MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning men, I am just in the process of buying a 2000 MGF with 43,00 on the clock. Is it inevitable that the head gasket & thermostat will need replacing around 60,000 miles. Has anybody not have to had this done?
cheers

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
When I bought my TF it was borderline but MGROVERSOLUTIONS- whom Ive know for years, repalced it for me as it was 'maintenance' as far as im concerned. I wanted the cambelt and w/pump replaced and I knew it was loosing coolant, but only a bit. Now, based on the fact there were no drips and OAT doesnt evaporate, it was as Russel said- only a question of time. He said its not if, its when. Especially with the OEM gasket on an '02 plated car.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Not inevitable, but likely. I’ve had 5 k-series powered MG-R’s and 3 out of the 5 needed a new hg at around 50k miles. I would run it and see. If it consumes an annoying quantity of coolant it is possible that the HG is on the way out, although coolant consumption is the symptom of other failures as well. Also check when the timing belt was done as that will need replacing at 5 yrs/ 60k, whichever’s first. Enjoy you MG!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,929 Posts
A HGF at 60K is something of urban myth, if the car is on it's original head gasket after 20 years I would be inclined to leave it well alone until (if) it needs doing.

·
Registered
mg_tf
320 Posts
I’m also from the school of if it’s not broke, don’t fix it. Religiously check the coolant, keep an eye on the temperature gauge and enjoy the car. It will let you know when things are starting to go wrong - if they do.
Replacing cambelt along with a quality water pump and alternator belt? Now that would be important to me unless you have documented history of this having been done within the last 5 years.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Fully agree with the last comment. I also think the 60K HGF is a myth. Mine went at 35K and 60K (miles). Now got the multi-layer gasket and we shall see how it does.

As for the thermostat failing at 60K, that is a new one on me.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My 2005 tf 160 is on the gasket it left the factory with and is on 92K and when I drive it I drive it how it is meant to be driven. do regular checks and look after the car and it will look after you, IMHO.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
743 Posts
A HGF at 60K is something of urban myth, if the car is on it's original head gasket after 20 years I would be inclined to leave it well alone until (if) it needs doing.
In the past two years, I know of two 1996 Japan-export Fs that had their head gaskets fail, both at about 60,000 mi (100,000 km).

·
Registered
mg_tf
661 Posts
The cars are all getting old. Coolant loss can be a sign of perished/split 20 year old rubber hoses just as surely as HGF.
A leak you can't trace, or don't deal with, may well get you HGF after all. They all need regular inspection and maintenance to keep them running sweetly.
If I bought a car which running well, with clean oil and no coolant loss I wouldn't dream of touching the head gasket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts