MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No power at all in the 25!
My wife was going to the market, opened the doors with the fob as usual and then since no power at all: nothing is lighted when you open the door, and even the fob is now unable to open or shut the doors.
Indeed I tested the battery: 12.2V.
But just in case I've put it in charge.
What's going on? Never ever had I such a problem with any of my cars.
It's like there's no battery.
The battery is a very good one, an AGM Banner (Austrian brand), not old (3 years), duly & regularly maintained with my Noco Genius charger.
I'm dejected...
The car was fine until yesterday evening: it worked without any problem until 9.30pm...
Thanks a lot for your kind help.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the inertia button? :unsure:

Nothing looks wrong actually under the bonnet. The lead from the battery to the slam panel is rather short.
But after an hour charge I noticed that the power was back in the car. o_O
Then I tested the fob and shut the doors. Then impossible to open it back again with the fob: no power again in the car! :sick:
But the charger being still on, the power came back again after a short while! o_O
Hence I took an hair-dryer to dry battery connectors and the surroundings just in case (no water ingress though). Then I put a few drops of WD40 on the extremity of both leads (+ & -) including the extremity on the slam panel.
Now I'm waiting till the battery is in full charge (the progress is going nicely), then I'll try to start up the car.
But why is the power gone when I successfully used the fob to shut the car? 😤

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm totally puzzled... Could the AGM battery (stronger than needed - 60Ah - 640A) be wrong after 3 years only??

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
Of course that car battery can be problem. Actually I did not have any battery that lasted longer then 3 years and a month or two longer, if battery is in constant use. Only if battery is not in constant use (meaning terminals are not connected), it can last longer.
No matter how expensive battery is, or how "good" battery is. It will last exactly as written on warranty and possibly month longer. That is it.
Only batteries with warranty of 5 years will last 5 years and a month longer.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may be right despite the fact I assumed the AGM batteries were long lasting ones, say 5 years or thereabouts.
Nevertheless mine is 3 years and 5 1/2 months old (with 33k km) and had got a 2 years guarantee.

Here are the last developments.
Nothing looks corroded or rotten, broken or knackered under the bonnet.
But the battery had a very weird 'behaviour' in the beginning of the afternoon.
After 3 or 4 hours charge, I tried starting the engine and there was a nasty flickering of the dash lamps & rather high pitched sounds. It looked like the amperage wasn't stable. When stopping lights on the dash were rather fading.
But I succeeded at the third attempt (mind that battery off, the ECU has forgot it was fuelled with ethanol) and at idling the revs were good.
I'd got 14.4V when running and 13.05V when off.
Hence my better half is gone shopping and I'm hearing now she's back.
Probably a warning from the battery before a likely death?
@Roverlike I bet you're going to give me the advice to buy another one, but maybe with 5 years guarantee?

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Obviously in 45 years of driving, I'd known batteries dying but weakening beforehand, for example with the very well known klick-klick just at the start up with a little remaining power elsewhere, but never ever I'd experienced such a weird, sudden & total loss as happened today.
Maybe I'm not old enough & have yet lots of tricks to learn... :giggle:

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I ended ordering a new battery as expected: VARTA C6 Silver Dynamic 52Ah / 520A for 65€ (£56)on Amazon.fr.
On Ebay.fr the same was 10€ more (£8.60) and my local retailer 'gave' them for 20€ more (£17.20)!

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've just swapped the batteries on the morning.
Until yesterday the old one still accepted to work provided it will be charged beforehand with my Noco Genius charger. But a slight hesitation nearly on every first start up of the day with something of a high pitched sound, but working at the second attempt. I assume that the start up needs a lot of Amp and that the battery is weakening, despite the fact that when I took it off, it was still 12.5V (but a tad more than 13V on the eve).
The answer will be given on Monday, but I foresee a hard start up because the ECU, being off during a quarter of an hour, has likely forgotten that the car was fuelled with ethanol (E85). It was the same uneasy start a few days ago after the first battery failure.
Time will tell and fingers crossed that the problem will be solved. Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And the culprit was: the 3 1/2 years old battery!
Congratulations @Roverlike !
@ROVER-25X nearly as soon as I switched on the engine on the morning (10 a.m, still a bit chilly), 3 or 4 seconds and it started at the first time, which is a kind of performance because of the E85 mandatory adjustment of the ethanol kit.
No creaky or suspicious frequency but the normal one when firing up after a battery swap.
I hope the new VARTA battery will last 3 years at least...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts