MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a couple of days ago (cold morning) that the mirrors didn't demist, anyway checked the fuse, it's ok, so looks like the elements have gone (unless there's something else i am mising), does anyone know how to remove the mirror from the casing ?

Derek

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Does all the buttons work on the switch panel? May need taking out and cleaning. Although this doesn't usually affect the heating.

Edd

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does all the buttons work on the switch panel? May need taking out and cleaning. Although this doesn't usually affect the heating.

Edd
Yep everything works, i was wanting to remove the glass so i could check the wiring and see if poewr is getting to them

Derek

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Yep everything works, i was wanting to remove the glass so i could check the wiring and see if poewr is getting to them

Derek
Hi Derek.

Not had to take the glass out on a 75's mirror yet but would assume it's similar to other Rovers I've had - the glass is retained by a circle of clips and the best way to remove is by using a thin flat wide blade to prise off the glass from the centre.

Once the glass if off there should be two connectors supplying power to the mirror - be easy enough to check if powered, the mirrors are live all the time the engine is running.

Regards

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Derek.

Not had to take the glass out on a 75's mirror yet but would assume it's similar to other Rovers I've had - the glass is retained by a circle of clips and the best way to remove is by using a thin flat wide blade to prise off the glass from the centre.

Once the glass if off there should be two connectors supplying power to the mirror - be easy enough to check if powered, the mirrors are live all the time the engine is running.

Regards
Jimbo, just had a thought, do you thing i would be able to pull the glass out with a sucker tool ?

Derek

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Jimbo, just had a thought, do you thing i would be able to pull the glass out with a sucker tool ?

Derek
Truthfully not sure about that Derek, you could give it a try but I would have thought that the clips might well be too strong.

Regards

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't think you have to remove the glass. carefully remove the mirror cover and you will see the heater connections thro' holes in the mirror body. Mine are the later type, middle of 2002 on, I assume the earlier bullets are similar. Just checked a spare damaged mirror I have in the garage and it has a large access hole in the body. The heater connections are in plain view.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I don't think you have to remove the glass. carefully remove the mirror cover and you will see the heater connections thro' holes in the mirror body. Mine are the later type, middle of 2002 on, I assume the earlier bullets are similar. Just checked a spare damaged mirror I have in the garage and it has a large access hole in the body. The heater connections are in plain view.
That's an idea - mind you I've always found that the mirror backs are rather hard to remove - changed the ones on my 45 to chrome what a battle, not had to remove the "bullet" type ones on my 75 yet.

Regards

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I noticed a couple of days ago (cold morning) that the mirrors didn't demist, anyway checked the fuse, it's ok, so looks like the elements have gone (unless there's something else i am mising), does anyone know how to remove the mirror from the casing ?

Derek
the chances of both elements failing at the same time are about the same as winning the lottery, i would double check fuses swopping like for like.
when i bought my car 3 weeks ago both mirrors did not work garage looked at it and said they would order two new elements,when i went in and they fitted new elements they did not work, turned out to be fuse

double check

ken

·
Registered
812 Posts
the chances of both elements failing at the same time are about the same as winning the lottery, i would double check fuses swopping like for like.
when i bought my car 3 weeks ago both mirrors did not work garage looked at it and said they would order two new elements,when i went in and they fitted new elements they did not work, turned out to be fuse

double check

ken
Agreed. A fuse can look ok but still be blown. Always check by swapping with a known good fuse.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The mirror glass is removed by adjusting the glass until it is pointing down , you can then
see the retaining clips on the back of the mirror. Carefully unclip it, a thin bladed screwdriver helps for the bottom clip. Easier to do than explain. They are quite easy to remove without causing any damage.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just checked, with a multimeter fuse is ok, 12v getting to both mirrors, 14.5 with engine running, so they are either goosed or they don't get very hot (how hot do they get on a 75, can you feel the heat with your hand? )

Derek

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
just checked, with a multimeter fuse is ok, 12v getting to both mirrors, 14.5 with engine running, so they are either goosed or they don't get very hot (how hot do they get on a 75, can you feel the heat with your hand? )

Derek
You are asking about do they get hot to the touch . The thing is; if they are demisting they are ok. They can feel almost cold to the touch but will still demist. They only need to be a little above ambiant temperature to clear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To get the mirror to demist turn ignition key to the first position and they should work fine .
Just replaced one of mine got from Rimmer Bros. For £53.40 .
They do all new rover 25 to 75 parts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts