MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2005 mgtf which has a boot release fitted. My battery is completely dead therefore I cannot get in the boot to release the bonnet to charge the battery. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
mg_tf
49 Posts
My cigarette lighter socket on my 2009 is permanent live. It could be possible (I think) to plug into the socket and connect a battery charger. Intact some of the chargers have a pre wired 12v plug, so you could simply plug in and leave for an hour. You would have to make sure your charger isn't capable of pushing to much current through it or you could run the risk of blowing the fuse for the socket. Maybe be worth a try.

·
Registered
mg_tf
419 Posts
You posted while I was typing

According to my diagrams your cigar lighter should always be live, if you can get an accessory plug to fit it you should be able to connect your charger to it and charge the battery. The positive connection is the centre button on the plug and there’s a 10A fuse in line so don’t exceed this when charging.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My cigarette lighter socket on my 2009 is permanent live. It could be possible (I think) to plug into the socket and connect a battery charger. Intact some of the chargers have a pre wired 12v plug, so you could simply plug in and leave for an hour. You would have to make sure your charger isn't capable of pushing to much current through it or you could run the risk of blowing the fuse for the socket. Maybe be worth a try.
There is no cigarette lighter.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,018 Posts
What is in it's place? The wiring could well be still be there, trying to charge the battery or at least have enough power to pop the boot seems like the best solution.

·
Registered
mg_tf
49 Posts
Every MGTF has the socket in the centre console near the hand brake. There must be an hole in the console where it was. Maybe as Chris T says the wiring is still there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi I have a 2005 mgtf which has a boot release fitted. My battery is completely dead therefore I cannot get in the boot to release the bonnet to charge the battery. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
hcochrane do you know if the electric boot releases are still available for the TF. I have a 2005 model and would love to have the accessory.
Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts