MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tuning is correct i.e frequency, but theres a lot of static in places it never used to be. I had hid fitted but i doubt this has caused it. Its for all radio frequencies. Anything I could try?

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
HID (headlamps) can interfere with the radio because the system generates an electric arc. Is the interference present all the time or only when the HIDs are switched on? If it's call the time, it would seem to eliminate the HIDs as the source. There's lots of info about HID radio interference if you Google for it.

TC

·
Registered
mg_zt
428 Posts
It's your HIDs, cheap nasty unshielded ballasts and / or cables.

Lots of fixes on the internet, or you could ditch 'em completely

·
Registered
mg_zt
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I swapped them for the halogens for the mot it was still happening. Also it isnt constant. Some areas it goes fine and other areas it causes some static until I move a fair bit away from that area. It never used to happen. Can I try anything?

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Check the filter is fitted/connected properly inside the rear left (I think) C pillar trim.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I bought a very cheap pair of HID's and they did some *wierd* things to my car stereo - eg my iPod lost connection when I turned them on, my engine even cut out occasionally (!)

Another HID kit I had (that cost slightly more) was fine. I couldn't believe it - but Googling shows it's a common problem with the new ultra-cheap HID ballasts (they are either AC or DC, I can't remember).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts