MG-Rover.org Forums banner

181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Plato does not need to come on here for PR, he has a 3 year racing deal with momentum using the MG.

WHY WOULD HE?

can anyone answer this?

there's so much moaning going on and yet little logic as to why he should.

for what purpose would he spend his time here?
According to the Admin on here it was JP's email adress that was used to sign up, not many people probably have access to his email address I imagine.

Oh and by all accounts it was Jason who brought £3m's worth of sponsorship (from the sponsors Tesco, KX energy drink etc) to the table for the MG6 BTCC car, so a very good reason to try and gain support for the sponsors who put the money in.

As said it was likely to gain support from existing MG fans as a PR exercise.

He clearly did post in a thread on piston heads, if you read the custard test it proves it was JP, he can use a forum the same as anyone else can.

Simon

·
Registered
mg_zs
427 Posts
According to the Admin on here it was JP's email adress that was used to sign up, not many people probably have access to his email address I imagine.
that's not in doubt

Oh and by all accounts it was Jason who brought £3m's worth of sponsorship to the table for the MG6 BTCC car, so a very good reason to try and gain support for the sponsors who put the money in.
it was momentum who put in 3mill, not MG who put in a poultry half mill over 3yrs, I don't know of a momentum forum, but can't imagine discussing 99ron octane fuel that interesting?

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,895 Posts
it was momentum who put in 3mill, not MG who put in a poultry half mill over 3yrs, I don't know of a momentum forum, but can't imagine discussing 99ron octane fuel that interesting?
I visited Tesco Petrol Station earlier today and decided to try some of their Momentum ( 99 Ron) fuel in my MGZS120.

The nozzle would not enter the filler tube so I looked at the end of the pump and noticed it was slightly damaged, being oval and not circular. Tried the 95Ron pump next to it no problem so used that. I mentioned the pump problem to the women behind the counter when I paid but, they did not appear to be at all interested.... :(

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
that's not in doubt

Thats my point Jason gained the support and sponsorship from Tesco fuels and yes MG have only put in 1/2 a million at present, I never said MG had put the £3m up in my post.

The point is that the sponsors will want as much publicity for their money they don't do it out of the kindness of their heart, so yes PR stunts like this is very common practise anywhere it can be done.

Simon

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
Like I said earlier on it would have been better not to have posted in the first place if no one was going to bother posting again.

It has caused more bitterness by not responding than not bothering in the first place.

Its a shame as some form of dialogue would have been good but it wasn't to be .....

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
I was on about the ask Jason thread. :(
Thought so but wanted to add a bit of spice to the thread :rofl:
Like I said earlier on it would have been better not to have posted in the first place if no one was going to bother posting again.

It has caused more bitterness by not responding than not bothering in the first place.

Its a shame as some form of dialogue would have been good but it wasn't to be .....
Hear hear Forehead, yet again we actually agree on something, better be careful or we might agree too often :dunno:

Simon

·
Administrator
31,560 Posts

I couldn't agree more, I only started it as Jason himself suggested it. tbh, he can drive the nuts off a car, but I have to be honest, I found the reception from him and the team as a whole frosty. I think they're just scared ***less of Internet Forums - certainly their big sponsors are. Fine when they want some free publicity and then can't be bothered when we want to work with them.

WSR of old was much better, no big PR bigwigs worried over how their logo is 1mm too far to the left and minutely the wrong shade of light blue or red. It would be far better if an independent team ran some MG6s next year, they may actually want to spend time talking to the fans & forums. Every request for an interview I put forward was rejected. In the end I just gave up & only went to cover the race for the forum & take photos.

tbh, I'm beginning to wonder if I will carry on. Spending loads on fuel & B&Bs - not to mention time away from my daughter when the weekends is really the only time I get to spend with her for no real monetary return at all and zero recognition at all from the team. Again, happy for me to take photos of the cars & publicise the races on the forum & facebook page and offer little in return. Not even a seat in the hospitality tent so I can have some peace and quiet to work on the photos for the site and a bit of free nosh. (Food at the venues is rarely cheap).

Didn't seem like asking too much in return for the publicity really, but no. Got a bit disillusioned with the whole thing really all take take take and give nothing back.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Oh dear, steady on Steve, me and you agreeing with Forehead so closely, seriously I think we all need to remember who we are :rofl:

Does sound like your a tad ****** off tbh and rightly so, free publicity is great but they have to give something back in return, bad publicity is also as equally free and spreads quicker then fire in a petrol storage container.

Seems crazy to me that anyone would think that posting once or twice and then nothing official even to say it has been decided that no one forum can be favoured at least.

Don't get me wrong I will still support JP and MG/888 and Neate but still feel very disillusioned with the whole scenario.

Simon

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, MG got wind of the thread and wanted it stopped so that people didn't think they were linked to the old MGR.
That might sound odd but I wouldnt put it past them.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I couldn't agree more, I only started it as Jason himself suggested it. tbh, he can drive the nuts off a car, but I have to be honest, I found the reception from him and the team as a whole frosty. I think they're just scared ***less of Internet Forums - certainly their big sponsors are. Fine when they want some free publicity and then can't be bothered when we want to work with them.

WSR of old was much better, no big PR bigwigs worried over how their logo is 1mm too far to the left and minutely the wrong shade of light blue or red. It would be far better if an independent team ran some MG6s next year, they may actually want to spend time talking to the fans & forums. Every request for an interview I put forward was rejected. In the end I just gave up & only went to cover the race for the forum & take photos.

tbh, I'm beginning to wonder if I will carry on. Spending loads on fuel & B&Bs - not to mention time away from my daughter when the weekends is really the only time I get to spend with her for no real monetary return at all and zero recognition at all from the team. Again, happy for me to take photos of the cars & publicise the races on the forum & facebook page and offer little in return. Not even a seat in the hospitality tent so I can have some peace and quiet to work on the photos for the site and a bit of free nosh. (Food at the venues is rarely cheap).

Didn't seem like asking too much in return for the publicity really, but no. Got a bit disillusioned with the whole thing really all take take take and give nothing back.
Its a real shame to hear this,you would have though their most loyal customers are going to be those who don the old MG badge and they need to make sure these people are treated right,well done to you though for missing out on some of your weekends that could have been better spent and giving your time up for everyone here

·
Administrator
31,560 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, MG got wind of the thread and wanted it stopped so that people didn't think they were linked to the old MGR.
That might sound odd but I wouldnt put it past them.
To be fair, MG are not the key player in the team, they're a sponsor of the team, but its was made clear to me its not MG's team and they really don't have a massive say in what the team does or operates.

I recon he simply wasn't expecting the range of questions, from the ridiculous to the sensible and in the end didn't have the time to go through the thread answering the questions Even when they were summarised by Stu.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still support the team and the drivers & will go to some more races, but I doubt JP will be reaching out to any internet forums again. I hope he does come back and answer the questions, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
I recon he simply wasn't expecting the range of questions...
To be fair none of his posts ever promised to answer any questions, just to keep us up to date which in a way he is doing, not that I am all that interested in most of the updates!:
Jason's favourite sandwich filling takes Tesco's pole position

At the same time, Tesco's very special Jason Plato buttie has taken pole position at Tesco Petrol Filling Stations right across the country. Apparently it's his all-time favourite sandwich filling, and the general driving public seem to agree. The Jason Plato sandwich is a delicious Tesco Deli Club ham, coleslaw and jalapeno mayonnaise masterpiece, launched recently to celebrate Tesco's BTCC MG KX Momentum team sponsorship and is only available via Tesco Petrol Filling Station kiosks.

·
Administrator
54,941 Posts
I spoke to Triple 8 at the time of the announcement and they made it very clear they do not get involved with internet forums at all.

They have a twitter account, but even that has gone quiet since the launch. Its mainly the Tesco Momentum people who are talking it up.

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
This attitude is a great shame as all it's really done is create an atmosphere which is totally unnecessary.

If they hadn't posted no one would be any the wiser and there'd be no hard feelings.

All in all a poor effort which would have been better if nothing had been done at all.

It's one thing to alienate the great unwashed it's another to do so with fans who ARE bothered.

·
Administrator
31,560 Posts
This attitude is a great shame as all it's really done is create an atmosphere which is totally unnecessary.

If they hadn't posted no one would be any the wiser and there'd be no hard feelings.

All in all a poor effort which would have been better if nothing had been done at all.

It's one thing to alienate the great unwashed it's another to do so with fans who ARE bothered.
For once & I may print this out & frame it. I completely, 110% agree with you Forehead.

Blimey, I think I may need to go and lie down for a bit now.

181 - 200 of 202 Posts