MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a regular reader of "Honest John's" features on Motoring. Been so for years. Usually good advice. I even have email updates regularly. My cousin who has the hard copy newspaper his writings appear in saves his Motoring Section for me too.

Always helpful over many years but there are the occasional and rare lapses such as about twenty years ago, maybe more, a reader asked his advice about which is the best Rover 600 to buy. He advised the 623... because of its Honda engine. Unforgivable poor judgement tainted by the "Foreign is best, British is Inferior" mindsets which permeated much of UK's Motoring Media and still does to a certain extent to this day. All Rover 600s had merit in their own ways but the two with the Rover engines, both the Turbocharged Petrol and Diesel 600s, with the T and L Series Rover power units respectively were rightly regarded as the better options by many folks. The mythical Honda engine reliability about their 2300 Honda engines in the 600s proved it was just that for a few owners. A myth. Both the T and L Series engines were at least as reliable and in my experience of these cars, moreso. In fact, Honda fitted Rover's L-Series to their Diesel Version of the Accord before Honda developed their own oil burners.

Anyway, HJ's most recent email contained a range of interesting Motoring topics as usual but one deserves to be more widely read. It covers the various servicing "scams" too many pro-outfits use to boost costs of servicing when folks entrust the care of their cars to them. There are good, reliable folks out there who do both a good job and at reasonable costs, but, they appear to becoming harder to find.

Here is the link which included a few "scams" I was not aware of. Something new every day scenario... :)

Good Garage Guide

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Interesting read. I went through a period when I thought I was to busy to maintain my own car and recognize a few of those tricks: New brake discs being recommended on brake pad changes even if they are well within spec; screws being found on other tyres than the one you've come in to change, so they need changing as well; and routine changing of calipers, rather than a clean and lube.

My eureka moment was a failed HG repair, and being advised it wasn't their fault and the engine (50k miles) needed replacing at great cost. I took it home, fixed it myself, and reminded myself I really enjoyed hands on tech stuff:
https://forums.mg-rover.org/how-do-i-answers-common-problems-8/r214-back-dead-head-gasket-change-403551/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts