MG-Rover.org Forums banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Isn't your passenger compartment fusebox the same as in your Rover 25?
Also what happened with your post including gearbox and clutch you posted this morning?
About the passenger fusebox I don't know TBH: I haven't the time and leisure to go out in that chilly and damp weather. I've caught a cold a few days ago and I feel rather sick with the sinusitis & bronchitis that uses to follow. I'm waiting that my good antibody is gaining the upper hand! That's my method and that's working rather well would you be patient.
But I don't understand a jot in your second sentence: what do you mean? But do be pitiful: in such a condition, my brains are feeling a bit loose! o_O ;)

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Body work looks good.
Thank you. :)
However some minor scratches are remaining. I'll have a go with my G4 Farecla scratch remover. Probably they'll not disappear but I hope they'll fade enough to become barely noticeable. Just a few smallish touches of colour on the front left wing and that'll do (for me at least!). ;)

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
While beginning improving the look of the body (primer then touches of BRG on the front left wing), I upgraded (at least I think so... ;) even some are allowed to disagree 🤗) inside & outside.
I let you guessing what has changed (2 mods - help yourself with previous pictures - easy!):

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Well I've stolen a part of my mechanic's job: unlike the 75, I decided to take the plunge and install myself my special E85 (ethanol) starter.
The device was ready to go but I'd to screw the button on a good spot on the left of the wheel, pass through the bulkhead after the console (the saving grommet being on the other side (LHD passenger's one, i.e. on the right) and adapt the wires on my 214 cabby ECT sensor. Unfortunately it was trickier than expected because on a plug the 2 wires were inverted hence shortcut & no firing at all! But all is well that ends well now.
Do you see it on the small blank panel (aimed to host the electric mirrors switch I guess)?

And BTW I decided to update the dirt grey rear bumper and its chrome rod crippled with rust. Not a spectacular change on the picture (but enlarging the old and the new one is helpful to spot the difference) but a very real one in reality. I used the Turtle Wax black in a flash for the plastic bumper and Spectrum siver mat heat resistant spray on the rod.

And I'm still far from the end... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
Gaby is at the mechanic's at the moment till nearly the end of the week:
  • swapping of the gearbox
  • change of seal
  • swapping of the clutch (last change: 2012)
  • swapping of the passenger's door locking motor
  • inspection of the cabin light: switching on from the passenger's door but not from the driver's
  • inspection of the boot light (no boot light... plug disconnected!!!)
I think you may think I'm a lazy chap: the latter job looks so easy because you've only to take off 2 bolts...
Very much so but I remember being stuck several years ago with my 214Gsi because I'd forgotten the keys inside the boot hence unable to open the still locked car!
Don't want to forget to do something (not putting back the locking rod for example) and being stuck one more time... Mainly because now the back seats are not intended to move...
Would anything wrong happening, it would be the mechanic's burden... :p

BTW just before driving the car at the mechanic's yesterday afternoon, as announced I've drilled 4 holes at the bottom of the air box to let more air going inside and eventually more tepid or warm one (just above the gearbox). Good when fuelled with E85.

The best for the end: the external temperature being barely around 5°C, thanks to my new manual starter the firing up happened at once (with E64 in the tank). What a bliss! :D

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Finally my cabby is back from the mechanic's.
Gearboxes have been swapped but not that easy and for a reason that wasn't predicable.
If fitted as it was, the gearbox arm wasn't able to move freely up to the max.
I assume that the 216 Honda engine has some slight differences and that the marks may not have been the same.
Hence my good man has to make a suitable bracket to adjust the gearbox & fully ease the arm rotation.
Moreover bolts hadn't the same thread thus he had to tap the holes.
But now the gearbox works fine: from now on the cabby is a very delight to drive without any rattle.

Besides it was the same tune for the other points to cure:

- the locking motor was compatible indeed, I may rather say adaptable: one of the plugs wasn't exactly at the same place hence there wasn't enough room for it and the good man has to change slightly the position & add a length of wires. He swapped as well the broken clips with a few good ones from my mate's 418.

- in the driver's door the contacts were completely corroded so that the inside light couldn't switch on. Carefully cleaned and greased.

- in the boot... 5 out of 6 wires were broken between the body & the lid. Often seen but I scratch my head to know what was the use of the broken wires if everything else but the boot light was working well. Methinks the man who did the MOT last August may have been one eyed! :ROFLMAO:

And I kept the better for the end: my good mechanic who never miss anything twice praised me for the work I'd done on the E85 starter fitting. He added that he didn't like that much when his clients were poking around & tampering under the bonnet (it was very funny because saying that he was intensely & intentionally looking at another client owner of the BMW he was working on - I assume that he knew well the man and that the latter was easily accepting jokes & criticism), but regarding myself he told us that from now on he had no longer any concern!
I came back home driving on air! 🤭;)

Well I'm now ready for the Sunday rally... I wish I'll be able to make nice pictures of the vintage cars but the weather forecast isn't that nice...

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Regarding the engine my 'new' gearbox is coming from, I apologize: being a 1997 mk3 216 cab, it was a K engine, no longer a Honda one.
So I haven't any clue to explain why it wasn't a direct fit.

Besides I've painted my 'new' mirror caps in BRG like the body. Better. all is now same spec as 216.
I've spent a large part of the day polishing the cabby with G3 Farecla, then waxing with Fusso coat.
Except some remaining slight scratches - age wrinkles like humans ;) - the cabby can't be nicer.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Weather's awful today. Tomorrow you've my word ! :D

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
New wine tasting day!
Gaby the cabby fired up at once in the early morning with 5°C & moisture outside thanks to the magic button.
Weather better than worse, not rainy but scarcely sunny.
NIce rally and nice meal.

Six British cars out of nearly 50 took part: Morris Minor Traveler, MGA, Jaguar coupé, Triumph, Mini (a real one) & Rover. More than 10%: not too bad. Lots of French ones indeed (one superb Citroën 'traction avant' 15cv with chrome everywhere) and German galore as well.

Missus consulting the easy road book...

Have you seen the mirrors?

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I've just received my Momo steering wheel:

I'd got as well the adapter kit:

But it'll be for later.
In the meantime I've to built a tunnel shelter from a kit for my Rover 25, because the cabby has taken her place in the smaller garage (the bigger one hosting the 75, numerous shelves & the Husqvarna lawnmower).
And today was devoted to the sacred family tradition: I've made my own Xmas luxury (!) pudding as usual, maybe a bit late because it should have been done on Stir-up Sunday... But I assume it will be gorgeous nevertheless! :p:D

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
My good 25 being ousted from her garage (smaller one, bigger one hosting my 75) by Gabby the cabby, here is what I've found to protect her from frost, rain, snow, leaves & pine needles:

Not too expensive - £400 postage included, and apparently far stronger than Chinese crap that can be found everywhere, and 100% made in France in Perigord, very well known by British tourists.
I've just received the packages yesterday: now it's urgent to do the job, it was freezing on today morning...

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
You treat your cars! Mine live outside as the garage is for bikes and a workshop. Will that tunnel survive winter storms?
I try to keep them as clean and neat as possible hence the most precious ones are garaged.
The tunnel looks very strong but I don't know whether it survives storms or not.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Day 1 (yesterday).
In the background the smaller garage where the cabby is sheltered.
In the foreground the four arches that are already standing up by themselves thanks to a very clever process : no need to use concrete, just 8 strong & long helical pegs that are driven deep in the ground by a very astute & strong tool included in the package. You need only elbow grease & big paws and turn & turn & turn...!

Today I'll be fixing the strengthening rods (same large diameter as the arches) on each side and the ridgepole.
I assume that the skeleton itself will be able to resist to several gusts of wind. Future will tell...
To be followed...

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Today's job:

The special tool included in the package to drill the 8 legs in the ground stands in the middle.
At last job done... at dusk! Sorry for the poor pic.
At least my 25 will sleep sheltered from now on.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts