MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I change them one by one without to change the gasket? Just in case I want the more hard ones!

No problem with the gasket after one year that I fixed it but I want to know!

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Short answer - no.
Long answer - definitely no.

The uneven stress on the head with one bolt undone can do far more damage than you can imagine... :)

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1 if it ain't broke....
Leave well alone.

Unless you're pushing 200 bhp + and fear head lift?
I think high tension bolts would add to cars protection even if the problem was not so big! So let the 200 bhp because even with the normal compression you could have a head gasket problem easily if you go to service and they tell you not to change the thermostat(and find out it is rusty blocked) and you lose water in the engine(you find out that you lose water through the outside pipes, they also claim you have your head gasket gone(you fix the spark plug gap and the problem is over, change also some sensors that work without errors but the readings are slightly wrong and you accelerate below 3000 rpm in the morning with a cold car and you are cool with it but your engine is not! I would like to have the higher tension bolts there even if I get one and only week more in a troubled engine!!! and I have more to write but my first need is to thank you for replying even if I don't agree 100% with you!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
If you you don't agree or like the advice you are given.....next time don't ask !!!!!
Just do what you want to do , you obviously know better.......

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok

If you you don't agree or like the advice you are given.....next time don't ask !!!!!
Just do what you want to do , you obviously know better.......
I did not meant to underestimate you! I don't claim that I know better,
we have a conversation here, nothing personal, when you give advice that you are sure it is ok to let some space for a better opinion you might get! No one has the complete knowledge, otherwise this forum would not be needed at all!

All my disagree was about the 200 bhp that is big words for me!!! That's all! You were a little bit angry about it I suppose! Where is your sense of humor man? :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts