MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day that the passenger side headlight didn't seem to be working.
I swapped the bulb with the other MGF on the drive but still no joy (both bulbs work in the other MGF).

After doing some research I found that there were seperate fuses for Let and Right lights. So I checked the fuse for that side and yes it was blown. Result, nice easy fix I thought. I replaced the fuse, but the light still didn't come on. So I decided to try the drivers side headlight fuse in the passenger headlight fuse slot leaving the driver side empty. No lights this time.

So that's the bulb and the fuse ruled out.

I've checked the live and earth wires across a multimeter on both sides with the headlight on. Drivers side is a good 11.8V but passenger side is completely dead.

I'm guessing my next step is to check the current at the fuse box, but then what's next ?

I've found the wiring diagram but not sure what else to check to get this sorted. Fuse 10 was the one that was blown. Just to clarify the light that's not working is the dipped headlight (not the one used for flashing or the side lights. i.e. position 2 on the arm ;) )

·
Registered
mgf
3,976 Posts
Hmm, I looked through my workshop hand book and I can't find a relay to the headlights....... Can anyone (so to say) enlighten us?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm not trying to be patronising, but did you check the fuse you used to replace the blown one was ok? (with a meter not visually)

I'd put the neg' lead on your meter to earth, and keep checking back till you find a live supply.

·
Registered
mgf
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not trying to be patronising, but did you check the fuse you used to replace the blown one was ok? (with a meter not visually)
yes, pretty much. I didn't take it as patronising, sometimes the simple things are missed.

Pinnacle said:
So I decided to try the drivers side headlight fuse in the passenger headlight fuse slot leaving the driver side empty. No lights this time.

·
Registered
mgf
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help and advice so far guys.

I'm still a little stuck. I took a multimeter to the fuse box tonight and tested both fuse points 10 & 11. With the headlights switched on but no fuses in either slot I get 12v from 11 but nothing from 10. So the problem seems to be either before the fuse box of in the fuse box itself.

I removed the fuse box by unscrewing the two 10mm nuts.

On the back I located the wiring to the headlights. Two pink and blue wires. Tested both of these and I'm getting 12v again but from both of them this time.

Therefore I'm assuming that the problem is the fuse box itself.

Do you think that's a fair assumption?. I'm going to try and change the fuse box over with our other MGF which is waiting for a head gasket replacement. The other one is a 1.8 where as this one is a vvc. Do you know if there is any diffference between the fuse boxes themselves or should they be the same?.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Well I shall stick my neck out, and wait for folks to jump on me,...but I think from reading the following link the satellite fuse box, is the one under the drivers knees behind console.....

................http://www.mgfcar.de/fuse/index.htm

Its in german and english. English RH side..........:wooman: Fuses 21/22 as drawing

·
Registered
mgf
118 Posts
I had this problem and it turned out to be another fuse. I believe it was 1, 7 or 8. Confused the hell out of me as to how it affected the headlight but it fixed it!

·
Registered
mg_tf
635 Posts
hi chapps if you find out which fuse it is let me no i have just got the same problem today had to take the car to work with just the side lights on .

·
Registered
mgf
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well from what I know so far.

Fuse slot 10 (10amp) is the Left Dipped beam (i.e. Headlight).
Fuse slot 11 (10amp) is the right Dipped beam (I say left and right just in case someone has a left hand drive).

If you try these fuses first. i.e. swap 10 with 11 and see if you stil have the problem with the light.

I'm going to check the other fuses tonight. So hopefully I will be able to post the answer here (if I sort it)

·
Registered
mgf
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've checked every dam fuse in the car with a multi meter and they are all fine. Now I'm really stuck. I guess the only thing I can do now if take the fuse box off and check all the feeds going in. Once that's checked I should find a wire fault. If that shows nothing, I'll swap the fuse box over itself. I'm going to do this tomorrow.

Can anyone think of anything else?

·
Registered
mg_tf
635 Posts
hi i do have the same problem timotie said it could be the relay for the lights i am just trying ot find it i will let you no if it works.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts