MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! Today I finished refurbishing my PAS pump by cutting new paper gasket as the original one was leaking badly. After installing it, filled with fluid, started the engine but no power steering at all. Left it running for about 10 minutes, tried rotating the wheel from side to side but still nothing. Seems it makes no pressure as there's no movement in the reservoir. Is there anything I should do? I double checked everything and could not find any faults. Any ideas, please?

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Stick a trolley jack under the front cross member and lift the front wheels off of the ground and with the engine running spin the steering from left lock to right lock and back again a few times. Chances are it is an airlock in it.

I have got to do the same job on mine at some point as my PAS pump has worn out.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, E_T_V! Sadly no luck. Do you know where I can find a diagram of the internal parts of the pump as I may have assembled something wrongly?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorted. The gasket I cut was way too thick keeping two halves further apart when tightened, not allowing inner sealing and hence no pressure. A thinner gasket solved the problem.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Great news. Is the pump replacement difficult? (I'll need to do mine soon). Is yours the aircon or non aircon setup?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the aircon type(I never knew they were different). Replacement is pretty straightforward. There are five bolts holding the pump, two longer ones going into the water pump housing and three shorter ones. They all go through a thick plate. Space is a bit tight but there's just enough space for the 10 mm socket to fit in. Possibly the trickiest bit is to lock pas pump to water pump as it drives it. Not too difficult but quite messy especially when you undo the metal pipe and hose. It's actually far easier to remove the pump with the rubber hose on and undo it from the reservoir. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
I think mine is on the blink as from cold start the power steering doesn't really work for the first 30 seconds. I guess I can't complain too much though. 300k miles is a fair inning for a pump.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after replacing the gasket, sadly it's leaking again. Not as much but enough to make the aux belt slippery. I think it could be shaft seals actually. Do you know if the 200/400/25/45 diesels, pumps are the same as the one found on the 600? So it would be easier to get a replacement.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It leaks right from the seal at the back where it enters the water pump housing. I guess seal can be replaced. Are these available anywhere?

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
I'm afraid I don't know whether the 200/400 25/45 etc fit. I suspect there could be differences from aircon to non aircon but I'll soon have to find out myself as my pump is dying for some reason. After 310k miles I can't really complain too much though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts