 3 Rovers I'm a good & regular customer as well! :lol:
And that thanks to me he will become very soon a very fine Rover specialized mechanic! :haha:

·
Super Moderator
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,373 Posts
I am not too worried about your non-starter at the moment. You always have to get back to basics: air, fuel, spark are three items needed for engine to run. Most probably you found out that fuel presure (e.g. pump) is the problem.

Unfortunately, you are correct. In case of Cabby is the same as for Rover 25, in order to get to the fuel pump, you need to lower the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Something's odd in my 216i identification.
On the day of purchase at Boursault garage in Paris, in the book and on the code card, the id number is: SAXXWMBHNBD016011, but everywhere else in the car (pillar, windscreen (changed once) and under the bonnet, the last figures are 016010, as on my owner's card ('carte grise' as we say in France).
However my car is actually stamped 'garage Boursault' at the rear of the boot, which seems to prove it should be the same provenance and the same car.
I smell a change of Rover engine: the fact is I was puzzled by the brisk pace of it uphill and on motorway. Moreover the picture of the engine under the bonnet and the one given my Haynes guide (and it's neither a carburettor one nor a 8v) for my 16v are not exactly matching, mainly regarding the metal throttle body (with metal inlet manifold) and everything close by, including sensors, which are sensibly different.
What could have been done in the beginning of its life say between 1994 & 2000? I've nothing suggesting any engine change after that within the bills. Just an intervention on the cylinder head taken out & back and a reinforced gasket kit in 2005: probably the bl..dy HGF...
Have a look on the second line: am I wrong when I guess that it may suggest that the car was built in 19(93), even if it was sold the year after?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,373 Posts
What VIN number you have in your car papers for the MoT in France? VIN number in those papers must the same as on the car.

Regarding mix-up on the VIN numbers from the dealers and the one on the car, this is not the first time I see this happen.
If I am reading correct you are only one number further as dealer says?

I would not think that you have any engine chnage or similar. I would think that is just mixup from the dealer or Rover with info provided with the car. But as I said you need to look in the MoT papers for correctness in compare to what is written on the car. In case of MoT in Croatia, if VIN number in papers and on the car is not the same, that means something is fishy and car might be stolen.

Further I looked again at your picture of the engine, and this pre-95 car, so it is expected to see diferences to your Rover 25.

However, when I looked at your engine picture again, I saw that cover for the HT leads is bent outward. Why is that? Is there maybe your problem of non-starter? Maybe HT leads are not sitting flush and maybe there is some issue with connection or HT leads themselves have break?

·
Super Moderator
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,373 Posts
Have a look on the second line: am I wrong when I guess that it may suggest that the car was built in 19(93), even if it was sold the year after?

On the VIN plate everything upper from the VIN number should be E.C.C. Approval Number or whatever it was called back then.

There were Rover Group Chasis VIN plates from '88-'99 and new ones. You have old type one.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
What VIN number you have in your car papers for the MoT in France? VIN number in those papers must the same as on the car.

Regarding mix-up on the VIN numbers from the dealers and the one on the car, this is not the first time I see this happen.
If I am reading correct you are only one number further as dealer says?

I would not think that you have any engine chnage or similar. I would think that is just mixup from the dealer or Rover with info provided with the car. But as I said you need to look in the MoT papers for correctness in compare to what is written on the car. In case of MoT in Croatia, if VIN number in papers and on the car is not the same, that means something is fishy and car might be stolen.

Further I looked again at your picture of the engine, and this pre-95 car, so it is expected to see differences to your Rover 25.

However, when I looked at your engine picture again, I saw that cover for the HT leads is bent outward. Why is that? Is there maybe your problem of non-starter? Maybe HT leads are not sitting flush and maybe there is some issue with connection or HT leads themselves have break?
Regarding the VIN mismatch you may be right but the "11" figures had been written on several times in the beginning. After that the "10" prevails, including in the MOT.
Moreover in the official information you can get online, one source tells a rather puzzling formula 'Nous avons relevé une séquence atypique sur ce véhicule, il est possible qu'il y ait eu un problème', we have found out an atypical sequence (can't say exactly what does that mean...), a problem may have occurred.
But why the picture of my engine isn't exactly the same as a standard 16v mpi as described in Haynes guide?

The lead cover isn't bent at all, but perfectly plain. How could I have made more than 500 km without any problem or misfire?
It's only the label which is slightly bent which is of no consequence. Even bent the cover wouldn't have prevented sparking plugs to work, even if the leads look pretty tired and the fourth one has its head nearly broken. All 4 cylinders were working fine. Impossible to drive so fast up to 140 km/h (don't tell the cops!) with 3 cylinders only.

The fact is there was no pressure in the fuel filter when I took it off and absolutely no smell of petrol even when I try to start up 3 or 4 times in a row.
The petrol isn't likely coming at all up to the injectors.
Then what could be the culprit but the fuel pump, given the fuel filter is brand new?
And not the faintest leak under the car.

I hope I'll know the truth tomorrow... and the cure of it as well...

·
Super Moderator
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,373 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Regarding picture of engine in Haynes manual, to which manual you refere? What is written on the cover of that manual (what car)?
The Haynes manual I'm referring to is the red one #1689, devoted to "214 Oct 1989 to Mar 1996 (G to N registration) Petrol & 414 Mar 1990 to 1995 (G to N registration) Petrol" as it reads on the cover, and inside on the first page "Models covered / Rover 214 & 414 models fitted with eight or sixteen valve 1397 cc 'K-series' engine / Covers major mechanical features of Cabriolet / Does not cover Diesel engine models".

That looks pretty accurate to my case, my 214i being a cabriolet 16v sold in 1994 & maybe built in 1993.

Moreover the fourth chapter is divided in three parts:
A - carburettor engines (BTW I didn't know there were K series carburettor issued...)
B - Single-point fuel injection engines
C - Multi-point fuel injection engines (my case)

Among the explanations it reads that there may be either alloy inlet manifold (my case) or plastic inlet manifold.

For example one of my concerns is I can't see the IAT sensor exactly where it is figured.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
On second thought it looks that my engine is stock.
My problem with Haynes pictures is they are in B&W and taken from so close a position that I can't often figure out where exactly it is.
I think I've found my IAT sensor but it's far deeper than it looks on a 2D picture. And I've found the coolant sensor as well which could be of great interest to adapt the same starter button with a tiny resistor in order to easily start up with E85 (ethanol) on a chilly morning.
I just join a better - I hope - picture of the under bonnet.
You may notice that oddly the injection isn't at all in parallel with the cylinder head (which isn't the case in a 25 for example - I don't recall about my old 214Gsi) and that the air box isn't absolutely vertical as well.
It looks odd or it's me who is too much 'geometrically' minded?!

BTW I've received my fuel pump at noon.
But my mechanic was very busy today and will come tomorrow morning to take the car in charge & drive it to the garage.
I hope it will be the pump. Otherwise I'll may be in great trouble...

Attachments

21 - 40 of 150 Posts