MG-Rover.org Forums banner

101 - 120 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
Oh dear lol. :LOL:

I have always tried to keep my cars factory but using factory upgrades, AKA nicer stuff like getting a set of dark interior panels for my Cabby and swapping the bland plain steering wheel on my 25 for a nice Mk2 one but its all subjective, hopfully you will get it fitted eventually.

Bargain battery! (y)(y)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Oh dear lol. :LOL:

I have always tried to keep my cars factory but using factory upgrades, AKA nicer stuff like getting a set of dark interior panels for my Cabby and swapping the bland plain steering wheel on my 25 for a nice Mk2 one but its all subjective, hopfully you will get it fitted eventually.

Bargain battery! (y)(y)
TBH it depends of my mood and the car I've got in front of me.
  • I kept the 75 as close as possible to the factory one but the chrome & walnut kit (very well) made by Simon the Bulgarian. I even kept the low line radio which works fine with my cellular phone thanks to a tiny clever device (you may have a look on the very long thread 'the last fleet admiral').
  • My 25 was greatly tuned & upgraded but in a very classical way, imitating the 75 & 45 aesthetic scheme: it was fun.
  • Regarding the cabby, I'm decided to keep it as close as possible to the original but a few details which are easily take off back to the original, like the gear lever knob and - if possible - a retro steering wheel, with the same aluminium & chrome look. It'll be a kind of nod to the glorious British cabriolets of the 70s.

Reactions: ROVER-25X

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
My Cabby is going to have a lot of OEM stuff but i'm going mad with a few bits, 1.8 turbo swap, A/C conversion, AUDI RS3 heated leather seats, MEMS 3 conversion plus lots lots more, no time limit on it, long term project, keep an eye out on the 200oc. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
My Cabby is going to have a lot of OEM stuff but i'm going mad with a few bits, 1.8 turbo swap, A/C conversion, AUDI RS3 heated leather seats, MEMS 3 conversion plus lots lots more, no time limit on it, long term project, keep an eye out on the 200oc. (y)
That's a lot of change & enhancement! How brave you are: congratulations! ?
The fact is my love of easy cars is growing on me more & more. My cabby looks very simple: no A/C, no airbag, no ABS, and none of all those terrible features or devices that make us mad when they don't want to work! :giggle:
Hence I hope (or wish?) I'll have more pleasure & less concerns... Hope springs eternal... ;)

Reactions: ROVER-25X

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
Silly speed & bl..dy radars!
While going to the Gaillac gathering on the 24th of last November, I'd just some problems with my GPS power cable and the GPS had switched off automatically a few km before. While trying to fiddle with the cable to get it back on, I was flashed by a radar the GPS was supposed to protect me against!
I was told my speed was 91 km/h (56.5 mls) instead of 80 km/h (49.71 mls). Mind you it was a very straight & large road and slightly downhill: obvious cash machine! :mad:
And aggravating circumstances: my cabby is the only one I've driven since 45 years that gives exactly the acurate speed! When you're used to know since ages that when it reads 90 km/h, it's never more than 85 in the worst case, it's awfully confusing!
Caught red handed... because my cabby is too precise and mainly too reactive and too fast!
Don't mind: Gabby is fantastic and I'm very happy to be her proud owner... :love::D

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Bad luck on the speeding fine. :(
45€ (£37.87): I'm so glad to contribute and help the ever thirsty French budget ! ?

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
45€ (£37.87): I'm so glad to contribute and help the ever thirsty French budget ! ?
Yeah, I had one sent through earlier this year. I think it was about twice that cost? I passed it to my colleague who was driving us back to CDG in a rental car I was the lead driver on. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Yeah, I had one sent through earlier this year. I think it was about twice that cost? I passed it to my colleague who was driving us back to CDG in a rental car I was the lead driver on. :confused:
It's a gigantic racket industry. I assume that the rules in the UK are simpler and the tolerance a bit softer, for example in France you're considered a trespasser when you're driving only 5km (3 mls) or more over the limit (!), when in the UK it's around twice that. And the speed limit is continuously changing hither & tither so much that lots of drivers here assume that it was only done to confuse people and force them into mistakes! I'm so often asking my wife which speed I'm supposed to drive at! They make us mad & obsessed... :sick:

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Cheeky cabby!
As you may be aware of, I've recently swapped batteries.
Result: all radio stations frequencies lost.
But surprisingly the fobs seem to work fine (i.e. no immobilizer) because I took the cabby for a short journey & treated my best half with a lovely meal in a typical French inn.
Only downside: when arriving, the cabby didn't want to lock with either of both fob. I'd to lock it with the key.
I was decided to clear out the problem in the afternoon.
When I took back the cabby no progress on the fob side, but worse: when I put the key to fire up, the alarm (aka immobilizer) red light popped out!
As I've learn what to do since I've bought the car (the seller used to take off the battery negative when stuck in the garage, which was nearly the rule during nearly 2 years), I push on the first fob lock button 4 (or 5?) times and bingo the door was shut. I did the same with the second fob & that easy problem was solved.
But what I don't understand is why the alarm waited 5 long days after the fitting of the new battery before reacting?! :unsure:o_O

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I can say that the new Rover 25 shelter is actually stiff enough: we suffered a stormy night with strong gales and the shelter fiercely resisted.
Unfortunately the tulip tree of Virginia couldn't & collapsed on the swimming pool strong shelter, which ends in a disaster: the west extremity is completely smashed...
Indeed I must admit that if the chestnut would have done the same on the car shelter the result should have been even worse. But the test was interesting with some gales at 130 km/h (more than 80 mph).

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I always carry out the reset procedure, of locking and unlocking multiple times with the fob, when reconnecting the battery on my mg-r’s. Seems to work.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I can say that the new Rover 25 shelter is actually stiff enough: we suffered a stormy night with strong gales and the shelter fiercely resisted.
Unfortunately the tulip tree of Virginia couldn't & collapsed on the swimming pool strong shelter, which ends in a disaster: the west extremity is completely smashed...
Indeed I must admit that if the chestnut would have done the same on the car shelter the result should have been even worse. But the test was interesting with some gales at 130 km/h (more than 80 mph).
Good that it’s holding out. (y)

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
It's a gigantic racket industry. I assume that the rules in the UK are simpler and the tolerance a bit softer, for example in France you're considered a trespasser when you're driving only 5km (3 mls) or more over the limit (!), when in the UK it's around twice that. And the speed limit is continuously changing hither & tither so much that lots of drivers here assume that it was only done to confuse people and force them into mistakes! I'm so often asking my wife which speed I'm supposed to drive at! They make us mad & obsessed... :sick:
Actually the French system seems simpler as they send you through a form and bill, which if you pay on time all seems ok. In the uk they fine you and usually put points on your licence, 3 for a minor speeding offence. When you reach 12 points you’ll lose your driving licence. Sometimes they may offer re-training at about 100GBP instead of points, which is preferable.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
In the uk they fine you and usually put points on your licence, 3 for a minor speeding offence. When you reach 12 points you’ll lose your driving licence. Sometimes they may offer re-training at about 100GBP instead of points, which is preferable.
Same punishment in France but a tad softer: added to the 45€ fine, I've lost 1 point out of 12. Even for 1 kph above the limit you should pay 45€ & lose 1 point: not so nice for so light an excess methinks... :cautious:

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #116

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Job done. :D

Lot of stuff to take away to give a little more room to my paws! Phew! :cry:
I took off the green plug then introduced 2 legs of a 22k Ohms resistor in each hole. Given that a 24k Ohms resistor is simulating an outside temperature of -29°C in my KV6, I think I'm in the ball park as well with that one, or thereabouts. A -20°C temperature will be enough to help the ECU moving its tables to feed better the engine, for E85 needs about 20% more fuel to work fine.

I tried only in the garage today: the engine fired up nicely & immediately then after 1 or 2 min. I opened the throttle up to 2k revs several times without any problem. :cool:
Before that, after 1 or 2 min. when putting on a gear, 1st or reverse, it was enough to make the engine muffle and die because of a lack of fuel, unless I push on the pedal.
I let the engine working during 5 minutes no more, the revs gently decreasing. I cut off then I fired up one more time: no problem at all. :)

Next try on the road at the next occasion provided it doesn't rain... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #118

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Well while waiting for my front brace struts, I've done the mod you should have done when your tank is filled with E85 (ethanol) only.

Since the temperatures went low outside & the weather chilly & foggy, I've noticed that randomly the engine couldn't be fed with enough fuel, resulting in slights jolts on strong accelerations (unless I put my finger on the starter button during a few moments).

Since I'd already done the mod in the V6, I knew what to do: put a 22k Ohms resistor in place of the IAT sensor.
A 100km test drive made yesterday proved that the trick was the right answer: what a blissful drive from now on! Responsive, powerful & efficient and no longer any jolt or weakness. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Funny thought...
Since a while I'd been puzzled by a weird symbol in a cabby: close to the rear fog lights button, I've got another one marked with which I knew so far as a rear window defrost symbol! :oops:
Still I hadn't try to switch it on for fear the plastic item would melt... :ROFLMAO:
But - second thought - I'd a go with the genuine French driver's manual which approximately reads: 'rear window demisting fan for cabby only'.
Phew! sight of relief... :p
Very clever device & well done Rover: I hadn't any in my 1995 Fiat Punto cabriolet. (y)

101 - 120 of 226 Posts