MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Well i finally got a coupe! Swapped it last night for my 45.Not sure if i've done the right thing since going round it properly this morning but it did drive lovely the 50 miles home last night.(apart from a whistling roof)
It's a 216 with 72k with an absolute mountain of history with it.
It has no mechanical problems at all including HG but it needs some cosmetics & interior work.
The boot lid could do with changing(rust in the corners) & it doesnt look too pretty on the inside of the boot at the top of the body.Looks like water has got in & rotted it out.Not sure if this is a common problem area on these? Can't see it being easy to sort out :S
There's evidence of water ingress from the glass roof too(staining on door cards)
Wish i had a garage to keep it in :(
Well i've got it now & like i said it drives lovely.Not unlike a Porsche 924 i had a couple of years ago.I think i'll just have to ignore the rust in the boot for now & enjoy it.

Attachments

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
336 Posts
Congratulations on picking the best car in the world. FACT.

Heres to many miles of enjoyment!

Things that jump out at me..

1> no HG fault.. do you mean it currently is fine and has been done in the past or is it still on the origonal HG?

2> leaky roof.. it its coming in via the handles an easy fix is to remove the handle. Pop a bit of silicone under and refix. Mine has now been drip free for 7 years or more. Staining on door cards could also be your windows need alignment to sit against the rubber seal correctly, remember there is no top frame on the door. Id wait till it rains and inspect, no point fixing something that isnt broken.

3> bood lid.. i seem to remember is fairly common problem but i cant remember the cause/fix of the top of my head, it was posted on one of the rover forums. Might have been something simple like leaves and gunk tend to collect there so just brush out regularly. Mine was actually catching on the rear window trim which had come loose from a retaining clip.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi candygt,
yes HG was done about 13000 miles ago & seems fine.
Thanks for the tip with the leaky roof,i shall definitely have a go at that.
I've seen a couple of boot lids on ebay so that should be easy enough to replace but the rust inside is going to be major grief! I can get the panel from rimmer bros but finding someone to do it is another thing.
Rear corner of the sills will need work.Can't believe you can't get sills for them :(
Apart from these problems the body & underside are pretty impressive.
I really would like to keep it on the road if possible because i've fallen in love with it already.

Attachments

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
well done on the new Tomcat, many years of fun to come lol....

a boot spoiler always looks good on Tomcats, the black wheels (well each to their own!)

NB but the Tomcat is the best alround sportscar that sensible money can buy......

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks cat20.
wheels were painted the day before i picked it up :(
I could do with a new bootlid because of some rust in the corners so i'll look out for one already fitted with a spoiler.
Have to agree on the best value for money.I've had 924's & supras & this is every bit as much fun but holds the road better in my view.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks Rav,i've done a naughty & bought myself a vvc today.guy took the 16 in p/x.It was going to cost me a fortune to sort it out 'properly'

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
thanks cat20.
wheels were painted the day before i picked it up :(
I could do with a new bootlid because of some rust in the corners so i'll look out for one already fitted with a spoiler.
Have to agree on the best value for money.I've had 924's & supras & this is every bit as much fun but holds the road better in my view.
fair point,

I too say that out of all the sportscars I have owned, being something like 8 now, the Tomcat was a very long time for me to get used to, but a great allrounder & a joy to drive when learnt.... its like all that power on the front wheels makes it a bit like a `Mini layout' but on steroids lol......

I say if you get the `Tomcat' on a race track & thats where it is all happening we found!!

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
Ah i bet that was fun cat20 where did you take it?
we, I mean me & the Mrs took ours round `Olivers Mount' on the edge of Scarborough, which is actually a bike track & quite narrow at that, with some real bad corners too,

but we also had a chuckle that day, as a learner driver did one edge of the track while we did the whole track in 2/3 gear running at 3000 to 6000rpm the whole way round, in the same time it took him to do a tiny bit of it lol.... mind you it made the mrs twitch a bit though!!

as I shouted to her " the louder you scream, the faster we go" lol......

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
not completely sure the 1.6 coupe is thebest car in the world FACT candygt? the tbar option is quite good but storing those glass panels is a bit of a pain.and the boot over hatch makes less practical than my 3dr 216gti tc with its honda engine and close ratio gearbox.the trick head vvc is a bit quicker than mine but approaching 225000 im not sure the k would get so far without that hgf.i do like all the mk2 200 series though

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my new vvc

p/xed my 16 for a vvc last week & here she is.
put her in for an mot on friday & she went through just needing a foglight bulb.
Lot's of fun :)

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i discovered that the mot station had broken my underside tray so they probably went easy on me through feeling guilty.Can't really say anything as it has been lowered.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts