MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Greetings from Rob from Oz!

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Rob from Oz 
#1 ·
G day fellas;
Thought l would buy a sportscar after playing with hotrods for the past thirty years or so, and silly me bought an MGF! Its a Feb 98 built date first registered in 99 in Oz . Bought it as an economical write off from a guy who had it in his shed for 8 years and fixed the panel work really nicely; then l bought it and trouble started from that day! I have resprayed the front panels and thought 'oh well might just take it for a rego inspection(same as your MOT but much more red tape)" . They wanted engineer certification for the repairs which was OK but also wanted the Vin number of the car the parts came off to fix mine back in 2012, I managed to get these and proudly made an appointment for a second inspection ....... got within 3Ks (about 2 Miles) from the inspection and head gasket shat itself. Well l have put in a new one, got the head cleaned and surfaced and changed the timing belt and a new water pump and voila! - leaks around the thermostat housing so new T/stat and housing and we're ready to go but it doesn't. it has spark and fuel pump engages to prime the rail and turns over but after 1/2 second of running it shut off and wont start again,,, good battery and l played beethovens fifth on the key fob to disable the alarm to no avail. My question after all this is did l miss something ( I've got 50 years experience as a mechanic, so I'm pretty thick skinned) or do I call the wrecker and go back to earlies (Noooo)

See less See more
#3 ·
Well so far l have sent my mems1.9 and 5as to Germany to Ralf Grafe and recieved them back with a code repeater to eliminate alarm problems, and also got the injectors serviced and fitted a 3 series bmw fuel pump; and have removed and replaced the loom from the ecu to the engine and tested the resistance of all wires and connectors (less than 1ohm) Now lm going to test the rest of the wiring from the 5as , mfu and fuse boxes to the engine bay, then try again. I was pretty sure the ecu wasnt too bad but unsure about its communication with the 5as, because as l said all the "experts" here didnt want to touch a pommy car so l ended up sending it off to Ralf in Germany with success; although it didnt work! If it still wont after l will recheck the cam timing (again) and then if it still refuses ill change the fuel in the tank - although its still pretty fresh , and then if all else fails l will do what l did to the 1uzfe in my 34 hotrod and fit a Spitronic standalone ecu from South Africa (cheapest by miles) and hide it inside the mems case so rego authorities cant see lve changed it.... Phew ! Wish me luck, ive had the mgf for over a year now and ld really like to drive the bloody thing😈

#4 ·
Glad you have not lost heart with it after all that.

Any useful info in these threads that may shed some light on your issues?:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.