MG-Rover.org Forums banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Latest news!
My Wieschers front strut brace is home!
It looks very strong and very well done!

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Result!
Just that slightly bent shape that Dark Ice unfortunately doesn't offer. It's a mistake of them because Wieschers fits far better so.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #123

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
Following some good advice given by a cunning & clever mate on a French car forum, I've bought a bottle of Polytrol:
Owatrol Polytrol Colour Restorer 500ml For Faded Paint and Plastics
Owatrol Polytrol Colour Restorer 1 Litre For Faded Paint and Plastics
Mind that I've no interest at all in that shop whatsoever: I bought mine elsewhere in France.

I've just renovated all the cabby faded plastics everywhere on the body: bumpers, side trim, pillars, windscreen frame...
I'm flabbergasted! Plastics look now quite new, deep black with a nice satin finish.
It's amazing! :whistle:
I'd used Turtle Wax renovator so far: Polytrol looks far more efficient & impressive. Result! (y)

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Result:

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Last Friday I've just driven the cabby along 8km (5 mls) to collect a parcel: the front strut brace introduction looks hardly noticeable so far but my speed was rather limited and corners not so many.
Anyway the engine is ever brilliantly responding and Lady Gaby is a very bliss to drive even with the hood still on despite a shiny sky but a chilly temperature.
Next time I hope the journey will be much longer...

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #127 (Edited)
How to get rid of lots of several very tiny spots of old white paint on my boot lid?
In the first place I thought they were some microscopic scratches in the paint showing the white primer below, but under the finger you could actually feel they were just over the paint.
Had I taken a picture from rear you couldn't have noticed them (you may find some pictures of the like in my previous posts), but they were easily discernible closely from above.
Hardly more than a needle head but they were more than a dozen spilled all over the lid and that was very worrying. But it looks that nobody before was interested in taking away those scars and mainly not the then owner!
So far nothing had succeeded: neither scratch remover, nor anti tar product (2 different ones to no avail) nor white spirit. I had polished then waxed he lid but they were still present like the blood stain in Macbeth.
I was fed up yesterday. I tried for the last time all the products above... no way.
Then I recalled I'd something else up my sleeve - actually in a cupboard with all the valeting stuff! - I hadn't very much experienced so far but to conclude after a few tries that for me it was useless and removing nothing more than I could do with a sponge and a good cleaning bottle.
Hence I'd a go on a tiny isolated dot and with a lot of elbow grease it began to fade! I pushed on and the tiny white dot ended to disappear. Hip! Hip! Hip! Hooray! The disease could be warded off! :love:
Thus I applied all my strength on every tiny dot remaining... and lasted so bent over the lid... more than an hour!
Did you guess now what was my magical but not effortless wand?
Suspense... :D

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Not at all. Nice try though.
It's something useful when valeting and sold on Amazon and I guess at Halford's.
Two more bets still...

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
Sorry no T cut.
Last try mate !
EDIT : a clue...think far softer...

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
You've lost!
I take you out of your misery: a blue clay bar!
Nakeey Clay Bar

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Ah, that was my next guess... :whistle:
Unfortunately you'd only three tries! :ROFLMAO:
But I do notice that you tried. (y) Some others were far more cautious as it looks... ;)
Today rain, rain, rain. Sick, sick, sick. Never we'd had so much rain and so few sunny days since November. :sick:
But tomorrow will be another day: the forecast is rather good with a sunny sky hence I've invited my best half to a very good meal and I'll have the opportunity to do a real test of my new front brace struts on a 100km (62 mls) journey with lots of jolly corners! We'll see... :p

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
(Too) warm temperatures (18/20°), sunny day thus breezy mood and lovely drive irresistible!
First time I take off the new mohair hood... delightful journey but a bit harsh to close back as I'd been told by my saddler who had abundantly watered it to let disappear a tiny gap: weather being dry the mohair hood tried to contract itself a little and in the end half a cm was nearly missing! Phew! But I succeeded.
Steering & handling look more precise & punchy in the corners, either thanks to the brace strut either in mind only, who knows. Anyway it's a dream...

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I should add that the uprated 1.6 gear box (1997) newly fitted by my good mechanic - by chance same mileage as my 1.4 i.e. 95k km (60k mls) - with its new clutch is a very bliss: smooth, fluid, responsive and the fifth gear made for cruising is longer & better than the previous one.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Last niggle - at least I hope so - corrected.
And it was unfortunately a fresh one: the careless painter (no longer my supplier should I have to say?) who had repainted the left door lower part below the trim had omitted to protect the bottom. Hence some paint had penetrated between the door and the body and below the door (however chrome sills luckily had been left untouched) so the pretty BRG showed some weird and crazy shades easily noticed when opening the door or looking under the body. Rubbish and unbearable!
Fortunately I'd kept on the back burner half the BRG spray can and lacquer as well I'd used for the mirror covers. The main part of the jobby was to protect everything but only that was needed. Shame I hadn't taken pictures before because that makes now a massive difference. :whistle:
Actually nobody can think that there had been a mistake beforehand hence taking pictures now doesn't make any sense! ;)
But I'm so delighted by my result and the job I've just done that paradoxically I feel far better than if it had been nicely and professionally done in the first place: do you understand what I mean? :D

·
Registered
cityrover
2 Posts
Last niggle - at least I hope so - corrected.
And it was unfortunately a fresh one: the careless painter (no longer my supplier should I have to say?) who had repainted the left door lower part below the trim had omitted to protect the bottom. Hence some paint had penetrated between the door and the body and below the door (however chrome sills luckily had been left untouched) so the pretty BRG showed some weird and crazy shades easily noticed when opening the door or looking under the body. Rubbish and unbearable!
Fortunately I'd kept on the back burner half the BRG spray can and lacquer as well I'd used for the mirror covers. The main part of the jobby was to protect everything but only that was needed. Shame I hadn't taken pictures before because that makes now a massive difference. :whistle:
Actually nobody can think that there had been a mistake beforehand hence taking pictures now doesn't make any sense! ;)
But I'm so delighted by my result and the job I've just done that paradoxically I feel far better than if it had been nicely and professionally done in the first place: do you understand what I mean? :D
Absolutely fantastic - I had one of these for a few years from 2006 - it was the same colour as yours and we were always amazed at how well built it was and what a lot of fun it was. Just looked it up on the UK MOT checker and sadly its MOT expired in 2018 and it hasn't been renewed...so I'm guessing it has finally reached the end of its road. Lovely to see one so similar still going strong thanks to your hard work.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Absolutely fantastic - I had one of these for a few years from 2006 - it was the same colour as yours and we were always amazed at how well built it was and what a lot of fun it was. Just looked it up on the UK MOT checker and sadly its MOT expired in 2018 and it hasn't been renewed...so I'm guessing it has finally reached the end of its road. Lovely to see one so similar still going strong thanks to your hard work.
Thank you for your heartful testimony. It's ever hartbreaking to see the end of something we loved.
It's still the heart that drove me to that particular cabby: it had its whole story and was sold new half a mile away from the spot where I'm born and same distance from the spot where Mum was born in the same 17th 'arrondissement' in Paris. Moreover it was a 214 (mk1 saloon) as well which my parents bought in 1991, which I inherited and which I kept until 2015. To add even another coincidence, 1994 is the year when my good old maternal grandma Davis passed away, aged nearly 103.
I couldn't miss it. That's why I don't bear anything wrong... Well... I told you it was the last niggle... not so... The spring inside the left mirror had snapped: it's the second time it happens. The first time it was the right one from the genuine old pair: easy to correct. You just have to heat the mirror which is glued, then unstick it, put the spring back in place and find another double sided tape to put the mirror back in place. Next turn...

121 - 140 of 150 Posts